LegacyGT.com

Exhaust upgrades (and possibly turbo?)

One thing to note if you are an Apple guy, and you want to log, and you decide to do open source. Windows based is really the only easy option with Romraider. And if you don't want to haul around a laptop; using BTssm is great, but you'll need an Android device. So something to think about when comparing total cost with say a used Accessport. If you get a good tuner you'll get a great tune with either :-)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Minor problems were discovered yesterday. During part fitment it was discovered that the incorrect downpipe had been ordered. The downpipe I have is for a manual car while mine is an automatic transmission. The hanger is in the incorrect place and the pipe would actually hit my transmission so modification is not possible. When I originally ordered the part I had called Rally Sport Direct to make sure I don't get any of these details incorrect.

I decided to call them back to see if they could help me correct the issue. As it turns out GrimmSpeed doesn't actually offer a downpipe for an automatic car and the detail about it being for a manual was in small print. Easy mistake to make but now I have to get a part from a different manufacturer entirely. As posted earlier in this thread I had been considering the Invidia downpipe but it was more expensive and the GrimmSpeed came highly recommended from multiple sources. Well now the Invidia downpipe is on sale for 33% off (get yours while they last!). Megan at Rally Sport Direct is my hero. The difference in price between the GrimmSpeed that I'm returning and the now reduced price of the Invidia is about what rushed overnight shipping costs. She worked it out with the shop that my car is at and the parts will cross in the mail at no cost to me.

So relieving to have people have your back when these issues arise. Really looking forward to getting my car back either today or tomorrow!

I got my car back! :D

There were some trials and tribulations along the way. BCP only has one tuner that does open source and he had a death in the family and was out for a week so there were some delays. That made last week rough with my wife having to play taxi for my son and I. I went on Monday to pick up my car and got to chat with the tuner, Alex. He seems very knowledgeable and was helpful and friendly. Outside of his opinions against open source tuning and being married to AP tuning he had a lot of great information to lend.

I purposefully waited to hear the numbers until I got there, I didn't want to spoil the surprise. Alex had told me he was really happy with the numbers and surprised at the improvement himself. Due to it being an automatic and not having their x500 turbo he didn't think it was going to pull the kind of numbers he got out of it. My compression test came back good with most all cylinders around 130 psi (?). One of the things I learned is that the horsepower numbers given for the stock Legacy are at the crank, not what you would get at the wheels from a dyno. Alex explained that a stock 06 Legacy GT would have probably just over 200hp to the wheels even though it is rated at around 260hp at the crank.

I'll post my dyno sheet later as well as a video of it on the dyno as soon as they send it. But with these upgrades Alex said I was likely getting 350hp at the crank which is an improvement of over 90hp! The exhaust looks great on the car and sounds awesome. I had been a little worried about highway drone but it isn't bad at all. It is a little louder than stock on the highway but the sound is pleasing, not annoying. Under power at low RPMs it makes a pleasing gurgle/rumble and when I step on it the exhaust notes are deep throaty and intimidating. The dyno video will show this well.

I did have a slight problem after leaving the shop just after getting on the highway. My check engine light came on. I immediately pulled over and called the shop. Alex had me drive the car back thinking it was likely something minor. It was. It turned out to be that due to the new up pipe not having the air heat sensor on it he had neglected to remove that from the tune. He did so, reflashed the ECM and cleared the error and the car ran fine. He did take this time to remind me that this could have been easily solved with the AP if I had one but I took the time to remind him that I'd rather not be involved and would have preferred returning to his shop to resolve the issue even with the AP.

I didn't get a chance to open up on the highway home as my wife was following me home and she gets nervous on the expressway. But I have had some opportunity since. WOW! It is like an entirely new car! The change in power is surprising from just these few upgrades. I didn't think it would be that much. I figured it would mostly be an audible change with nice looking exhaust, efficiency and a bump in power being nice extras. Oh how wrong I was. I'm getting a lot of head turns even with regular acceleration at lights. In the end I am VERY pleased with this upgrade!

Glad they pulled through for you. Just as an FYI, if you install a 2.2KOhm 0.5W resistor in the EGT sensor's connector socket, there's no need to tune out the code. That way if you have to drop to a stock tune to go through emissions testing, you won't get a CEL. The shop should have done that as a matter of standard procedure.

Glad they pulled through for you. Just as an FYI, if you install a 2.2KOhm 0.5W resistor in the EGT sensor's connector socket, there's no need to tune out the code. That way if you have to drop to a stock tune to go through emissions testing, you won't get a CEL. The shop should have done that as a matter of standard procedure.

What he said. I paid more in shipping than I did for 50 of these resistors...

Sensors right out in open. Easy as it gets.

Car is back in the shop.

First of all over the weekend I replaced the blower motor fan for my car as it was making a whirring sound when I had the air on. I had already had the dealership check out the cabin filter and it wasn't that and they also suggested the blower motor. Got it all done with my son's help ... the sound is still there. Maybe a resister? ... still spent $100 to figure out it wasn't the blower motor.

