LegacyGT.com

Exhaust upgrades (and possibly turbo?)

henhead: See... that is what I thought but when I talked to Kris he said the car came with a 255 and switching to a 257 likely means a new wiring harness and changes that would make the swap more difficult. I guess I'll bring it up with him again. "YNANSB"?

Holla: I don't know. I mean I was just driving down the highway with my wife. It was very mild driving. I wasn't pushing the car hard at all. It just... failed. I'm not sure if I will ever know more.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
henhead: See... that is what I thought but when I talked to Kris he said the car came with a 255 and switching to a 257 likely means a new wiring harness and changes that would make the swap more difficult.

It's essential to understand that the shortblock and the heads are separate components of the engine.

The EJ257 shortblock is functionally identical with the same compression as the EJ255 but stronger internals. Switching to different heads would involve lots of complications like Kris talked about; you don't want to do that. Buying new heads is prohibitively expensive, so get them professionally rebuilt so they're good as new. Should cost like $400-500 per head.

The VF52 was brand new, right? Where did you get it?

Looking back over this thread, it looks like I may have jinxed you. Sorry about that.

relative4: I see. I'll run this by Kris. It sounds like EJ257 is preferable as a short block in every way so long as I use my current (rebuilt) heads? This shouldn't change any of the wiring harness or be more difficult to install?

The VF52 was used. I got it from gkinslow from this forum. While I do not blame him I do now regret using a used turbo. It seemed like a good idea at the time as it had less than 30k miles on it at the time (less than the VF43 I had in the car that I wanted to get rid of to ironically avoid oil starvation and shaft play issues) and came at a good price. Assuming BCP's diagnosis is correct though, that was the point of failure and now I'm far worse off than I started.

I guess I have to look at the bright side: when I replace the engine I'll end up with a 100k warranty on basically a brand new engine. I'll pretty much have a new car at that point. Plus I'll get a few extra performance parts on the replacement like bigger injectors.

In fact, I'm thinking of starting a thread to ask you all what I should get to have Kris install in the new engine. I don't want to go crazy but anything that is a performance increase that retains efficiency and dependability are options that I want to know about.

relative4: I see. I'll run this by Kris. It sounds like EJ257 is preferable as a short block in every way so long as I use my current (rebuilt) heads? This shouldn't change any of the wiring harness or be more difficult to install?

Correct.

Plus I'll get a few extra performance parts on the replacement like bigger injectors.

Bigger injectors require new tune, as will various other performance parts. However, a new tune will be highly advisable anyway, since the tune you just paid for was for a different engine.

what I should get to have Kris install in the new engine. I don't want to go crazy but anything that is a performance increase that retains efficiency and dependability are options that I want to know about.

Any remaining banjo filters should be removed. I believe the EJ257 will come with an updated oil pickup.

Yeah, I'm concerned about the current tune anyway. If they did "overtune" my car or missed something that could have caused the turbo to fail I don't want that to happen with the new engine. I did already talk to Kris about this and he does not do tuning himself but also recommended a new tune. Even with all of the parts being the same it is still a different engine. I'm not sure where I will go for the tune. Kris recommended a guy in Indiana and I could pursue that. I don't know if I want to return to BCP. I don't know that they caused any issue, in fact it is likely they didn't. But honestly, their customer service sucked ass, they couldn't be expected to deliver on their word and I am honestly just kinda sick of dealing with them.

Regarding the oil pickup I was thinking about that. I am concerned about oil starvation on the turbo and always have been. Perhaps I wasn't concerned enough before. I plan on discussing options with Kris.

Any other suggestions for no brainer upgrades while we are in there? I thought about forged internals but the cost doesn't seem right for end goals that do not include tracking or racing the car.

Sorry to hear what your going through.

Do we know how bad your heads are, did metal get in the oil system ?

Just to clear things up, a ej257 short block will bolt into your car and your ej255 heads will bolt to it, you want to use ARP head studs and the engine gasket set for your year car.

Remove both banjo filters

get a new oil cooler, pump and pick up tube

Get a Cobb AP unless your great with a laptop and software

Find a great machine shop, ask around to see which machine shop knows Subaru's

Have you read though my click here link in my sig.

My ej257 is getting ready for its timing belt to be replaced, with the great tune from Tuning Alliance the car is a blast to drive.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 4 weeks later...

I have what is maybe a dumb question to ask but here goes anyway...

