LegacyGT.com

They Said Blown turbo...

Whats up, i need help and direction, lol. I have an '05 LGT, silver sedan. Second owner. 178,000 miles.. and recently i blew the turbo, again, and if i replace it, will be the 3rd time...

after three turbos, is the engine automatically toast?

A friend and I have since under took the process of removing the engine to double check the mechanic's assessment. we are stripped and ready for the engine lift.. turbo is completely roasted, mechanic said oil blockage? I still need to figure out if the engine I have is not worth rebuilding.. where would I see visible damage? Also knowing it might be better to just buy a rebuilt engine, i have seen options for EJ257, EJ257B, and what I think is my current engine the EJ255? or is it a EJ25?

I like the idea of more power, and restoring my car to the ultimate granny sleeper. I have seen some STI engines that seem compatible but I have not seen STI intake manifolds..

money aside, whats my best bang for the buck for wanting a 450hp vehicle.. complete engine to exhaust?

Thank you for any response in advance.

Did they check for blocked banjo filters on the oil feed line for the turbo?

I would still consider a rebuild if done right. As in replace all the parts such as oil pump, oil cooler and clean every passage that oil goes into (including AVCS gears).

Most of us just follow the click here link in my sig.

I put a ej257 short block in and had my heads rebuilt.

IMO you do not need 450hp. 300-330whp in these cars is great and makes for a great DD and can be reliable.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I would at least do the following: EJ257 short block, have a machine shop rebuild your heads, ARP headstuds, STI headgaskets, New 10mm oil pump, new Oil cooler, Killer b oil pickup and windage tray and IAG oil feed lines. And make sure to remove the OCV banjo filters!

After that you can go crazy and do TGV deletes, turbo inlets, bigger injectors, parallel fuel lines, EBCS, and of course a bigger turbo and intercooler.

I did all of those things and made 290whp and 330wtq on a mustang dyno. Ultimate 05 OBXT 5EAT sleeper!

Good luck. You're looking at spending 5-6k in parts.

• 4 weeks later...
Remove banjo bolts, remove banjo bolts, remove banjo bolts!

Make that remove the filter inside the two banjo bolts.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Don't listen to these naysayers.

450whp is awesome in these cars, albeit rather expensive to accomplish.

If you aren't comfortable dropping serious coin and/or time into a 15yr old car then do as these guys suggest. Typical (boring) stage 2 rebuild and have yourself a nice daily driver.

If you are serious about building a stupid fast sleeper look up IAG for a stage 2 tuff (or stronger) short block, have your heads rebuilt, pick your turbo and supporting mods, get your build on.

Then tell your children their college funds have been re-purposed.

Archived