LegacyGT.com

well....crap. please help

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You sound like you know what your doing.

When you rotated the crank by hand after the TB install did all the marks line back up ?

Make sure all the connectors are back where they belong.

So no one touched the valve clearances ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Is it possible to put the HG on backwards or is there a left and a right HG ? Just trying to figure something out...

I have been looking in the service manual on pages 72 and 1757 to see if I can think of things.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

The rings will let some air pass, its not a perfect seal.

If your timing marks line up after rotating they must be correct. Yet other then putting the HG backwards... what's left ?

The rings will let some air pass, its not a perfect seal.

If your timing marks line up after rotating they must be correct. Yet other then putting the HG backwards... what's left ?

Torquing the head down in the right order and right numbers.

Just reread post 1, make sure you didn't reverse some of the electrical connectors. I believe someone else has done that. Found it and changed them to the correct place and the car started.

which connectors? i was sure to label the coil pack connectors and even the coils to make sure i put those back in the right place. the wiring harness is such a specific length, i cant fathom how i would get a connector wrong. can you point me to that thread and I'll take a gander.

riddle me this: is it possible for the crank to be 180 off? basically, for every one rotation of the cams, the crank rotates twice, correct? perhaps i need take the TB off again, rotate the crank 360 and put it back on?!? i dont know, i'm just spitballing here. i'm getting really frustrated at this thing now. I was hoping to have the car listed for sale tomorrow and now i'm in it so deep i probably wont make much profit on it.

thinking about the sensor connectors on each head, they are all unique between the cam position sensor, the TGV motor, the AVCS, and the only two that may be swapped are the injectors, but due to the length of the harness, it's highly unlikely that the injector connectors are swapped.

Seem to recall the crank position sensor and oil pressure switch...or something like that. go over all the connectors and the big one on the shock tower.

wont allow me to upload pics for some reason so i'll try photobucket

See Post #6. Loaded these all from PB using the URL load feature in Manage Attachments.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

...any insight on my 180 off crank position theory?

Just looking at your photos, your valve timing looks correct. The crankshaft could not be off by 180 degrees because you have the timing mark at 12 o'clock.

Being a 4-stroke engine, the crankshaft turns twice for each complete cycle. However, mechanically for the pistons and crankshaft every rotation is the same. It's really the valve and ignition timing that differentiate the compression/exhaust or power/intake strokes.

Are you getting spark and fuel?

If you are getting spark and fuel, I would expect the engine would at least sputter weakly when trying to start it, even if compression is low. Just as a WAG, is it possible to exchange the camshafts for left & right head by mistake? I believe they are stamped with some identifying info.

If you can set up a leakdown test, put each cylinder in turn at its TDC and put it under pressure, you should be able to hear air escaping if a cylinder is not holding pressure. Where the air is escaping from may give you a clue what is going on.

Archived