LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

Every boat and tractor trailer in America is required to carry an extinguisher. I don’t understand why it’s not regulated in passenger cars.

I’ve carried one in my cars since high school.  We had a kid nearly burn his hands off trying to open the hood on his burning Vw Jetta.  Car burned to the ground along with his fancy sound system.

I put one in my wife’s car and she asked why. “It may save someone’s life one day, that’s why.” 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

Hi guys I've haven't had this 2006 subaru legacy for long but having problems after changing gears I get a thump /jerk in shift mode like someone hit me in the back that's driving fast and changing in high rpms.in drive it drives good and smooth even foot flat I've replaced fuilds and filter in both different and Trans.i don't won't to pay anymore getting it fixed pls so.eone point me in right direction 

15 hours ago, Febreze Mee said:

Now is probably a good time to plug this very thread too, since we're on the topic:

I agree that this is probably a fantastic system, and worth it, but Yikes! $400.

The monoammonium phosphate in a standard ABC extinguisher can be a pain to clean, but I guess I hope to never use it, so cleanup isn't the thing I'm worried about.

2 hours ago, m sprank said:

Just remember... the extinguisher is there to save YOU, not the car. Use it to get out any way you must, but for gods sake let the car burn once you are clear.

Honestly, I'd never even considered this. I ONLY ever thought about the extinguisher as a means to save my car (or someone else's) if something went awry. Food for thought. I should maybe mount a smaller one up front where it's accessible from the drivers seat. If the goal is to use it to get yourself out, then it being in the backseat wouldn't help much. Then again, everything is dangerous, so.... you can't go through life wearing waterwings and a helmet.

• Like 1

If you ever encounter a car-b-que on road, and I hope none do, it is not something you are going to generally put out with a fire extinguisher.  I have seen more than my fair share and been in two.  In general vehicles burn fast.  Interiors, plastics, fuel, it is all highly combustible. 

Even in a race car the Halon system is to save the driver, not the car. 

If all its good for is breaking the glass so you can escape, use the extinguisher for that.  If you are on fire, put yourself out with it.  Blast a cloud around you and GO.  Just get away from the impending explosion.  And DO NOT mount it on the a-pillar.  If I have to explain, maybe you should mount it there. 

If you survived a burning car, dont risk your life trying to save the car. 

True story.  Co-workers of my mother and father, family friends.  Late 80's.  Went on a trip in their RV, engine was having issues.  Husband removed engine compartment cover from inside cabin (type C van type cockpit), wife poured fuel directly into carb.  Yes, play stupid games win stupid prizes, but....  Fire erupted, husband, wife and 8 year old girl escaped.  Dog did not and when the little girl heard its howls she ran into the burning RV to rescue the dog.  Ever see a fiberglass RV burn???  Little girl and the dog never made it out.

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, Febreze Mee said:

Unless your waterwings and a helmet are gauges 🥸

Oooooo those the new Defi’s? Very nice.

Let’s not restart the gauge ruckus here, but looking good.

I think my Oil pressure will also be a safety thing. Engine health + potentially driver safety.

• Like 1

Gauges should only be to help you get out of the car when the oil pressure fails. If the oil pressure fails, ynasb and you need to exit the situation immediately. 

🙃

I'm an idiot 

Edited by seanyb505
  • Haha 2

Just some maintenance and simple upgrade done this last week.

I replaced the front CV, wheel bearing, and replaced the ball joint/endlinks with a Whiteline roll center/bump steer kit. 

Changed out the trans fluid

And, for the first time ever in this car had the interior professionally detailed/cleaned.  What a difference!  We had all the cars done, they needed it even with how "OCD" I consider myself.

In doing the above I found a TINY leak in my stoptech stainless line, so the car is parked until I replace them, bleed and then gp to get it aligned and see what I think about the roll-center kit on this car.  I've only tried it on a GC and with tons of other changes at the same time, so it was difficult to pin point the difference it made.

WL kit.jpg

Edited by Kaos22B
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, m sprank said:

If you ever encounter a car-b-que on road, and I hope none do, it is not something you are going to generally put out with a fire extinguisher.  I have seen more than my fair share and been in two.  In general vehicles burn fast.  Interiors, plastics, fuel, it is all highly combustible. 

