LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

Found out how much power the 5MT reverse gear holds...now the gear needs a dentist

<.< >.>

Video or it didnt happen!!

Seriously? Did you hit boost in reverse?

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

Can anyone do me a favor and measure the 4th Gen Legacy rear sway bar distance from endlink to endlink? Mine is still in the paint shop or else I'd measure it myself.

It **looks** just like a Tribeca bar...there are no Tribeca sway bars and the rear bar is only 14mm.

RSBs are different between LGT and Tribeca B9 (06-07). Went through this years ago thinking about putting spare Perrin RSB I had from LGT on Tribeca. Shapes were different enough as Tribeca's bends around spare wheel underneath.

Unless Subaru changed RSB design from 07 forward.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Also, putting in a Whiteline 20mm rear swaybar with the AVOJDM reinforcement brackets.

Interesting that I didn't bend the stock RSB mounting brackets even though I have JDM RSB and autox-ed car for few years.

Going this Saturday to Devens first time in 7 years, hoping my LGT holds together. :cool:

RSBs are different between LGT and Tribeca B9 (06-07). Went through this years ago thinking about putting spare Perrin RSB I had from LGT on Tribeca. Shapes were different enough as Tribeca's bends around spare wheel underneath.

Unless Subaru changed RSB design from 07 forward.

Thanks. At first glance they look similar but as are much different. I contacted a local company (Roadmaster) to see if they can make one. A 14mm rear bar just doesn't cut it as rhe Tribeca feels like a boat.

honestly I would have expected to reverse to hold up to more given that it is straight cut.

In other news, now that I am back to driving I am reminded how many quart of oil I use between fill ups. Time to start budgeting for a type RA short block and a few other goodies. I think I need some of awful's crazy weekend bender type motivation to pull the trigger and make a "quick" turn around

Its time this car gets a new heart...the rest of the car deserves it

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

honestly I would have expected to reverse to hold up to more given that it is straight cut.

In other news, now that I am back to driving I am reminded how many quart of oil I use between fill ups. Time to start budgeting for a type RA short block and a few other goodies. I think I need some of awful's crazy weekend bender type motivation to pull the trigger and make a "quick" turn around

Its time this car gets a new heart...the rest of the car deserves it

Nah... My car was consuming oil since day 1, probably not as much then but since going Stage2 it's about the same... I'd say until it becomes a 2 stroke style gas + oil mix drive it :)

lol its getting pretty close to that. It is in the plans to refresh the engine. A lot of the work I just did to the current engine easily transfers over to a new short block. I don't plan to go crazy. Likely stock everything except down pipe, oil pan and head studs. I have refreshed just about everything else on this car to make it as 'new' as possible. I would love to be able to go a few gas fills before needing to check oil. I wonder if a new down pipe with not (likely) 2 clogged cats would help with any sort of back pressure causing undo oil consumption (could also just simply be the car has 244k on original engine)

side note: 300 miles on my rebuilt steering rack and still dry. I'll give it a little more time before I open the tie rod boots and check there

Edited by jaylew

Steering Rack Rebuild

Straight cut but super thin is my guess on why it failed. Interesting that the driving gear is so thick by comparison. (different trans, no I didn't tear the one in the car down already :lol:)

20191221_144821.thumb.jpg.5c8b108065020a6b6cae10708cf2e6b9.jpg

That would be awesome if you can.If you're removing the bar, can you grab a measurement from endlink to endlink (bar measurement) just in case boxkita isn't able to get to it? Thanks.

Sorry bud, I caught wind of this too late. I'm having a shop do the work because of time, if you want, I can still ask.

In the end, my knock is coming from play in the steering joint which is fun...

lol its getting pretty close to that. It is in the plans to refresh the engine. A lot of the work I just did to the current engine easily transfers over to a new short block. I don't plan to go crazy. Likely stock everything except down pipe, oil pan and head studs. I have refreshed just about everything else on this car to make it as 'new' as possible. I would love to be able to go a few gas fills before needing to check oil. I wonder if a new down pipe with not (likely) 2 clogged cats would help with any sort of back pressure causing undo oil consumption (could also just simply be the car has 244k on original engine)

side note: 300 miles on my rebuilt steering rack and still dry. I'll give it a little more time before I open the tie rod boots and check there

Well FWIW I did backwash the DP when I had it off for 6MT swap, two metal buckets from Tractor Supply, cheese cloth from Stop and Shop for filtering the crap out and a gallon of acetone. Some amount of black crap came out. CNT catted DP.

I have 238K now on the original motor. Hoping it holds another year or two. I need to decide what comes after that, a new EJ257 SB or go full SuperGramps with EZ30 swap and turbo that. Decisions, decisions...

