LegacyGT.com

What do you eat for a living?

whitexc

I don't consider an open faced sandwich a sandwich. It's a meal that happens to be coupled with your dinner bread. Do you consider a bread bowl French onion soup, an onion sandwich?

I think being able to eat it relatively successfully with your hands, needs to be a qualifier.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't consider an open faced sandwich a sandwich. It's a meal that happens to be coupled with your dinner bread. Do you consider a bread bowl French onion soup, an onion sandwich?

I think being able to eat it relatively successfully with your hands, needs to be a qualifier.

Exactly, having to eat a sandwich with a fork excludes it from the sandwich category. Also, putting Turkey, gravy and Mashed potatoes on top of a piece of bread does not make it a sandwich, it makes it a thanksgiving dinner on top of a piece of bread.

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

I think we can agree that sandwiches should at least be more solid than liquid or gas. So 50% < solid which leaves in sloppy joes.

The problem is that if you cut a wrap in half, then it suddenly becomes a sandwich because it has two slices of bread? But before then it's a burrito? That's just madness.

Sandwiches are any combination of pre-cooked dough, with any of the following:

meat

vegetables

fruit

condiments

anything else you can think of.

Notice "pre-cooked" dough. This is what separates Pizza from sandwiches.

Open faced sandwiches cannot be thrown out of the sandwich category. They have nowhere else to go. What's next, calling an open faced sandwich a pizza? That's nuts.

Edited by Dishwasher

Brought to you by Pfizer

Yes they can be thrown out and placed into a new category, Dinner on top of a piece of bread:

sand·wich

/ˈsanˌ(d)wiCH/

noun

noun: sandwich; plural noun: sandwiches

1. 1.
    an item of food consisting of two pieces of bread with meat, cheese, or other filling between them, eaten as a light meal.
    "a ham sandwich"

Or better yet, it's called called a Tartine

http://chezbonnefemme.com/what-is-a-tartine-is-a-tartine-different-from-a-sandwich/

Edited by DickDastardly00

jimmyjohns1.jpg?quality=85&strip=all

Is this not a sandwich until it's sliced in half?

Correct, it's not. JJ raised this issue yesterday, a sub sandwich is usually sliced, or at least it should be if you are adhering to the sandwich rules.

And those are clearly wraps not sandwiches, wraps are cousins of the burrito. Wraps are not even the illegitimate step cousin on your sister's uncle's brother's side of the sandwich. They are not related, period.

Correct, it's not. JJ raised this issue yesterday, a sub sandwich is usually sliced, or at least it should be if you are adhering to the sandwich rules.

And those are clearly wraps not sandwiches, wraps are cousins of the burrito. Wraps are not even the illegitimate step cousin on your sister's uncle's brother's side of the sandwich. They are not related, period.

They are two slices of bread with a meat and cheese in between. Unfuck your definition.

Brought to you by Pfizer

Can we just tell dishwasher that a wrap is a sandwich and secretly mock him behind his back?

No, if you give him an inch, next he will be suggesting Lettuce Wraps are actually sandwiches minus the bread.

They are two slices of bread with a meat and cheese in between. Unfuck your definition.

The earl of sandwich is rolling in his grave. The definition is simple. Two slices, not one slice, not one slice served open-faced, two slices, Jonny Ringo, Two. You have problem with authority, time to send in Wyatt Earp.

Fuck the Massachusetts definition. That's appropriate only to MA anyways. Which, with the exception of a lobster roll, doesn't exactly have a huge reputation for being master sandwich makers. They're not my sandwich authority.

Im sure if we have the full case law in front of us, there is a definition relevant to 'piece of bread' or something along those lines. Perhaps we should refer to the Black's Law Dictionary, to see if 'bread' is in there. If we really cared, which we don't.

If it looks like bread and fillings, doesn't come in a tortilla-like shell, and can be eaten with your hands - it's a sandwich. Bread is the fundamental key. If it's joined by connective bread tissue (aka a traditional hoagie, grinder, sub), then so be it. It's still a sandwich. Two pieces of bread (or one large piece, connected in the middle by more flexible bread), some lettuce, mayo, and a piece of buffalo asshole is still a sandwich. A shitty sandwich, but still a sandwich.

While we're at it. If you put Miracle Whip on your sandwich, our forum moderator, LegGTLT, will ban your ass.

No, if you give him an inch, next he will be suggesting Lettuce Wraps are actually sandwiches minus the bread.

Hmmm, no.

