LegacyGT.com

Exhaust upgrades (and possibly turbo?)

I would not install the Downpipe or VF52 without getting the car tuned!!!!

Definitely definitely do not run the vehicle with the new turbo/downpipe without changing the tune.

1. Install parts
  2. Change map (tune)
  3. Start vehicle

The AP is really nice to have because you can quickly and easily reset your ECU, check trouble codes, record data logs that you can look at yourself in Excel (rpm, boost, etc.). We had a few Michigan days recently where it went from 20°F/dry to 50°F/humid to the next day and my car ran like crap (until I reset the ECU).

grovlet: I do plan on getting a tune not long after the install. I don't think I'll be going to Mike though as he is too far away and I don't want to do it myself. I have a guy in Detroit that is experienced and did a mutual friend's tune so I will probably be going to him. It wont require me to buy my own access port that way either.

1. I actually had my fuel pump replaced when I bought the car. Had a leak at my tank and they had to do some work there so they just did it then. It was all warranty work. If I feel like I need the extra fuel then I will keep this in mind.

2. My current TMIC is in good shape and as I'm not tracking my car I don't see the need of having more ample cooling needs in my near future. However, if it breaks then I will definitely upgrade.

3. I'll probably get to the fuel injectors the next time I do plugs and wires.

4. Banjos are getting done when I have my exhaust work done. They might already be removed.

Thanks for the heads up on the upgrades though. :)

The GrimmSpeed TMIC is absolutely the favorite but there are others that perform more than adequately for a fraction of the cost (I got the GS though lol). I can't remember if I asked you - have you had a compression test done? That's always a good idea before you start pushing the engine closer to its physical limits. That's a good time to have the plugs done too and it provides some peace of mind and technical mumbo jumbo to spout out with other Subaru dorks.

Are you planning to go see Angel at Horsepower Techs? I've heard he really knows his stuff and I've met 3-4 people who have had their LGT's tuned by him. They all seem really happy but one common theme was: They had too much power (with two of the people I've spoken with). One on a stock block was around 365whp and this other dude had a 20g and Angel tuned his up into the high 300's and over 400 lb ft of torque. So now they have to worry that their pistons or rings will crack. Thats YOLO power man lol and those cars are on borrowed time. Just something to have on your radar, that's all.

I'm very excited for you!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The car is definitely getting driven with the new exhaust and turbo before I get a tune. It probably wont be for long. At most a couple of weeks until I can drive it down to Detroit for my tune.

I have had these two tuners recommended to me by a mutual friend:

Oakos auto in Detroit.

Boost Controlled Performance in Livonia

I don't know of Angel at Horsepower Techs. Link?

I did take a look at the GrimmSpeed TMIC and it does look pretty nice. Expensive but looks like I could install it myself with no real problems.

I have not had a compression test done but I'm also not really wanting to push the engine close to it's limits. Maybe I will have it done when I have my plugs and wires switched out the next time along with injectors.

Well, they have wires that go to the plugs but I get your meaning. Do they have a different name?

It's typically called coil-on-plug or similar. Each plug has it's own coil, so you don't have the traditional plug wires as it's no longer a common coil mounted away from the plugs.

And I don't think anyone here has replaced the wires going to the coil. Some have replaced coils. FWIW, I'm still on the coils that came in the car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Looks like Oakos is out as a tuner. They apparently don't do it anymore.

Looking into Boost Controlled Performance now. If they are also out then I might be looking for nearby suggestions.

Corbin Johnson runs the dynos at Fathouse Fab in Indianapolis, and Turn in Concepts in Cincinnati. He's a highly regarded calibrator, with a couple Pikes Peak TT cars under his belt. I'll be scheduling with him later this year.

Johnsontuning.com

The car is definitely getting driven with the new exhaust and turbo before I get a tune. It probably wont be for long. At most a couple of weeks until I can drive it down to Detroit for my tune.

Don't do this unless it is an absolute last resort! Install everything right before the tune. Ideally your tuner can send you a base map that is safe to drive to the shop on. If not they might just tell you to drive it like a grandma to the shop.

Corbin Johnson runs the dynos at Fathouse Fab in Indianapolis, and Turn in Concepts in Cincinnati. He's a highly regarded calibrator, with a couple Pikes Peak TT cars under his belt. I'll be scheduling with him later this year.

Johnsontuning.com

Corbin has done all of my tuning.

Once at FatFab and twice now at TiC.

Definitely knows his way around a Subaru. Never had am E-tune from him but I'm sure it would be equally good.

