LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

On 9/10/2023 at 10:57 PM, DoctorDaveLGT said:

Dang, there's a lot of good activity going on in here lately. Love to see it!

It's really a love/hate relationship with the auctions. I picked up a mint S402 shift knob from there about a week ago. Still amazes me that even with $24 shipping it got delivered within 3 days. Probably won't even put this on the car unless I take it to a show. There's also an S402 CF front lip listed currently and I'm really struggling not bidding to have a spare one for a rainy day.

3.thumb.jpg.b84da93807e59b3381a77e920afb478f.jpg

Still in the tuning process and taking logs every other day with the wagon and it's starting to get really fun. JMP's 18g pulls like an absolute freight train compared to the VF40. Installed a dp on the BMW recently so I'm also in the tuning process for it as well. It's interesting doing logs back-to-back between the two. BMW reminds me of the Subaru with the VF40 as the oem turbo runs out of gas toward redline, but it spools super quick. The ZF8 transmission is wicked for what it is (also tuned). 

Other than that I gave the Legacy a really deep clean & quick wax then decided to line up 3 of the 4 ladies. S2000 is still in storage and even though the Jeep is in one pic I don't consider it a lady, more of a moose. I do wish I paid better attention & remembered more from my HS photography class cuz I frickin suck at taking good photos.

1.thumb.jpg.9834f7d9a8e27b71ab37522c778887d3.jpg2.thumb.jpg.e4bbd65116ed50ebc3f7a0843dfa60f6.jpg

I did not see that pic. Your wagons all good. Man, I want these rims on my 06.

How is the 18g turbo lag? Does it annoy you compared to a VF40? My 06 has a standard VF40 and 05 has a JMP VF52. The former responds so quickly, but sure, the VF52 produces more torque once it kicks in. I just wish it would respond as quickly as the VF40...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, xt2005bonbon said:

I just wish it would respond as quickly as the VF40...

Try to get a ride in a Custom JMP VF40 equipped car.... I could not believe how fast boost builds with this little thing on my first few drives vs the OE VF40 it replaced. Used to it now, but it still doesn't fail to thrill on normal roads and generally law abiding kinds of driving...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I only have personal experience driving the VF40 and JMP CVF40, and it's a pretty big difference. Never been in/driven an 18G, but I suspect it would be quite a bit slower than your JMP VF52.

Is your VF52 the "Custom" JMP version? He'd be the guy to fill you in on the minutea, but if not, the lower weight of the billet compressor and inconel shaft etc.... really do make them wind up a lot faster. Just wondering if there might be an incrimental price to have him upgrade from his already "treated" turbo to the Custom level stuff. You'd get to keep all the added kick of the '52, but drop a couple hundo worth of spool...

@xt2005bonbon The lag is not bad at all but I can't really quantify just how quick it spools yet. Haven't done any driving/logging to capture that specific data and we're currently ironing out the tip in as it has a slight lean spike. I looked at one of the more recent logs and when doing 3rd gear WOT pulls starting at 3k and in vacuum it will hit full boost by 3.6k-3.7k rpm. The BMW turbo is a punchy little twin scroll and even when driving the cars back to back I've never thought "man, the Subaru has way more lag". I'll report back once the tuning is done for the Subaru. We've been focusing on the BMW more just because it's essentially a Stg2 pro-tune and also one of the kid haulers so it's taking priority.

JMP had said that it should spool just slightly slower than a stock VF40. Also, keep in mind I've got KillerB holy headers, up pipe & hard inlet feeding the turbo and the car is noticeably more torque-y outside of boost.

Regarding the Raijin's, if you're patient enough I may be changing them up in the next year or two for something lighter and forged. I LOVE the design but also having Raijin's on the Acura....I've really come to hate cleaning those mf's. I've been eyeing a set of APEX VS-5RS's but think I'll reserve those for the BMW since they're essentially rep's of the 763M wheels that came on the previous gen M2 CS.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/4/2023 at 12:26 PM, seanyb505 said:

Hearing a ticking sound under load. Sounds like it's coming from under the car, but haven't been able to identify where. It only lasts a few seconds before I have to get out of throttle. It almost sounds like a bunch of zip ties around the driveshaft. 

Initial visual inspection showed no obvious marks on the drive shafts or axles. 

Wondering what worst case scenario is. Would a turbo going sound like that? It's not really a squeally sound, and performance is still fine. 

Edit: Drove some back roads for boost. No noise. 

