LegacyGT.com

Stewdogg's 2010 GT

Just checking to see if there's a cheaper way to build the V54 to an 18g.

I will look into some 750-850cc injectors and run the stock fuel pump till it dies.

Here's a pic of the ole girl leaving the house, finally and a couple of the arrival at the spa for a little love. I don't have the space to do it at home and can't leave it at work (where I have a lift and all my tools) for more than a weekend, so to my step dad's it goes. He has a nice 4 post lift that will make things a little easier. That means it will take a little longer to get it done because he's an hour away, but I'm sending the turbo out and other things that will take time anyway, so whatever.

I'm just happy to be getting things rolling. Next weekend we'll pull the motor and I'll take the turbo with me.

IMG_6723.thumb.jpg.f9a5872f3bb72d44b2c93bd0709dba07.jpg

IMG_6725.thumb.jpg.3aa9093e753f27ba0130684c7f8bd6b9.jpg

IMG_6726.thumb.jpg.663f00b64a73330ca23aa07fa576776f.jpg

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is possible there is a local to you turbo shop that could accomplish the 18g upgrade, but it isn't something you can do with a die grinder and bench vise. Well not something I would recommend you do that way, especially not on something capable of spinning in excess of 100k rpms.

A couple quick questions.

Is the BNR 18g turbo build the only option for turbos for the 5th gen? Is there a DIY turbo upgrade option for the V54 to 18g?

What size are the stock fuel injectors (couldn't find it through the search)? If I go with the 18g do I need upgraded injectors/fuel pump to feed it?

Money, money, money...

It's probably worth an email or phone call to socal porting. I know they do cool stuff for the newer WRX turbos.

It's probably worth an email or phone call to socal porting. I know they do cool stuff for the newer WRX turbos.

FWIW, Socal indicated to me that they cannot help us out. "Unfortunately this is a RHF5 turbo and not like the RHF55 turbos we do these upgrades to. We really cant do anything to them other than a small drop in billet wheel and porting and polishing."

Pure Turbos is another option, and they were cheaper than BNR but (despite the warranty concerns) I simply trusted BNR more.

FWIW, Socal indicated to me that they cannot help us out. "Unfortunately this is a RHF5 turbo and not like the RHF55 turbos we do these upgrades to. We really cant do anything to them other than a small drop in billet wheel and porting and polishing."

Pure Turbos is another option, and they were cheaper than BNR but (despite the warranty concerns) I simply trusted BNR more.

I did get the same return email from Socal just a few minutes ago.

I will look into the Pure Turbo as well, but expect the same outcome.

Is there any options with swapping out the whole turbine side for a new 18g? I have my step dad trying to tell me I can do it cheaper, but I'm not so sure and not smart enough right now to refute it with facts.:)

Thanks for the help!

I did get the same return email from Socal just a few minutes ago.

I will look into the Pure Turbo as well, but expect the same outcome.

Is there any options with swapping out the whole turbine side for a new 18g? I have my step dad trying to tell me I can do it cheaper, but I'm not so sure and not smart enough right now to refute it with facts.:)

Thanks for the help!

You could PM Fahr-side, he would know for sure, my guess is the outlet is unique to our model as is the turbine housing inlet/outlet.

You could use the fact Socal declined to help you, if it was easy to modify they would have jumped at the chance to gouge you over an easy modification.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ok, I'm just saying, certain things I would not skimp on. That turbo is one. BNR is very reputable and proven - Otherwise just keep the stocker and tune the car to the best it can do with all the other support parts. Your ride is going to be down - send the turbo. God forbid somebody else does a half ass job and the blades get brought into your nice sexy block. IMHO.

You could PM Fahr-side, he would know for sure, my guess is the outlet is unique to our model as is the turbine housing inlet/outlet.

You could use the fact Socal declined to help you, if it was easy to modify they would have jumped at the chance to gouge you over an easy modification.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

That sounds good, he just keeps hounding me about it and that should stop it. I just need to show him the other options aren't as good and I'm sticking with my plan. He's an old school wrench and has a large opinion, so...:)

I'm a 40+ year old man, you wouldn't think I would have to deal with parental figures like this still, but here I am.:)

Ok, I'm just saying, certain things I would not skimp on. That turbo is one. BNR is very reputable and proven - Otherwise just keep the stocker and tune the car to the best it can do with all the other support parts. Your ride is going to be down - send the turbo. God forbid somebody else does a half ass job and the blades get brought into your nice sexy block. IMHO.

I totally agree, I kept telling him that if three was a turbine and housing for $200 (he said he saw for my car?), I didn't want to risk having a casting/turbine go bad and ruin my day once again just to save a couple hundy!

I also have an email out to IAG about a stage 2 small block because I don't see one offered on their site specifically for the 5th gen.

IAG doesn't build one specific to the 5th gen, if you want that they might be able to get it to you, but they would have to order the block halves from Subaru. I have contemplated that myself. I think I could order them and send them to Revworks, which is about an hour from me, to have a block built up. You might also consider them if you are going to be tight for time, they are a great shop with an awesome reputation and they will ship anywhere as well.

I just gave IAG a call and the builder is going to call me back and give me a quote.

I will feel around for a Subaru shop locally to see what they can do, I will check with Revworks as well, thanks.

I'm also going to look into getting the case halfs and build it myself.

Haha, I thought things were moving smoothly and now I feel a little behind in my progress.

