LegacyGT.com

2019 Subaru Ascent Mid-sized SUV - True 3-row vehicle

SBT

How did it handle though? How about power delivery?
It drove like a truck. Typical v6 power delivery nice and strong in the middle. Shifts were direct and a bit lazy just the Highlander. My head scraped the headliner in the 2nd row as well. For the price i expected more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't be. I was on an island surrounded by sea water ;). And my car was always parked outside. We've had all kinds of weather there. Snow, ice (literally 1/4 inch thick on the roads), slush, you name it. I loved it though! I even had to ride my bike with studded tires. Miss those days :(.

There are industry standards to measure interior room, that is where the comparisons come from.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Can you find them? The RX350 has more “official” legroom than the 4Runner, yet that is obviously not the case by any stretch of the imagination. One manufacturer is measuring to/from very different positions and configurations.

Can you find them? The RX350 has more “official” legroom than the 4Runner, yet that is obviously not the case by any stretch of the imagination. One manufacturer is measuring to/from very different positions and configurations.

SAE J1100

Even the way you measured has variability in the angle of the seatback. The best way to gauge what works for a particular person is to try it out. The specs in the brochures are more like campaign promises than facts. :lol:

The company that sells air ride suspensions to get low should consider making a set to gain ground clearance instead, which seems to be a popular mod with the aging foresters and tribecas. Could open up the offroading world for the Ascent, forester, outback, and crosstrek.

4 runner

Head 39.9/38.6/34.3

Leg 41.7/32.9/29.3

Hip 56.5/55.7/43.3

Shoulder 57.8/57.8/57.7

Ascent

Head 41.2/40.0/36.3

Leg 42.2/38.6/31.7

Hip 57.7/57.5/45.9

Shoulder 61.1/60.3/57.2

Edited by TwoTone

4 runner

Head 39.9/38.6/34.3

Leg 41.7/32.9/29.3

Hip 56.5/55.7/43.3

Shoulder 57.8/57.8/57.7

Ascent

Head 41.2/40.0/36.3

Leg 42.2/38.6/31.7

Hip 57.7/57.5/45.9

Shoulder 61.1/60.3/57.2

Clearly the 4runner is larger...:rolleyes:

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Compare the Lexus RX350:

RX350

Leg 43.1/36.8

4 runner

Leg 41.7/32.9/29.3

The Lexus has a full 1.4" more in the front, and about 4" more in the back. Right? These numbers don't lie... right?

Wrong. With the front seat adjusted for a 6'0" driver, the 4Runner had 3.5" more rear legroom (maybe 'knee room' is better) than the RX350. That's like bumping up to "Economy Plus" if you will. Big difference in feel, and a LOT more room to move around if you're finagling car seats and kids.

But hey if you want to believe what's on the internet, I got a picture proving the Earth is flat:

aWMV5BK_700b.jpg

RX350

Leg 43.1/36.8

4 runner

Leg 41.7/32.9/29.3

The Lexus has a full 1.4" more in the front, and about 4" more in the back. Right? These numbers don't lie... right?

Wrong. With the front seat adjusted for a 6'0" driver, the 4Runner had 3.5" more rear legroom (maybe 'knee room' is better) than the RX350. That's like bumping up to "Economy Plus" if you will. Big difference in feel, and a LOT more room to move around if you're finagling car seats and kids.

But hey if you want to believe what's on the internet, I got a picture proving the Earth is flat:

aWMV5BK_700b.jpg

Adjusting for you is great, but you can't justify your method as objective. Not every 6' driver sits at the same seat height and angle, or has the same length of limbs. I probably sit closer to my steering wheel than some other 6'1" person, but I probably sit closer to the floor as well because my torso is long. Their method of measuring is as objective as yours. In any case understanding what is being measured allows a consumer to make an informed decision to go and test drive a vehicle which will ultimately decide how well it fits them and their driving/sitting position. I agree, the measurements can be deceptive but that is why you test drive and compare.

When I went searching for a vehicle I adjusted the front seat for me and then sat right behind to see how much room was there. That is how I ended up with my legacy and we did the same for the Odyssey, adjusted the front two rows for myself and then sat in the rear to see how it was.

Well, ok, the 4Runner has 1.5" more rear legroom with the front seat adjusted all the way forward or all the way back. So even without subjective measurements like what I made, it's still more than the Lexus, which has 4" more "officially."

And when they got rid of the little 'Subaru trademarks' like their frameless windows on all their cars. That's why I am keeping these outbacks until they die or get totalled.