This noise is coming back more routinely, but still intermittent. Idling away or very light throttle, no noise. Noise is starting to be more present in normal acceleration, about 2.5-3k rpms and lasts as long as I keep load the same. As soon as I back out the noise stops. Heavy load maybe noise, but can't hear over exhaust. Will not make noise in neutral while revving the engine.

It's not really temperature, rpm, or speed dependent. It sounds like something rotating while hitting a heat shield or similar thin metal. 

Going to pull the down pipe tomorrow, but open to other ideas. 

Edited by seanyb505

14 hours ago, Enlight said:

A progress pic of the vinyl wrap (3M Satin Key West) being applied.

progress_pic.jpg

The bumper will be tough. I'm also curious how they'll approach the roof, given it's one piece from the bottom of the A-pillar back to the wing. I keep thinking about wrapping my wagon, but the roof gives me conniptions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tehspud said:

The bumper will be tough. I'm also curious how they'll approach the roof, given it's one piece from the bottom of the A-pillar back to the wing. I keep thinking about wrapping my wagon, but the roof gives me conniptions. 

I’ve also considered wrapping my obxt then I look at all the pieces and curves and flares and remind myself that it’s far more difficult than I remember lol. It’s one of those jobs where once you’re far enough into it that there’s no turning back and you start wondering “why am I hurting myself” “f$;) this I’ll never do it again” and “how much antifreeze do I need to drink again?”. There is a video of someone wrapping either an ob or leg on YouTube somewhere in green if I remember correctly. The roof actually didn’t look too difficult.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, blackobxt said:

I’ve also considered wrapping my obxt then I look at all the pieces and curves and flares and remind myself that it’s far more difficult than I remember lol. It’s one of those jobs where once you’re far enough into it that there’s no turning back and you start wondering “why am I hurting myself” “f$;) this I’ll never do it again” and “how much antifreeze do I need to drink again?”. There is a video of someone wrapping either an ob or leg on YouTube somewhere in green if I remember correctly. The roof actually didn’t look too difficult.

This one? 

Doesn’t really show the roof very well. Looks like he did it in 3 pieces though, you can see the seam in one of the pan over shots. IMG_9927.thumb.png.effdb6f01de00bc7db664c46024e6d5f.png

It's funny, I've always preferred permanent "real" solutions and would naturally gravitate towards paint while looking down on wraps and plastidip. Between advertising muFreight and wanting to paint match JDM bits to my matte black paint, I've used both of the latter. My wrap installer is one of the most affordable in the area that's not a fly by night operation, but the cost is almost on the cusp paint territory. Still, I didn't want to permanently paint this design on my car - if muFreight takes off I may get an actual company car.

I'm going to try to make this wrap as long as I can. Gtechniq's Halo coating is specific to PPF's/Vinyl and I'll also be using Carpro Perl on top of that.

• Like 2

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

2 minutes ago, Enlight said:

It's funny, I've always preferred permanent "real" solutions and would naturally gravitate towards paint while looking down on wraps and plastidip. Between advertising muFreight and wanting to paint match JDM bits to my matte black paint, I've used both of the latter. My wrap installer is one of the most affordable in the area that's not a fly by night operation, but the cost is almost on the cusp paint territory. Still, I didn't want to permanently paint this design on my car - if muFreight takes off I may get an actual company car.

I'm going to try to make this wrap as long as I can. Gtechniq's Halo coating is specific to PPF's/Vinyl and I'll also be using Carpro Perl on top of that.

We did paint and body in our shop and a proper color change was far more the undertaking than I even imagined. I looked down on stuff like plasti dip but when wrap came along I was a lot more intrigued at changing the color by putting stickers on the car. Roll of vinyl was like $600 which is a hell of a price for a color change then I realized how difficult it was lol. Also yes I believe that’s the video but I could have sworn there was one of them doing the roof, I distinctly remember them removing the rails.

9 hours ago, Lone_wolf_subie said:

Continued to clean and conditioner the leather seats 😮‍💨 this is going to be a long process I think

What are you using? I have cracks and damages on some of my seats. I may try products from furnitureclinic.com to fix them. 

Pulled my wideband gauge out of center cubby and was able to feed my serial port connector behind the dash to it with a long piece of aluminum ground wire.  Now I can log AFR whenever I get this thing working.

Did another boost leak test.  Not building any pressure in the engine, but I can hear I have a major leak under intake near the PCV.  I guess I'll pull the TMIC and look for anything that might be leaking, altho all the hoses in that area are new.

Also put some Autoglym leather conditioner on the steering wheel.  It's pretty rough.