The earl of sandwich is rolling in his grave. The definition is simple. Two slices, not one slice, not one slice served open-faced, two slices, Jonny Ringo, Two. You have problem with authority, time to send in Wyatt Earp.

A slice does not a sandwich make.

He's certainly rolling in his grave, but not because of me.

Brought to you by Pfizer

Fuck the Massachusetts definition. That's appropriate only to MA anyways. Which, with the exception of a lobster roll, doesn't exactly have a huge reputation for being master sandwich makers. They're not my sandwich authority.

Im sure if we have the full case law in front of us, there is a definition relevant to 'piece of bread' or something along those lines. Perhaps we should refer to the Black's Law Dictionary, to see if 'bread' is in there. If we really cared, which we don't.

If it looks like bread and fillings, doesn't come in a tortilla-like shell, and can be eaten with your hands - it's a sandwich. Bread is the fundamental key. If it's joined by connective bread tissue (aka a traditional hoagie, grinder, sub), then so be it. It's still a sandwich. Two pieces of bread (or one large piece, connected in the middle by more flexible bread), some lettuce, mayo, and a piece of buffalo asshole is still a sandwich. A shitty sandwich, but still a sandwich.

While we're at it. If you put Miracle Whip on your sandwich, our forum moderator, LegGTLT, will ban your ass.

That's much better, and I'm 100% behind you on the miracle whip statement.

aa3f9ffa77d7ea966595b5ad0cc04691d9c456699c7e578f77b6927b38272617_1.jpg

Brought to you by Pfizer

At least we all can agree on Miracle Whip tasting like sh!t, even as a kid I refused to put that stuff on a sandwich, I would eat it plain if I had to.

You old fukcs! Meanwhile the yoga pants thread has dust and tumbleweeds rolling across it...

Well young girls in yoga pants are spank bank material that are good for a few minutes. Pictures of good damn sammiches that can be attained with just some work are priceless!

---

You old fukcs! Meanwhile the yoga pants thread has dust and tumbleweeds rolling across it...

Hey, as per the title.....someone may be a yoga instructor. Complete topic derailment and just plain out of control.

Open chicken souvlaki tonight. Not a sandwich.

• I Donated
Exactly, having to eat a sandwich with a fork excludes it from the sandwich category. Also, putting Turkey, gravy and Mashed potatoes on top of a piece of bread does not make it a sandwich, it makes it a thanksgiving dinner on top of a piece of bread.

I take back everything bad I've ever said about you. You're okay. Even if you like bananas (gross!).

The problem is that if you cut a wrap in half, then it suddenly becomes a sandwich because it has two slices of bread? But before then it's a burrito? That's just madness.

Who the f*ck cuts wraps lengthwise and then puts them back together? :confused:

Sandwiches are two pieces of bread, between which fillings are placed after they are already in two pieces (the two pieces can be sliced in such a way that they are 95% separated, because IMO that's within the margin of error). You wanna take two tortillas and spread Nutella in between them and call it a sandwich? Fine, and BTW that shit is legit as a snack. But if you're going to throw a bunch of toppings on a piece of bread and then say it's a sandwich because you used a knife and there's now more than one piece, that's idiotic.

Perhaps we should refer to the Black's Law Dictionary, to see if 'bread' is in there. If we really cared, which we don't.

Speak for yourself. :mad: Post reported, scumbag. :mad:

I don't even understand how they call it salad dressing. If I ever saw someone putting that on their salad, I'd call the police. Spunk salad? No thanks.

[emoji38] LOUD

Who the f*ck cuts wraps lengthwise and then puts them back together? :confused:

Sandwiches are two pieces of bread, between which fillings are placed after they are already in two pieces (the two pieces can be sliced in such a way that they are 95% separated, because IMO that's within the margin of error). You wanna take two tortillas and spread Nutella in between them and call it a sandwich? Fine, and BTW that shit is legit as a snack. But if you're going to throw a bunch of toppings on a piece of bread and then say it's a sandwich because you used a knife and there's now more than one piece...

Whoa whoa whoa, who said anything about the direction of the cut?

My issue is that the definitions provided are way too vague. That’s really disappointing especially coming from a self-proclaimed “sandwich artist” (poser).

In short, figure it out.

996120363a3a4551daaaf252b245bfd6.gif

Brought to you by Pfizer

Literally an entire page of bitching and no pictures... this is the only thing worth quoting. :dm::lol:

BTW... I will whip your ass into Miracle Whip purgatory if you so much as post that again. Nasty ass shit is worse than B4 fellating the next Subaru Legacy. :rolleyes::hide:

Edited by LegGTLT
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com