LegacyGT.com

New Subaru Ascent, 2.4 DIT...

"The Ascent offers the confidence of Subaru Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive along with a powerful turbocharged SUBARU BOXER engine that allows the Ascent to tow up to 5,000 pounds...and the Ascent is packed with the latest technology like standard EyeSight® Driver Assist Technology "

The future is now. Very likely Eyesight is standard equipment on all new Subaru's soon... unless they don't find a way to equip it on models with a manual transmission (Mazda offers their driver assist features as an option for both automatic and manual transmission equipped vehicles)

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am actually curious how they would make the eyesight work on a car with a manual trans.

They'll probably have it only on CVT models. What they usually mean by "available as standard equipment" is that its not an up sell and even the base model would come with ES.

I am actually curious how they would make the eyesight work on a car with a manual trans.

Mazda has some sort of shift light warning for their manual/autobraking equipped cars, I can imagine in emergency braking that the car might stall if the driver does not shift, but perhaps they manipulate the clutch electronically?

Just a guess, but Subaru will release Eyesight as standard equipment on all auto equipped cars (maybe as part of each model refresh), and the manual transmission will be phased out of more models except the BRZ/WRX/STI

Not sure when these crash prevention technologies will be mandatory on all new cars, but that is coming, too.

It would require adding integrated clutch control/management, but I don't think much else would be necessary.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

It would require adding integrated clutch control/management, but I don't think much else would be necessary.

Think it would be a little more involved. It would even need a way to shift gears. like in a scenario where you are cruising at highway speed and the traffic comes to a halt. or when the ACC speed varies across gears.

You could just ride the clutch, but that won't be good for the car nor subaru's high quality reputation.

The other way is to make the whole shift mechanism electronic and your shift rod is not connected to the transmission, but has an electronic board that sends a signal to the "shifter motor". like the e-parking brake. Not sure how enjoyable that would be to drive though.

Think it would be a little more involved. It would even need a way to shift gears. like in a scenario where you are cruising at highway speed and the traffic comes to a halt. or when the ACC speed varies across gears.

You could just ride the clutch, but that won't be good for the car nor subaru's high quality reputation.

The other way is to make the whole shift mechanism electronic and your shift rod is not connected to the transmission, but has an electronic board that sends a signal to the "shifter motor". like the e-parking brake. Not sure how enjoyable that would be to drive though.

They could utilize Eyesight without Adaptive Cruise Control. It could emergency brake with clutch/ brake control and lane keep/ lane warning would be functional.

ACC would be very tough as you mentioned above

Can anyone confirm the fuel economy or the fuel type this thing is gonna take? I am thinking premium but hoping for regular.

There's been a lot of speculation about the octane requirement. Subaru did improve their old 3.0 H6 to run 87 on the 3.6 H6 in the late 00's when they dropped the EZ30 for the EZ36.

That being said, the 2.0T engine in the WRX puts out about 260 horsepower with the 91/93 requirement. The Ascent has the 2.4T that is suppose to put out slightly more. My guess is they've "de-tuned" the engine for performance and have optimized it for 87.

Other manufacturers have an 87 requirement, as well. Might be foolish to not do that. Around this part of the country, it costs more to run a T4 than it does the H6.

Waiting for an official response or statement though. All speculation until confirmed.

Think it would be a little more involved.

I agree; details matter. But I didn't intend my one-sentence post to be a comprehensive design review. In a vehicle with a manual transmission, the critical issue is maintaining full EyeSight functionality down to zero road speed.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Not a fan of distracted driver nannies either.

You (and a lot of others) seem to miss the point of EyeSight. Rather than being a "distracted driver nanny," it's a very attentive co-pilot who's there to supplement your already-outstanding driving skills. I drive the way I always have, and I'm seldom aware that EyeSight's even there. Unfortunately, advertising drones (for all car manufacturers) seem unable to comprehend or communicate anything other than "it will drive the car for you and keep you out of trouble."

I would agree that anything that promotes driver inattention is a bad idea. Systems like EyeSight may allow inattention, but they aren't intended to promote it.

spacer.png

This ^

I wish every car had lane departure as a standard feature. I see awful driving every day and people road raging due to their own mistakes. I forget I have that feature as it is a rare occurence. Eyesight helps me for the 1% of the time I screw up. Worth every penny.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

. Eyesight helps me for the 1% of the time I screw up. Worth every penny.

That's it in a nutshell ..... nothing more needs to be said !!!

There have been two excellent comments on this thread on the same day .... yours above, and that of ammcinnis when he said " Systems like EyeSight may allow inattention, but they aren't intended to promote it."

The early/mid 80's subie dashboard didn't have much distractions going on:

http://www.bedug.com/pics/Fun3/Subaru-1800-GLF-4WD-1983-21.jpg

The 4 gauges were fuel, engine temp, battery voltage and oil pressure.

Stick shift with a dual range manual 4WD shifter as well.

The most distraction you could get was the adjustment of the steering wheel or changing channel on the radio unless you had passengers distracting you.

453747.png

I don't even like having traction control, much less a lane departure system that's going to reign me in or yell at me if I clip an apex. ABS I can live with, but outside of that I am just fine with as analogue as possible.

As more and more intervention becomes standard, then mandatory, don't be surprised when the last bit of driver control is legislated away and you aren't allowed to pilot yourself on a freeway or in the city anymore. Followed by at all.

I could suck start a snow blower.

I don't even like having traction control, much less a lane departure system that's going to reign me in or yell at me if I clip an apex. ABS I can live with, but outside of that I am just fine with as analogue as possible.

As more and more intervention becomes standard, then mandatory, don't be surprised when the last bit of driver control is legislated away and you aren't allowed to pilot yourself on a freeway or in the city anymore. Followed by at all.

buy some stock in tracks where people can drive.

As more and more intervention becomes standard, then mandatory, don't be surprised when the last bit of driver control is legislated away and you aren't allowed to pilot yourself on a freeway or in the city anymore

This is coming sooner than you think or want it to. Just a matter of time...7-10 years tops in my opinion.

Archived