Why do you automatically assume the engine is toast in a Subaru when the turbo blows? I'm sure some minor particles make its way down the drain and into the pan but the pickup and the oil filter should save the engine? I've worked for a major turbo rebuilder and we never hear of turbos taking the engines out when they blow. As a matter of fact I bought my 08 LGT with a majorly blown turbo (shaft was snapped in 2!) I drove the car home, put on a new turbo, changed the oil and its still good 30k miles later.

There just isn't much in a turbo to do damage to an engine. There is a shaft and two bronze bushings, neither of which will be ground up into an abrasive powder that will fill your engine and cause catastrophic damage. If the compressor or turbine wheels fail, the resulting pieces go down the exhaust or in the intercooler. Neither to likely ever cause engine damage.

What am I missing here?

I have what is maybe a dumb question to ask but here goes anyway...

Why do you automatically assume the engine is toast in a Subaru when the turbo blows? I'm sure some minor particles make its way down the drain and into the pan but the pickup and the oil filter should save the engine? I've worked for a major turbo rebuilder and we never hear of turbos taking the engines out when they blow. As a matter of fact I bought my 08 LGT with a majorly blown turbo (shaft was snapped in 2!) I drove the car home, put on a new turbo, changed the oil and its still good 30k miles later.

There just isn't much in a turbo to do damage to an engine. There is a shaft and two bronze bushings, neither of which will be ground up into an abrasive powder that will fill your engine and cause catastrophic damage. If the compressor or turbine wheels fail, the resulting pieces go down the exhaust or in the intercooler. Neither to likely ever cause engine damage.

What am I missing here?

What your missing here, having only 14 post, I'll assume your new to the forum.

I'll say its been a few weeks, but over my 14 years here, the past 8 or so years there seems to be at least one thread a week, that starts out, "I just bought the car and the guy told me it has a new turbo, driving the car home the engine blew".

Lots of time when the shaft breaks seems the compressor wheel goes out of balance and scrape's metal off the compressor housing, sending it into the tmic, throttle body, etc. Seems the oil cooler likes to hold metal particles that got into oil system from the turbo center section oil drain.

Some have gotten lucky, most don't.

There are sticky's at the top of the forums, one has a good one about turbo failures.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/turbo-failure-wiki-173358.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Yea I've lurked for awhile, just don't post much. I'm new to the Subarus but have been turning wrenches most all my life. I've read the stickys and a lot on here, I see what you're saying I'm just trying to make sense of it.

Like I said, I was and OPs manager for a very large turbo rebuilder and almost never heard of any engine failures as a result of turbocharger failure. It just seems odd to me that the Subarus are so susceptible to it.

I am looking at putting an invidian q300 with catless dp and catless up on my 2005 legacy gt and wanna know if i will have any problems with this exhaust set up I am after a deep sound with subie rumble not raspyy i am new here and new to subies so if you have any reccomendation please help me out

I am looking at putting an invidian q300 with catless dp and catless up on my 2005 legacy gt and wanna know if i will have any problems with this exhaust set up I am after a deep sound with subie rumble not raspyy i am new here and new to subies so if you have any reccomendation please help me out

The catless downpipe will cause problems with boost creep, smell, and karma. Get a catted downpipe and a Cobb AccessPort, run stage 2, and you should be good to go.

Be advised the Q300 is LOUD.

Also the Q300 with a catless DP will be to loud. It's fine on my 09 Spec B, catted, it was way to loud on my 05 Wagon, catless.

what size mufflers does the q300 have? My nameless has five inch diameter probably 6 or 8 inches in total length; a bit of drone and loud, but not unbearable at all.

DSCN7686.thumb.JPG.fc9620c7cce15bdeef06b66e2aed3bd8.JPG

Deep tone.

With the catted DP on the 09 Spec B the exhaust is always there but zero drone. You can talk to someone in the car without yelling.

Max is correct. Don't do a catless DP. Get a catless UP, catted DP and Q300. It is a very pleasing sound. I had the same concerns about the exhaust being too loud. It isn't. It is a pleasing gurgley rumble. When you step on the accelerator it really opens up into a rich deep tone. At cruising speed it is a bit louder than stock but not annoying and easy to talk over. My Q300 has been my most pleasing upgrade thus far.

Okay im just about to order it in a couple days getting cobb catted dp invidia upipe n the q300 n if my money right might just order the vf52 n cold air intake ofc i will be gettin a tune straight after

Don't waste your money on the cold air intake. Stock is good till over 350whp.

I concur with Max and relative4 on both points. Just try to get an catless UP off an 08 or newer Legacy. You will spend less money and get a superior product. Invidia has a catted DP. I actually got mine on sale. Make sure you get one that matches your transmission. Sounds odd but they are actually shaped different. I learned this the hard way.

Archived