Even worse - the ATS transmission isn't as good as the VTD transmission.

453747.png

Will get a firsthand look at all of them today. Will attempt to get as many pictures as possible and ask anything I can think of after viewing. Edited by SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

RX350

Leg 43.1/36.8

4 runner

Leg 41.7/32.9/29.3

aWMV5BK_700b.jpg

The way they prove the Earth is flat is as good as your subjective measurements that prove the 4 Runner is bigger :rolleyes:

Hop in a 4Runner before/after you see the Ascent, for comparison purposes. Post your thoughts.

I have been in a Forerunner, it feels smaller than a Highlander which feels significantly smaller than a Honda Pilot.

I am hoping the Ascent compares favorably to a Pilot for interior size, because honestly I think there is more room in a crv than a Forerunner. The Forerunner just isn't packaged that well compared to a Crossover.

Edited by Rhitter

My wife is the daily driver of a current mode (2016) Pilot. It is riddled with several minor annoyances mostly due to the infotainment system but I have long term concerns about the new DI engine in it.

We chose the Pilot for its space over the Highlander but in hindsight i wish I made more of a case for the Highlander. I knew I wasn’t going to be driving it so I didn’t care.

Just got back from the Atlanta Auto Show, which was pretty decent... not LA or NY amazing, but pretty decent.

No real concepts per se, but I sat in every single 3-row mid-sized SUV, that I could possibly get to, except possibly KIA and I sat in the Hyundai equivalent, so figured "close-enough".

No manufacturer beats the Ascent in fit/finish and benchmarked items except the Chevy Traverse, which is just longer, and at the price point that Subaru is bringing it, it's typically $10-20K less than the competition for Limited and Touring models. Ford Explorer Platinum was over $60K and still felt tight and confining inside. Chevy was also $55-60K and felt, well, Chevy-ish. None could bring an AWD Turbo 4 at anything close to Ascent's price of entry.

In order of preference:

1. Ascent - just knocked the socks off the competition and was consistently surrounded by people - and that was the first day of the event. No other mid-size SUV got the kind of attention that Ascent did
  2. Mazda CX9 - very nice interior, but light on the towing @3500 lbs
  3. Toss-up
    • Chevy Traverse - nice use of space, nice materials, but $55-60K+ for RS/High Country (RS uses 2.0L I4T vs 3.6L V6)

• Hyundai Santa Fe - well-thought-out, but still Hyundai

[*]Toyota Highlander - best of the "appliance" models

[*]Ford Explorer - Solid - heavy - vehicle. EBV6 tons of power, but consistent low mileage from owners I talked to...~16-18 around town, and 22 hwy tops...towing significantly less.

• Atlas - Okay, just felt too patched together MQB platform similar to GSP. Old VR6 wasn't generating much interest based on rep's feedback.
  • Pilot/MDX - very disappointing on too many levels
  • Nissan - didn't like anything about it - seemed bloated and Nissan CVT is fail OOTB.

Thoughts

Stream of consciousness dump on Ascent, which I'll add to as I recall.

Easiest step-in/out of all of the mid-size SUVs. Several felt like you would want a step rail

Full size spare, it's just not a full-width spare - but looks like there's room for an FSS, but the question then becomes whether that would impact the hitch arrangement.

Asked several of the reps to demo how the rear fascia "uncovers" to expose the hitch - which wasn't mounted on this vehicle. They said they did not know, but that engineering had that all covered.

I slid under the back end to look at the back of the fascia and it looks like some "pop-it" unturns and it's out, but could be even less complicated than that. BTW - I'm thick-chested, and slid under easily.

Took a shot of the rear diff. Looks to be a R160, though it could be an R180 or something else... it was different. Photo didn't turn-out... :(

Mid to Y-piping is some of the smallest I've seen on a FI Subaru. STI was definitely larger, so there's room for some "improvement there.

Unable to find the block stamp to identify engine type. Rep seems to recall FB, but not positive. We both searched, could not find it.

Talked to the rep about the DI carbon issue, and he mentioned that Subaru was aware of this and had done something to manage it, but couldn't address further - whether for lack of addt'l knowledge or didn't want it out in free range - convo stopped. Hinted sort of - There might be something of BRZ/FRS's dual setup.

Had a a 6'2 guy (long legs/short-ish torso) sitting in the driver's seat, at nearly 6', I was in the 2nd row behind him, and I had a 5'8" thicker woman in the third row behind me. Surprisingly, we all fit though #3 was brushing the back of my seat with her knees, and I had room to move forward and relieve that without jamming me into the driver. She said that it was pretty comfortable.