Even in a race car the Halon system is to save the driver, not the car. 

If all its good for is breaking the glass so you can escape, use the extinguisher for that.  If you are on fire, put yourself out with it.  Blast a cloud around you and GO.  Just get away from the impending explosion.  And DO NOT mount it on the a-pillar.  If I have to explain, maybe you should mount it there. 

If you survived a burning car, dont risk your life trying to save the car. 

True story.  Co-workers of my mother and father, family friends.  Late 80's.  Went on a trip in their RV, engine was having issues.  Husband removed engine compartment cover from inside cabin (type C van type cockpit), wife poured fuel directly into carb.  Yes, play stupid games win stupid prizes, but....  Fire erupted, husband, wife and 8 year old girl escaped.  Dog did not and when the little girl heard its howls she ran into the burning RV to rescue the dog.  Ever see a fiberglass RV burn???  Little girl and the dog never made it out.

Dang this is sad, but stuff happens. I will let my 06 burn before I try to save it. Then I have an excuse to get a GTR or an R8 :) 

5 hours ago, BoozeRS05 said:

My goal is to have everything I can do done before tuning.. Will an aftermarket FPR will require a tune or could I install it on an otherwise stock/ots tune?

Should not, as long as it is a ~3 bar FPR. Or if adjustable, can be set to 42psi (no vacuum reference).

But then, as much as ‘aftermarket’ ones are great, if you’re not adding so much turbo + E85 etc… that you *need* more fuel pressure, why spend x2 the price on something other than the STi unit?

Bling would be a legitimate, if expensive reason. 😄

• Like 2

Started in on drilling and sanding out all the spot welds that hold the rad core support in place. Dirt job, and I would never want to be a panel beater.

I was hoping to keep this a simple DIY type job, but the welder may have to come out to put it all back together properly. We shall see.

56370B76-E407-468C-8E40-1A9E1237DB24.thumb.jpeg.9de0b33a2a97248e174fffc59e5fd8f9.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Febreze Mee said:

Ben, is it loaded down in the back? The rear looks as though it's squatting. 

Rough photo angle, there is a set of wheels and tires back there though. Also maybe could raise it up a tick more.  Drives nice on the track. Need to do new front brakes before the 5th as well. Pads are toast. 

14CACB42-4A1E-4586-BFEC-DF843C4485DB.jpeg

• Like 2

Oh wow! Looks like there's plenty of material left, but it looks white as if the material got cooked up. Is this the reason for replacing?

PCA is putting on a Driver Skills June 10th at Bremerton that I would like to make. I just won't be comfortable doing so unless I have at least 5000mi on this new engine. In the first week of operation, I put just under 1000mi on it. I won't be able to get back to the car until May 10, so I'll have just over 28 days to put another 4000mi through it before its first synthetic oil change. And work out any kinks that come between now and then. 

• Like 4

MILKRUN  - Click Here

20 hours ago, Febreze Mee said:

Oh wow! Looks like there's plenty of material left, but it looks white as if the material got cooked up. Is this the reason for replacing?

PCA is putting on a Driver Skills June 10th at Bremerton that I would like to make. I just won't be comfortable doing so unless I have at least 5000mi on this new engine. In the first week of operation, I put just under 1000mi on it. I won't be able to get back to the car until May 10, so I'll have just over 28 days to put another 4000mi through it before its first synthetic oil change. And work out any kinks that come between now and then. 

Hmmm. I should maybe sign up for that. Bring the Starlet down.  

Ordered some  Brembo brake rotors and Powerstop track day pads. They were well priced and have gotten great reviews. Will give a review after I try them out.  And yes, replacing because those pads are glazed over. Few too many 130-40mph braking coming into turn 1. 

Edited by Gex
  • Like 1

I finished the paint correction and ceramic coating.  Also ordered a new Koyorad aluminum radiator to replace the failed one.  It's supposed to be here tomorrow so I can get it installed before I take my daughter to Atlanta Friday for the Taylor Swift concert.  

PXL_20230425_220656801.jpg

PXL_20230425_220635047.jpg

PXL_20230425_220612911.jpg

• Like 6