On the way home from near Ann Arbor it started crapping out on me. It made a weird sound like that of a bat swinging over your head. My wife and I looked around when we heard it as it literally sounded like something just swung and near-missed our car. We didn't see anything and the car drove normal. Then it started making a whir-POP! sound. After it did that a couple of times and the last time I felt the car lurch slightly like it would if it backfired I was no longer confident driving it. I called BCP and told them we were getting the car in. I had to have it flat bedded out there. We were stranded and had to call a friend to come pick us up (an hour drive away).

While waiting my wife had to open the glove compartment and ... it broke. I think when the dealership checked my cabin filter they broke it. When the wrecker got there they asked me to back my car up a few feet. I didn't even want to start it, but I did. I backed up right into a picnic table and busted out my tail light.

Then when I was definitely in a bad mood the wrecker guy walks up and says, "Sir, when I asked you to back up I didn't ask you to back into that." >:( I responded, "Yeah, thats hilarious. Thanks for that." He looked at my wife and she said, "... can we not? Just get the car on the wrecker, please."

*sigh*

I don't know what the issue is. I'm afraid that it could be the turbo. The code it was throwing came back as an air intake issue but that is vague and could mean a lot of different things. I should hear back from the shop today. Yesterday was a very bad day. I am hoping for some news that is less than terrible.

When the car was at the shop yesterday and we were waiting for a ride we were told that they would get to the car today and give us a call to discuss the issue. That didn't happen. I called and talked to their office guy and he basically told me that they have other cars that had scheduled appointments that have priority over my car. They didn't know if they would get to it today and could give me no estimate of when they would. I called back and tried to speak with the owner and he is busy doing dyno tuning and they would try to have him get back with me today.

... but he might be too busy.

I don't know what to do.

I explained that I was upset that my car which I have had for less than a week after it being at their shop is broke and am being told that I have to go to the back of the line. This isn't what we were told yesterday. And they actually doubled down saying, "That is what happens when you get out of line. You go to the back of it. Right?"

No! Not right. I wouldn't think that is how it works at all. I have a car that isn't working after driving for less than a week after it was at their shop. I would think I get priority. If I ran a shop I would want to make certain that it wasn't caused by anything done at the shop. At least get the diagnosis done. If it proves that it was a problem with the parts put in then so be it. Then priority can be lessened as a "not the shop's fault" situation. But we aren't at that point yet.

Damnit, I'm so angry!

Is it unreasonable to expect a car gets worked on when you are told when it will be worked on though?

The first time I had it in I scheduled it 3 weeks in advance and they ended up having the car for a week before they even touched it and it was there for over a week and a half total. WTF is the point in scheduling at all at that point?

Is it unreasonable to expect a car gets worked on when you are told when it will be worked on though?

It is not unreasonable to expect that your vehicle gets worked on when quoted. But, the biggest inconsistencies in life revolve around anything that involves human input.

When I bought an Audi S6, it was getting a new transmission, 80% new paint, and tons of other small goodies. Suppose to take 1 month. TOOK THREE MONTHS!

The vehicle was over 5 hours away from me when I went to drop it off and get it.

I feel your frustration. :spin::spin::spin:

When you get the car back you will be more skeptical of schedules and hold contingencies on people. Tell them you need car by date X or you chop their money by Y. If they're on top of their work they will get it done within a timely fashion.

The problem acting now in your situation is...

What to gain from arguing with them?

They do a half ass job.

What to lose from arguing?

Half of an ass job.

Yeah... you got that right. Not much to gain, I guess.

It was suggested that I take my complaints to social media as that seems to be the common way of dealing with issues these days. I'm not typically that kind of petty person. But yesterday the shop called me back and said that they would have the car in first thing in the morning and have an answer and call me no later than 10:30. Here it is 11:00 and still no call. Even complaining on social media isn't guaranteed to yield positive results for me. And I'm not even out to get anyone, I just want quality work done in reasonable time frame or at least for them to hold to their word.

Just heard back from the shop. The engine is blown. The turbo failed and sent shards flying into the engine.

I got to enjoy my car for less than week. This is the exact issue I was trying to avoid by upgrading to the VF52 turbo. I'm so heartbroken. I don't know what to do...

The shop wont even replace the engine as they only do performance builds. Per the shop the engine isn't worth rebuilding, it needs to be completely replaced.

Ouch! Sorry to hear, that's a hard finance to endure and accept.

Heuberger has new Ej257 short blocks for around 1700... gasket kit is 200 i believe. Then add in other replacement parts and see if you can have the heads rebuilt anywhere local... otherwise a junkyard motor may leave you in the exact same spot.

Not sure if you can get a secondary opinion in the consensus also. They have any pictures or oil samples?

Wasted Potential: EJ255 you mean? I talked to Kris. That is exactly what he is talking about doing. Probably having my car towed to him.

Nah he meant 257. The blocks are basically identical. Getting a 257 block and having your heads re-done is basically what everyone does here when they join the #YNANSB club.

Archived