LegacyGT.com

Drivers door won't open

Is there an option for them to total the car and you can buy it back and just fix it out of pocket?

In WI when I was in a minor collision with my old EG Si they totaled the car, cut me a check for 3k and I had it fixed for about half of that. Because the car was over 10 years old, no salvage title was issued. I ended up $1500 but it was still a hassle. I kept my car and no salvage title.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Getting it fixed under contract, still sounds like a better idea to me. I also don't pay the normal body shop rate, so I get a saving there.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Is there an option for them to total the car and you can buy it back and just fix it out of pocket?

In WI when I was in a minor collision with my old EG Si they totaled the car, cut me a check for 3k and I had it fixed for about half of that. Because the car was over 10 years old, no salvage title was issued. I ended up $1500 but it was still a hassle. I kept my car and no salvage title.

Yes, but you don't want to do that if fixing under contract is an option. That would force you to get a salvage title in a lot of venues, which is a pain and trashes the value of the vehicle. Some states, especially on the coasts, will require salvage vehicles to get repaired and then reinspected to verify their safety before allowing you to register it. It sucks.

This varies by state, Wisconsin is pretty lax on some things. Their injury statutes are weird, but that's a different thread.

Brought to you by Pfizer

This thread goes a long way, but the thing is did you fix that door Max?

Update,

They totaled the wagon. They have agreed we can fix it under contract. They will send out and appraiser on Mon. or Tues. and assign a value and we'll move forward with the repair from there. My buddy at the body shop will handle it. He knows the car well.

This way the car will have a clean title. It may cost me a few dollar, but in the long run its worth it.

Above is the qoute from post 62. I'll know more after the appraiser gives us an amount. (Monday or Tuesday) which is tomorrow or the next day ;)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

The car has been checked by the shop, no other damage then what we can see. They removed the inner fender liner, the A pillar looks fine.

Appraiser should be there tomorrow...

Not to mention 63y/o 6ft tall 200lbs

Ouch! Hope that Knob didn’t hit your balls, that happens to me once while cleaning the interior due to that I was too lazy to go around I went thru the mid console then hit that knob. Luckily I still made it 4 Kids so far :lol:

Update, Insurance will send a check for $4399.17 after I sign the form on Monday. I assume that's the 70% thing.

I'll be on the hook for about $500. to cover the total repairs.

Haven't talked time frame yet but I assume it will be ready late next week or early the following.

It will be nice to have it back. I have the Spec B in VT currently, it has new snow tires and with the recent snow I didn't want to drive the rental car, Dodge Journey for skiing these three day's. Here's a photo from last night and this morning about 7AM.

DSCN7791.thumb.JPG.e07c53beee3a7329c8422f154870bee3.JPG

DSCN7792.thumb.JPG.6ea2084cb7c6d9a22c4076e6fff75611.JPG

The car should be ready next Friday.

It's been a decent past week here in Vt for snow. Last Friday we had about 4" and the skiing was pretty good Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Sunday night got 12-14" and yesterday got 10-12". I skied during the snow storm yesterday, the day just kept getting better and better. I had my wide skis on yesterday 106mm under foot. Today had my fat skis, 119mm under foot. Got first tracks on one of our favorite trails and I kept coming back to it as it seemed to have the best snow. Dry and light. Must have skied that trail 9 or 10 times.I have one more day in VT than have to be home Saturday for a birthday. She said I could stay up and ski...but I think it's better if I spend the weekend with her. I think in the long run, that will have better benefits...;) LOL

Should have skipped the Journey and driven the spec.b. The would have comped you for loss of use to make up some of that $500.

I did drive the Spec for the first week, until they decided they would pay. Now that we have a agreement, I'll ask about getting something for that first week.

I did drive the Spec for the first week, until they decided they would pay. Now that we have a agreement, I'll ask about getting something for that first week.

Good call, you're not out of line asking $25/day. I'd happily pay that over the cost of a rental.

Brought to you by Pfizer

sigh. I wish we had that amount of snow over here...

20cm a few weeks ago, 6 months in total of snow, I have a lot of scratches on mine cause sometimes the city is the last one to clear the snow putting again across my driveway, so I don’t have a choice but to go over that.

6a47fdb848aa09a12d9591563cb1352c.jpg

Jesus the drivers door can break off as well? It's already a hassle because my whole keyless system is not working plus the driver side rear door wont open from the outside..

and the other day I had to open with the key like always and the key lock would not turn..

Out of all this I want the keyless system to work again

Yes, I had t he drivers door handle replaced years ago by the body shop. They charged me $120 back then. That's what I thought it was this time...if I had just waited a little longer for the lock de-icer to work, I would not had taken that drive and may be would not have been hit...who knows.

I will say I notice that white ambulance more lately as I'm driving around town. Last night I went to pick a pizza and drove past him going the other way on the narrow back road to the pizza place 2 miles away. Gee, I can't get away from that guy... remember he dose live 4 house down the street...

Update,

Saw the wagon today, replacement doors are on, jams have been painted. Doors are still just shells. Doors close nicely, they did have to do a minor adjustment on the B pillar but that was just a strap and small tug.

Dropped off four new snow tires, Blizzack LM001's. I didn't see the replacement wheel, but he did tell me they have painted two of the wheels. I'm sure they came out great.

Looks like my amount will be $230 on the total bill, to have a clean title.

Shooting for Monday to have it back.

Archived