LegacyGT.com

well....crap. please help

hmm..never thought of the immobilizer. I'll be sure to have all three sets of keys in the car the next time I crank it over.

after I put the timing belt back on and the plugs back in, i'll take a short video of it trying to start and post a link here.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ISTR there was something in the FSM about resetting the ECU after R&R, otherwise the injectors would not fire, even with fuel present. Are you seeing any codes at all?
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

no codes. checked all system parameters before I even tried to start the car with my scan tool and everything checks out ok.

I know the plugs and injectors are firing. I tested for that already with a spark checker and when I pulled the plugs, they were wet with fuel. I do have a fuel pressure tester and an injector impedence tester, but based on the plugs, I know I have fuel getting in to the chambers.

Throwing ideas out here

When you installed the new head bolts did you do the propper bolt stretching procedure?

Have you tried starting fluid when starting

can you hear and see that the throttle is opening and closing

are all hoses back properly eg there is no open vacuum leaks or brake booster hoses etc check with vac gauge when starting

if the plugs are wet you are flooding it. Have you tried disconnecting the maf or map sensor it should go into limp mode and ignore values from them and you may be able to get it started

Did you check that you have good fuel pressure

Try pushing and holding the gas pedal at max, there is something where it wont give any more gas because it thinks its flooded

Also try disconnecting battery, wait a min, unlock car with remote do not hook any scan tools up to it and then try starting it. My wifes car and my car have had issues after pulling the battery and it had to relearn things

Listening to the cranking on the second video indicates an uneven compression situation so I'd go back and make sure that everything is correct and that the correct camshaft is on the correct side as well.

Just about everything when it comes to timing is now on the table, even the weirdest reasons and causes like the cat swapped your valves when you weren't looking.

And no forgotten rags somewhere during the installation?

453747.png

That's what I was hoping you'd try next, weren't you going to do a leakdown test where you put the engine into TDC for each cylinder with reference only to the crankshaft position? I can't think of anything else it would be other than valve timing and you could confirm or rule out that possibility.

Agree with Nils - from your video she's making compression on at least one cylinder, but not as much if any on the others.

Do the leakdown before you tear it down so you don't miss something that you'd just have to tear it down again to fix/sort.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Leakdown numbers are earlier in the thread.

Only one head was done at a time so no possibility of swapping intake cams or,exhaust cams. Already verified intakes are on top and exhausts are on bottom

I have not done a leakdown test using only the crank marks yet, but will get to that tonight.

Those leakdown numbers are just fine. You compression numbers are low indeed. Still though, this is crazy. Let's summarize what you've checked:

--all four spark plugs receive sparks, correct?

--all four injectors are getting fuel

--timing marks are fine

--cam sprokets are properly installed on the camshafts

--leakdown turns out fine

What's left now??

--perhaps reconfirm that timing is correct by actually counting the number of teeth between pulleys. See FSM for details

--immobilizer working fine?

--somehow the heads are not torqued properly? or something wrong with the gaskets used? resulting in a poor seal between the block and the heads, lowering compression numbers? But then you'd have coolant seeping in no? Just a wild guess :confused:

You sound like you know what you're doing and appear meticulous. So don't give up. You'll figure it out.

Archived