LegacyGT.com

What did you buy for your 5th gen today? - V3

I knew from day 1 my factory shifter wasn't that great and that is why I replace within the 1st year with Legacy STS. When I replaced it, I realized how really crappy it was. (The stock transmission fluid sucks too)

I now have a '12 GT with Legacy STS, STI knob, short shift adapter, shift stops and bushing. My '11 GT has the original shifter and crappy fluid. The '11 shifter is such an stark contrast and a sloppy mess. If I keep this car for any period of time, I going to do something about the shifter because I am spoiled by my '12GT.

Did you replace the entire housing or just the shifter itself?

I can find a short shifter on eBay for $100 shipped which isn't bad, but the OEM full setup in a different animal price wise.

I'll check what I can get it for on Facebook marketplace too.

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

Did you replace the entire housing or just the shifter itself?

I can find a short shifter on eBay for $100 shipped which isn't bad, but the OEM full setup in a different animal price wise.

I'll check what I can get it for on Facebook marketplace too.

Entire shifter housing.

Enablers.... couldn't turn down a $90 upgrade. Facebook marketplace wins again.[emoji37] It's off a 2019 WRX, guy had the dealer upgrade to the STI shifter from the lot. It's brand new [emoji38] b6a82f4a673ed5139092b7c2d9e1e31f.jpg

Edited by kingsebastian

Enablers.... couldn't turn down a $90 upgrade. Facebook marketplace wins again.[emoji37] It's off a 2019 WRX, guy had the dealer upgrade to the STI shifter from the lot. It's brand new [emoji38] b6a82f4a673ed5139092b7c2d9e1e31f.jpg

Now with all that money you saved buy the boomba stick and ssa kit.that will go right into the wrx shifter and work great.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Now with all that money you saved buy the boomba stick and ssa kit.that will go right into the wrx shifter and work great.

I have a VMS ssa (Perrin knockoff) and it broke during install. Right now it's being held together by JB weld, still going strong since mid March. That along with the shift stop has me sitting pretty nice for the time being.

The boomba stick is tempting but I'm saving for the konis right now. It will have to wait....enabler [emoji37]

How do you like the CD slot phone mount? I was considering one, but was unsure if it would cover up the screen too much.
I often turn my phone sideways as it blocks my navigation....I would try another option next time.

Edited by kingsebastian

How do you like the CD slot phone mount? I was considering one, but was unsure if it would cover up the screen too much.

Before my mother gave me her Legacy, she had used a CD slot phone mount and it kind of ripped the foam where you insert the CD...

Ordered a new set of heads for the impending refresh this summer. I'm planning to get some upgraded cams and springs and have it all ready. Still thinking about a full engine build, I just cant justify it to myself.

Ordered a new set of heads for the impending refresh this summer. I'm planning to get some upgraded cams and springs and have it all ready. Still thinking about a full engine build, I just cant justify it to myself.

So, it sounds like you need a little enabling and help justifying a full engine build...?

I can say that I had no plans to do a full build, but I'm really enjoying the car so much more since I did. I know it not the fastest car, but it's certainly fun having a sleeper that really seems to sneak up on people. It still drives like a normal LGT unless you run the RPM's up and hammer the gas.:) It has caught most people off guard that have ridden in it as well.

I have my first E85 tune in hand and I'm just waiting for my gas tank to get low enough for the E85 fill up, which should be tomorrow. I'm very curious to see how the corn is different than ethanol free 91.

How far down the rabbit hole will your build go?

So, it sounds like you need a little enabling and help justifying a full engine build...?

I can say that I had no plans to do a full build, but I'm really enjoying the car so much more since I did. I know it not the fastest car, but it's certainly fun having a sleeper that really seems to sneak up on people. It still drives like a normal LGT unless you run the RPM's up and hammer the gas.:) It has caught most people off guard that have ridden in it as well.

I have my first E85 tune in hand and I'm just waiting for my gas tank to get low enough for the E85 fill up, which should be tomorrow. I'm very curious to see how the corn is different than ethanol free 91.

How far down the rabbit hole will your build go?

Not far, no e85 near me so 93 only. I may upgrade the turbo and manifold in the future, but this is really just to not chance valve issues when I pull the heads to do gaskets and ARP studs. And also have the sti cams ready to drop in with upgraded springs. After that and a new tune, I'm sure I'll be done for a few more years. Oh I've also got a clutch coming, southbend stage 2.

After moving around my '11 GT and feeling how sloppy the OEM shifter is, I was starting feel enabled to upgrade it. I set up an ebay search for used WRX and Legacy STS shifters. I found out that Subaru discontinued the 2010-2014 Legacy STS accessory. I had to look at my receipts to find the part number C1010AJ100

After moving around my '11 GT and feeling how sloppy the OEM shifter is, I was starting feel enabled to upgrade it. I set up an ebay search for used WRX and Legacy STS shifters. I found out that Subaru discontinued the 2010-2014 Legacy STS accessory. I had to look at my receipts to find the part number C1010AJ100
Try these...

C1010VA000

or

C1010VA001

Both show up as short throw for 2019-2020 WRX...the 2nd one is STI short throw, not sure what makes them different.

All I know is the 1st one is what I installed a few days ago and it feels amazing.

Edited by kingsebastian

Try these...

C1010VA000

or

C1010VA001

Both show up as short throw for 2019-2020 WRX...the 2nd one is STI short throw, not sure what makes them different.

All I know is the 1st one is what I installed a few days ago and it feels amazing.

I have the C1010VA000 WRX STS as well. It looks like the 001 is the updated version.

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru__/STI-Short-Throw-Shifter-WRX/49924827/C1010VA000.html

Ayye two more payments for me!

congrats, it's a very nice feeling!

i need new control arms up front, so i decided to order a pair of mevotechs. also decided to order a set of the rear control arms falcor got, and a pair of donor struts(seriously...$9 for a set of struts. insane.) in case i change my mind from going KYBs on 13-14 springs to konis and lowering springs. decisions decisions, but knowing i'll have this extra money coming in shortly is not helping.

Grabbed something for my quad tip project...gonna merge a wrx lower half and paint match it....

So far I've been able to get part dirt cheap. Looking for a cheap body guy now. Basic plastic welding and some body filler is all I'll need....

Updates to come.13fbdf0b4e2dc06124ada8ab0731abcc.jpg

Grabbed something for my quad tip project...gonna merge a wrx lower half and paint match it....

So far I've been able to get part dirt cheap. Looking for a cheap body guy now. Basic plastic welding and some body filler is all I'll need....

Updates to come.13fbdf0b4e2dc06124ada8ab0731abcc.jpg

Why not just try to get that lower black insert to fit, or are the bumpers too different?

Why not just try to get that lower black insert to fit, or are the bumpers too different?

Surprisingly....that's all 1 plastic piece. It looks like an easy removal, but it's 1 mold just painted different.

I have a cousin that does body work so I plan on asking him what's easier.