LegacyGT.com

Drivers door won't open

At 4:07AM I learned the door didn't want to open. The other doors did, so I climbed in the passenger side, crawled over the consul so I could start it and move it out of the way so I could drive the Spec B to work.

Seems the outside and inside handles do nothing.

Took me a while (about 5 hours) to figure out I should have tried the key in the door lock, but I'll have to wait until I get home to try that.

Did wash the car yesterday but we locked and unlocked the doors a few times after that as we were shopping made at least 3 stops, Sears, Home Depot, BJ's, got gas to.

The drivers door handle was replaced Aug 25 2011 because it broke on the inside.

More to come...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine is on the rear passenger side, since I’m just the one using the Subie I didn’t bother to fix it before summer. But I think this are common problem of the Legacy, I saw one guy selling a GT with 2 Driver side door that won’t open. OMG fix it first before you sell it.

Max I’m imagining how big you are going thru that passenger side jumping the shifters ✌️✌️✌️

This just happened to me Saturday night with my beater Legacy. Car had been outside in single-digit temps all day. I got in towards the end of the day and the door wouldn't stay shut so I toggle the interior lock switch. Door closed but then I couldn't open it at all - had to get out the passenger side. Parked it inside a heated parking-garage overnight and it worked again. Next morning I go to Advance Auto Parts for some kind of lock/latch lubrication and the guy said I must have been the 20th person that weekend with the same problem. My guess is the extremely wet rain we had days prior brought the humidity up. Couple that with the sudden drop in temps and I'm guessing it caused some seizing on door components. After spraying some "lock-lube" into the key-hole I haven't had the issue at all today with temps in the teens.

Let's hope its that ^ simple.

I can remember back in the old day's having to keep a little spray bottle of that around.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Good news, bad news.

The door worked fine after I sprayed it with lock deicer and drove it 20 minutes to the body shop with the heat on high. Here at the house I still had to climb in from the passenger side. When I got to the shop, the drivers door opened.

Bad news, Driving home about 2 miles from the house the road merge's to one lane. the guy on my right failed to slow/yield as his lane ended. His old ambulance wiped out the passenger door's and right rear fender, blew the right front tire.

Cop gave him a ticket for failure to yield the right of way.

AAA flat bed will take it back to the buddies body shop.

Sometimes you can't win.

My agent used to be a member here so we'll see what happens. The car has lot's of new parts runs great. I hate the thought of it getting totaled and having to buy it back to take it apart. It would be drive able if the right front tire had been cut.

Been one those weekends.

Found this on the 2018 Outback on Saturday, it wasn't there Friday morning.

DSCN7757.thumb.JPG.6e5ff718d2733e0031a263783c447296.JPG

DSCN7760.thumb.JPG.821f8f05e8cb163bbe1b5106a61ec92a.JPG

DSCN7758.thumb.JPG.e2ec238ce1edc5a2df0e1dac48e094fb.JPG

I'll take pictures of the wagon after work today :(

Well this is what I don’t like, while you keep maintaining your car at the highest level of its genuine parts and upgrades, while someone will just crash on it, and spending around $10,000 on it to keep it in prestine Condition, while the insurance will say $1,000 for your car because it was totalled, who need to pay for this insurance anyway?!! :spin:

At 4:07AM I learned the door didn't want to open. The other doors did, so I climbed in the passenger side, crawled over the consul so I could start it and move it out of the way so I could drive the Spec B to work.

Interesting car you have!

Consul (abbrev. cos.; Latin plural consules) was the title of one of the chief magistrates of the Roman Republic, and subsequently a somewhat significant title under the Roman Empire.
453747.png

Interesting car you have!

Damn spell check...I'll blame that. ;)

Just called his ins company and started the process.

the insurance will say $1,000 for your car because it was totalled, who need to pay for this insurance anyway?!! :spin:

Not sure if you have the wrong insurance company or the wrong car. When one of my '05 manny wagons got totalled by a hailstorm 3 years ago, Geico gave me $10,500 for it. I bought it back from them for $3K and sold it for $5K. Cha-ching.

Not sure if you have the wrong insurance company or the wrong car. When one of my '05 manny wagons got totalled by a hailstorm 3 years ago, Geico gave me $10,500 for it. I bought it back from them for $3K and sold it for $5K. Cha-ching.

Here in Quebec mainly the law is different, at any accident it will be always no fault policy on both parties that means both insurance will handle the premium, modifying your car or if you put some performance parts aside from its original manufactured production is against the law, that is not counted as add-up on a car once your done on an accident. They always have a blue book to look with how much exactly it is. So now since I have a 2005 model, putting a lot of new parts due to an aging car, if it were totalled knock on wood, I cannot get that certain amount that I Put in.

Sorry, no pictures yet, had to work late yesterday and couldn't get to the shop. I'll try again today.

Did some searching around, www.carparts.com a local junk yard has two doors for not much money. I want the car fixed. It just runs so good and has a bunch of new parts plus all new brake lines last March.

Here in Quebec mainly the law is different, at any accident it will be always no fault policy on both parties that means both insurance will handle the premium, modifying your car or if you put some performance parts aside from its original manufactured production is against the law, that is not counted as add-up on a car once your done on an accident. They always have a blue book to look with how much exactly it is. So now since I have a 2005 model, putting a lot of new parts due to an aging car, if it were totalled knock on wood, I cannot get that certain amount that I Put in.

I love Montreal, but that's a major reason why not to move to quebec...

But your beer is much cheaper.... hmmm

Max, glad to hear you're ok! Your wagon will be back on the road in no time at all.

I also had the passenger door not open, it was stiff cables in the cold and so it jammed that latch, I was able to get a coat hanger down beside the window and yank on the cables on the inside and it popped the latch. I lubed the crap out of the latch and shes been great since.

08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

So........

When are you posting the part out thread?

Hoping it doesn't come to that. There appears to be no damage the pillars, doors are cheap, rear fender can be repaired instead of replaced.

I think I said if it wasn't for the flat tire, you could drive the car.

I'll tell you, I have been wondering when it's going to become time to sell it. It's so hard to think about letting it go.

On the drives back from VT after skiing...those thought's come into my head. How much longer do I want to keep making this 145 miles drive on winter weekends.

But then I roll into the throttle and....:)

Archived