Don't do this unless it is an absolute last resort! Install everything right before the tune. Ideally your tuner can send you a base map that is safe to drive to the shop on. If not they might just tell you to drive it like a grandma to the shop.

This would take having a lap top and the cable or a Cobb AP. If you have that you really don't need the dyno. The dyno is nice to give the Tuner info he can use. I'm sure lots of cars get upgrades without the dyno.

Read the other sticky's at the top of this forum,

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/using-ebay-vag-com-cable-datalog-96737.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Rent a car for the couple of weeks.. don’t risk it.

I will also add it is very hard to keep the turbo out of boost for the amount of time you'll be driving it.

When I installed mine, I had to drive about 45 miles most of it highway to the dyno to meet Mike of TA. I drove there on a Thursday morning after the morning rush hour traffic. I would not have liked driving it for two weeks before the tune.

But I also had the car on Cobb AP with a street tune from Mike for the year before that time when the car was on the vf40 and catless up/dp.

I was still nervous driving it that far.

Damnit, now you guys got me all nervous about having the install done here. Now I'm going to check to see if Boost Controlled Performance will just do the install so I can have them do the compression test and tune right there. They said they don't do tunes without doing the compression test first so I guess I'll just have it done. Just hoping I don't get bad news. I suppose bad news now is better than a blown engine later.

What kinda cost do you think I would be looking at if I have some compression loss? That would mean head gasket replacement, right?

Damnit, now you guys got me all nervous about having the install done here. Now I'm going to check to see if Boost Controlled Performance will just do the install so I can have them do the compression test and tune right there. They said they don't do tunes without doing the compression test first so I guess I'll just have it done. Just hoping I don't get bad news. I suppose bad news now is better than a blown engine later.

What kinda cost do you think I would be looking at if I have some compression loss? That would mean head gasket replacement, right?

I'll echo what people say. Do not install a turbo or downpipe without having a tune to put on the car before starting it. Don't drive it.

As far as compression loss, it depends how bad it is. You're looking for consistency between cylinders. Brand new is 160psi or so, and mine last time I checked was 125-130, which is fine because they're all within 5% of each other. If you have 130-130-130-90 across your cylinders, you're looking at either a bad head gasket or bent valve at best or a rebuild with new pistons or just buying a new or used engine at worst.

There's really no need for drama. Just contact a good Subie tuner such as Cryotune or Alliance, sign up for an e-tune, tell them your mods, and they'll send you a base map to flash when you install the hardware. You'll log, they'll update, you'll pull and log, they'll update, repeat as necessary, you have a first-rate tune. No travelling required, and the price is great.

If you can smoke test and get some decent fuel trims before installing the mods, that will help prevent headaches down the road.

Correct your stock turbo and the vf52 will connect to that same GS DP.

I would think any smaller shop would do the UP. The 08-09 Legacy GT didn't have a cat in that pipe so I don't see the issue.

You will want to address that asap as that cat has been known to send pieces of itself into your turbo and destroy pretty much everything. Which is why Subaru deleted it in the later models.

Shops here and emissions check refuse to touch my 05 because of the STi up. They kept saying for this model year it has to be there. Just getting the mufflers on not near any cats was a hassle.

Yeah totally don't drive on no tune or be like the rest of us with a dead car and no budget for the dead car rebuild.

Even the Subaru dealer when I Hicksta'd my ECU on APv1 said don't drive for long w/o a tune. Even the dealer said get tuned asap.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/LGT/th_5BFF5B04-A8AF-49D8-B528-3C1492740A7F_zpsdeblv4pg.jpg

There's really no need for drama. Just contact a good Subie tuner such as Cryotune or Alliance, sign up for an e-tune, tell them your mods, and they'll send you a base map to flash when you install the hardware. You'll log, they'll update, you'll pull and log, they'll update, repeat as necessary, you have a first-rate tune. No travelling required, and the price is great.

If you can smoke test and get some decent fuel trims before installing the mods, that will help prevent headaches down the road.

This ^

I talked with Boost Controlled Performance and they said they are more than willing to do all of the work including the uppipe. The compression test and turbo leak are required before installing anything. They talked me into getting an electronic boost control as that will make it easier to do the tune now and in the future and will also help prevent turbo creep. Compared to what I have already spent this is a small investment for some great advantages. After doing the install they will be able to do the tune no problem before I ever drive the car. This looks like my current best course of action.

As long as everything goes well with them then my next upgrades are likely going to be bigger injectors, the GrimmSpeed TMIC and a bigger fuel pump. That will probably be about it for me for performance upgrades and they are likely going to wait until after I get some body work done while I can before it gets worse and unworkable.

Archived