You could order the short block if you are going to do it yourself. The idea behind having a shop do it, in my opinion, is they will align hone the block and bores and then perfectly match the rings and pistons to the block along with the rod and crank bearings. Revworks and IAG will probably take it as far as you are willing to pay for, adding pins to the case, and main bearings, using aftermarket rods with ARP bolts, forged internals...etc.

So, I picked up a 4th gen 2007 Legacy to get me by while I get this build done. It just got a new rebuild engine put in and has no rust. It also has the high output 2.5 with the upgraded cams. At least I don't have to stress about getting to work every day.

Question, from what I have read the only 26mm front sway bar upgrade is the Whiteline bar? Does the 2013 3.6R only fit the NA 2010 Legacy?

The 3.6R bar doesn't, but the OEM '13-'14 2.5i bar is 26mm, and that one does fit.

Thanks, the price is right on that as well! Nothing like a new stabilizer upgrade for ~$70! I was starting to give up on the idea of changing it out and putting that $300 towards more engine upgrades.

I'm currently waiting for a quote on a small block from a local Subaru builder, it should be here tomorrow and then I will make the decision of who I'm going to have build it. I gave up on IAG, it's been difficult to get a builder to to talk to over the last couple weeks and their build time is quite far out. I do want my car back as soon as I can. The 2007 NA Legacy is fine, but I want my BOOST back!

Currently looking at Quantium Performance and Topshelf Performance for my small block.

So, I picked up a 4th gen 2007 Legacy to get me by while I get this build done. It just got a new rebuild engine put in and has no rust. It also has the high output 2.5 with the upgraded cams. At least I don't have to stress about getting to work every day.

Question, from what I have read the only 26mm front sway bar upgrade is the Whiteline bar? Does the 2013 3.6R only fit the NA 2010 Legacy?

You want to use the 13'-14' FSB from the 2.5i for '10-'12 GT's.

I think the 4th Gen 2.5i are good value as a DD. Just make sure the head gasket aren't leaking oil or coolant. (I also think the 5th Gen Legacy 2.5i are also good value at this point just aware of the 2010 CVT issues if one buys an automatic.)

The 2007 NA Legacy is fine, but I want my BOOST back!

I can't wait for another month or so when I start driving my GT again. I don't mind drive my 2.5i Outback in the crappy winter weather though. (I also use it for long highway trips.)

Edited by dgoodhue

Thanks guys!

The engine was just refreshed, so no worries for me with any of the common high mileage engine stuff, I hope. And unlike with my GT, I know the person who did the work on this car.:)

I have some Moog links (from Humble) that I just recently installed, I'm sure those must work with the 13-14 2.5i FSB...?

Thanks guys!

The engine was just refreshed, so no worries for me with any of the common high mileage engine stuff, I hope. And unlike with my GT, I know the person who did the work on this car.:)

I have some Moog links (from Humble) that I just recently installed, I'm sure those must work with the 13-14 2.5i FSB...?

The OEM part number for the front endlinks did not change in 2013 when the FSB sized up, so the same endlinks will work for the 24mm FSB and the 26mm FSB. You'll be fine using the Moog's you got from me if you upgrade to the 26mm FSB.

How about that weather? I also was considering the Koni drop with /13-14 springs, as well as the face lift with the STI lip.. but I get tons of snow in the front grill from plowing through 6-10" of snow.. and then that melts into the bumper and forms just massive ice chunks.

I found a new 2010 Legacy GT owner in Chippewa Falls! Has the twilight blue metallic.

I am also dealign with the dreaded P0420. Dealer even added spacers to up/down stream sensors for me, rec'd 1-2 cans of seafoam, and Cata Clean. Sad part is I had the turbo and cat replaced at 70k with a used turbo/cat with like 35k. Sitting at 85k now and code has never gone away, just keep resetting the ECU agh..

Moral Hazard how does the romraider work? I miss my cruise control and traction control.

How about that weather? I also was considering the Koni drop with /13-14 springs, as well as the face lift with the STI lip.. but I get tons of snow in the front grill from plowing through 6-10" of snow.. and then that melts into the bumper and forms just massive ice chunks.

I found a new 2010 Legacy GT owner in Chippewa Falls! Has the twilight blue metallic.

I am also dealign with the dreaded P0420. Dealer even added spacers to up/down stream sensors for me, rec'd 1-2 cans of seafoam, and Cata Clean. Sad part is I had the turbo and cat replaced at 70k with a used turbo/cat with like 35k. Sitting at 85k now and code has never gone away, just keep resetting the ECU agh..

Moral Hazard how does the romraider work? I miss my cruise control and traction control.

Haha, the weather is finally just getting better down here. You guys are going to get hammered again this weekend, I think...? I'm surprised you found another 5th gen in Chippewa and I haven't' seen one here with the population difference. That's almost enough to have a Wisconsin 5th gen meet up.:)

Damn, 85k, that sounds awesome while I sit at 130,000.

I have the 1" drop with the Eibach's and didn't really get a chance to test it in much snow this year before the wrist pin gave out.

Luckily I just swapped out my O2 sensor and that P04020 went away.

I have upgraded both. Way I see is more air in, more air out. Meaning more fuel/air you can feed the engine the more you can get out of the turbo. As tiny as our stock one is I think I was one of the first a few years back to take the plunge. Along with acumenhokie and blizzard iirc.