Well FWIW I did backwash the DP when I had it off for 6MT swap, two metal buckets from Tractor Supply, cheese cloth from Stop and Shop for filtering the crap out and a gallon of acetone. Some amount of black crap came out. CNT catted DP.

I'll give that a try. Clean it...why didn't i think of that haha

Steering Rack Rebuild

Replaced rear dust shields with new ones I bought from Mikkyk97 in the classifieds. I'm getting very good at assembling the the parking brakes. It's only a one person job if you can manage to balance/hang the lever arm on the parking cable. When you pull the spring sleeve back it will just fall into place.0e885e097192149b68a9bd89d71acd38.jpg30a3c94065afcdfa6dcfcecc6af4e074.jpgc322539cb9beb7b7cef351f93837cf31.jpg

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

Replaced rear dust shields with new ones I bought from Mikkyk97 in the classifieds. I'm getting very good at assembling the the parking brakes. It's only a one person job if you can manage to balance/hang the lever arm on the parking cable. When you pull the spring sleeve back it will just fall into place.c322539cb9beb7b7cef351f93837cf31.jpg

Ready to pounce :lol:

The last tire came in, so I took it to the shop to get new tires put on the SSRs.

The tires look really meaty and appear to fill the wheel well better than the previous tires, even though they're nearly the same diameter.

NkfQk1-d0ohbp388KpWVl1hY2WPTJTaO_oChFIOlDjuS7d2V96bRUtyRHdynSkXtvxeg3767CUoJfCJoQ2AwDN6W231CbR1j1B3Qo-SqEdYbegwAU_SrfjcKBw0ovnGmBMk-4xoAveWEsL8Dnv8EvY7w03DLASJrrf_aE8DiATOnOVR5oxzMPCr_xIadV-iQmJy-CWsr3zDB2l4IFwNu0Xio3bn2bSdjnZ5TrwpmzRdOmMWDe9BCznzITZLK3r4aG8xhZIQu4yT0Q2DrMKi_HGZqH_fI8CJqsMLA9lvdhxPK6o3Mh2SzszPUyl-jWjv5yuW7VvRBIQj1xAiRs_NY6kHkK6voRwYu7kRja9UqRokMiXCZoGyu5SFwC_SgRWHUC6xZvm1IMbO7_6rgHSJ_HG-rNxo7d6EnC4i1z3WzXu3K55EhzZqLa0vuBh-VwUyauKsIlm3-oiZYLE4yESIsaZ7EnKyxJPYDYcCzkSkV3SoQmNNtoXIjR9x1mdf7834DAx8AEyV8V5720VoNjBes3n3WwFlWLHgAgzebmNE2HhmfiGYj5d4_loSxlFCaWfylWrSrQi14dOhTHo79oN3rSGwhH5gHE_qhA_xWeWxUyKGKxeWmZCRF4Wj5XHaxi970Ue0G_ktNpBjy7QjXRxSLB1qmu7CLkJoQNZmdajy75ehzo2ABW-4FmXc2q-vjA16KgsQLxekZO5ECsUFV5a07AEtq=w992-h661-no?authuser=0

SC

Edited by Smithcraft
That was on the way home. The center caps have been put on.

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

Swapped out Swift Springs for STi Pinks last night. I've done this too often, I can do the full swap in <2hrs... :argh:

Just wasn't a fan of the pairing of Swift and Koni, some people love it, I didn't.

Hoping that STi Pinks are more to my liking. Pictures once she settles in.

I'm attempting to post in a classifieds thread (specifically the interior swap thread) but it says you may not post replies. So how am I supposed to use the thread at all? Am I just too late and this place is dead at this point? What's the deal.

I think you need 10 post before you can do that.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Swapped out Swift Springs for STi Pinks last night. I've done this too often, I can do the full swap in <2hrs... :argh:

Just wasn't a fan of the pairing of Swift and Koni, some people love it, I didn't.

Hoping that STi Pinks are more to my liking. Pictures once she settles in.

Curious to hear your thoughts, this is the combo I wanted to do eventually.

Anyone know if JMP is still rebuilding turbos? I emailed him over a month ago but never heard back.
I have been in contact with John lately and plan to send my turbo his way this week or next. Yes, he is still in business.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I'm attempting to post in a classifieds thread (specifically the interior swap thread) but it says you may not post replies. So how am I supposed to use the thread at all? Am I just too late and this place is dead at this point? What's the deal.

We don't want new members to go straight to the classifieds. So you must accumulate 10 posts before posting there.

Why don't you fill out your profile, say hello to some people, maybe donate before you try to profit from the site. This is a huge resource for all of us and it's free. Don't be lame and welcome.