Floor room and ergonomics were perfect, exactly where you would expect to find them. It's like reaching down for your rear brake handle and it's just there - everything had that sense of thought-out balance to it. Love the overhead cooling for rows 2 and 3.

Sunroof is huge, with the forward half sliding up and over the rear half, which remains in place. The sunscreen fully retracts to the rear. The one feedback that I provided on the SR, is that the front wind deflector is a spring-loaded perforated textile, and I'm confident that a few years of sun exposure and that might very well end-up sun-rotting and tearing. I recommended the Forester's venturi type deflector. It springs-up, just like the Ascent, but is scooped every inch or so, like a rear venturi on an STI that sets above the rear window

I know that I constantly have my sunroof open, and at 32*N and lower latitudes, the sun bakes everything not otherwise protected. The rep mentioned that there is an available SR covering, similar to most models that seats on the roof around the forward edge and back 4-5" that will be an option. I like these, especially when it's raining, because you can crank the SR back a few inches and the rain, typically, doesn't intrude while you're driving. Backing up a hill, not so much...AMHIK :).

There was no VIN tag on anything, anywhere in the engine compartment, but I took a picture of the one on the driver's pillar. No other identifiable worthwhile tags that I saw.

Confirmed the trans cooler is in place and is toward the top and forward of the radiator on the driver's side. Solid aluminum construction, no plastics that I saw.

Tire size is 245/50x20 on Limited/Touring and pressures are spec'd at 33PSI front and rear, a first in my collective Subaru experience. Always been a F/R bias 35/33...32/30...30/29... etc., unless towing then usually 3-5psi higher at rear with stock front psi.

Agree with Suboperator, 2nd row seat was the easiest of all the versions to move.

PICTURES

to follow once I resize them.

343254432_IMG_1894(Resized).thumb.jpg.3af90522c2752932b3c0d860c56d5766.jpg

500649883_IMG_1896(Resized).thumb.jpg.2e9e5cdefbc4a7cbe129a9bec329aedf.jpg

926248035_IMG_1897(Resized).thumb.jpg.462e633f2868f356c5db36189253a4b1.jpg

1463901065_IMG_1899(Resized).thumb.jpg.93deab5f81c8ad5a1efc3b43c5d68883.jpg

81173357_IMG_1895(Resized).thumb.jpg.b068a0b2e33641adc4961c1e67e9c349.jpg

92353711_IMG_1900(Resized).thumb.jpg.cd39e7c9439397335fa73b9547722ef2.jpg

124364937_IMG_1901(Resized).thumb.jpg.ce3aa0de020355d425481d6377b91a35.jpg

1680591620_IMG_1902(Resized).thumb.jpg.a5efa3db03b82c5341534e4ca7d23d00.jpg

369857493_IMG_1903(Resized).thumb.jpg.2217294105a6f237fefb460db7d8b890.jpg

1638658023_IMG_1907(Resized).thumb.jpg.880738c4bc43153217a283bb83430ac5.jpg

Edited by SBT
added photos

Adoniram -

Climbed-up and into the 4Runner. It's obviously a truck-based platform, solid, utilitarian. You don't just slide into it. The step is there for a reason. Interesting that the the Ascent has higher ground clearance than the Pathfinder, but the 4Runner is higher with a larger step up.

Talked to several people there who owned recent ones, and their largest complaint was mileage. Dead reliable otherwise, but no one seemed to top 14MPG in mixed driving.

Felt like the floor and the driver's seat-top were too close together. Don't know if that's to increase the head room, to keep you closer to the vehicle to reduce your tendency to buck and roll, or what. But, it made for a more flat-legged driving experience, if you wanted the steering wheel adjusted for proper elbow angles and hand placements.

Probably more my issue, but check it out if you're somewhat tall.

Edited by SBT

I slid under the back end to look at the back of the fascia and it looks like some "pop-it" unturns and it's out, but could be even less complicated than that. BTW - I'm thick-chested, and slid under easily.

people attending antique BMW shows have it harder.

http://cl.jroo.me/z3/r/X/c/d/a.aaa.png

Buy the cheapest one you can get and get in touch with these guys: http://dieseltoys.com/4runner-diesel

Not cheap but would be so nice.

That's pretty wild, but way too expensive. I am not so enthusiastic about modern diesels anyway. I'd stick with 1GR-FE. It's a good mill. I have it (single VVT-i though) in our Tacoma.