LegacyGT.com

2019 Subaru Ascent Mid-sized SUV - True 3-row vehicle

SBT

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Subaru lost their way when they stopped making an LGT and got rid of every fun engine / transmission variant.

And when they got rid of the little 'Subaru trademarks' like their frameless windows on all their cars. That's why I am keeping these outbacks until they die or get totalled.

I been looking for a family SUV. About time Subaru coming out with a 3rd row. I'm very skeptical with the 260hp to the crank and the weight of the vehicle it be nice to have the different power options. I be concern of the CVT if it's equipped (did not look into it).

I'm really struggling with this decision... the price for the Touring trim is on par with a 4Runner Limited, fully loaded, with full-time 4WD. They essentially have all the same features, but the 4Runner has more room, more ground clearance, a locking center diff, and a few other minor things. The Ascent has 19 cupholders and better mpg.

Edited by Adoniram

I'm really struggling with this decision... the price for the Touring trim is on par with a 4Runner Limited, fully loaded, with full-time 4WD. They essentially have all the same features, but the 4Runner has more room, more ground clearance, a locking center diff, and a few other minor things. The Ascent has 19 cupholders and better mpg.

I've been looking at the 4runner too. Give us one with a diesel engine already :mad:

I've been looking at the 4runner too. Give us one with a diesel engine already :mad:

Turbo diesel? I'm sold. Or gas + better mpg + CarPlay. I'm sold again.

Honestly, I'm leaning heavily towards a used (2014+) 4Runner and holding out until the Ascent gets a better engine (either more power or hybrid). Or until the 4Runner gets an actual update and not just a facelift.

In the meantime, I'll probably spend the ~15-20k in savings on a trip to Bora Bora :lol:

4Runner is a fun car, a good looking car too, the ascent is new but I want to give it another year or two before I consider the brand new engine, especially with a turbo on it. The Subaru will age well. It’s a bummer they just went with one engine choice, hopefully they add another engine close to 300hp because a car of that size should be putting out more hp.

Remember though. You really want torque for this type of car IMO. And it already has a pretty good amount of it. And that is on a stock tune with regular gas I believe. I am pretty sure with a stage 1 tune and 93, we'll get a very nice torque increase. Question is, can the CVT take it...

IIRC, the Ascent has as much GC as a 4Runner. Pretty sure that was the vehicle Subaru benchmarked before they built Ascent.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I have test driven a 4runner, it doesn't have as much passenger room as my Legacy, no way it has more interior room than the Ascent.

In fact there is not one dimension in which the 4runner is larger than the Ascent that I saw at a glance.

Break out your tape measures folks... I went to the auto show in Dallas, and should have measured the Ascent as well, but go ahead and compare to your current vehicles:

Distance from the front of the back seat (where your knee bends around) straight out to the back of the front seat:

• 4Runner:
    • Front Seat All The Way Forward: 17"
    • Front Seat all the way back: 7.5"
    • Front adjusted for 6'0" driver: 11"
    • Rear cargo width (opening): 48"
    • Rear cargo depth: 42" (no 3rd row in this model)

[*]Lexus RX350:

• Front Seat All The Way Forward: 15.5"
    • Front Seat all the way back: 6"
    • Front adjusted for 6'0" driver: 7.5"
    • Rear cargo width (opening): 45"
    • Rear cargo depth: 39" (3rd row not even an option)

[*]Ascent:

• Front Seat All The Way Forward: TBD
    • Front Seat all the way back: TBD
    • Front adjusted for 6'0" driver: TBD
    • Rear cargo width (opening): 44"
    • Rear cargo depth: 21" (with 3rd row in)

The third value is what I consider the real-world leg room figure. This is when a seat is adjusted for a real driver, and measures the "feel" of how much room you really have. The 4Runner felt much larger than the Ascent, both in height and legroom. The 4Runner felt positively cavernous compared to the RX350.

Also, I feel this figure is most relevant for people with car seats (I have two in each vehicle). The passenger in my '16 TLX and '07 TL Type-S have to sit waaaay forward to accommodate the car seat behind them.

And, there is no standard way to compare legroom figures, so this is why I actually went and measured some vehicles. Wish I had done the same with the Ascent...

IIRC, the Ascent has as much GC as a 4Runner. Pretty sure that was the vehicle Subaru benchmarked before they built Ascent.

Everything below is:

Ascent // 4Runner Limited 4x4

Ground Clearance

8.7" // 9.6"

Departure Angle:

21.8° // 26°

Approach Angle:

17.6° // 33°

That may not mean much to people outside of Colorado (where I'm moving) or mountainous areas, but it means a lot to me for off-roading and camping access...

Same for me actually. I like going off-roading too. I think it will always be hard for Subaru to have good approach angle simply due to the engine/transmission layout (unless they really increase the ground clearance). It's too bad. They are such capable vehicles.

But I am sure we'll be able to lift that Ascent at least 2". And it won't look out of place I bet.

An adjustable suspension is the obvious choice here... maybe that'll appear in the next update/iteration?

The 4Runner has an option in the TRD trim (I think) that adds another 1.5". I'm not sure if that's manually controlled or a permanent change, but a lot of vehicles have these adjustable ride heights. The Ascent could easily incorporate that, making it WAY more capable, especially for those approach/departure angles.

Just as ugly though... if not uglier. What happened to our quirky brand with few creature comforts, fewer gadgets and gizmos but plenty of drivetrain and engine spunk?

It's become more vanilla than Toyota/Honda/Nissan, Kia/Hyundai and Chevy/GM combined. I guess so long as it sells them more sheet metal, more power to them. But in the process, Subaru lost its soul. To me thats a loss, no matter what Mr Doll or head office suits in Japan may say or see once the accountants finish cooking the books in late March.

This is where we just have to accept the fact that quirky Subaru features didn't sell the cars. Ever since Subaru got toyotafied their sales have been off the roof.

I for one hate frameless doors, it's fun for a cold weather car not to be able to open it's doors after it has rained and iced over. The glass it self is stuck to the weather striping, pull too hard and you wont have a glass. This is why I'm glad my '12 outback has framed doors (which became my cold weather car over LGT).

Another quirk that Subaru fixed is horrible gas mileage, I wonder if Toyota helped them with that one. What's funny now is, a 2018 Impreza wagon will get better MPG then the FWD Toyota Corolla iM :lol:.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

I lived above the Arctic circle for a while and never had issue with the windows getting stuck.

Maybe it's not as humid there? With VA humidity, I've had windows be frozen shut on my 05 LGT and 04 FXT. Both were frustrating and required some heavy tugging on warm water to get them unstuck.

While on my Framed door cars, a little tug and it opened just fine with no risk of glass being damaged too.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK