LegacyGT.com

New Subaru Ascent, 2.4 DIT...

Guest Derrick0580
I was told the pilots were to be started sometime in November, usually that is when they are released officially because pilot models are the ones sent to dealerships to get first impression reviews and tested and all that jazz.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
I hope they don't try to push the 2.4 into the place of all of the 3.6's next year.

I honestly think Subaru will phase out the 6 cylinders. If they were going to stick with it, I think the Ascent would have it offered instead of a turbo. I think we'll see the 2.4 DIT put into the Legacy in place of the 3.6R for the 7th generation as a 2021 for better fuel economy.

I would expect the 2.4DIT in 2020 model year, since the models are generally on a 5 year refresh cycle. And I do believe the H6 is going away very soon. Face it guys its old and inefficient, the 2.0 DIT in the wrx/forester puts out more power, torque, and gets better fuel economy.

Did you guys see this? If this is really true, then Subaru will definitely get rid of that H6..

http://www.motortrend.com/news/next-subaru-wrx-sti-will-almost-definitely-hybrid/

Quote from above link:

"As for why Subaru would potentially electrify the next STI, Hawken said it has to do with emissions requirements. “We are definitely working on downsized turbo engines,” he told AutoExpress. “With Euro 6c coming in next September, cars like the existing STI have to stop. By 2019 and 2020 manufacturers have to show a massive drop in CO2. The future is petrol, hybrid, and electric.”"

I honestly think Subaru will phase out the 6 cylinders. If they were going to stick with it, I think the Ascent would have it offered instead of a turbo. I think we'll see the 2.4 DIT put into the Legacy in place of the 3.6R for the 7th generation as a 2021 for better fuel economy.

You're absolutely right. Subaru, like many manufacturers, is facing a lot of pressure from the government regarding fuel economy. They are trying to do whatever they can to meet the CAFE standards so they don't get fined. Let's face it, even though the EZ36D (the 3.6 engine) is cheaper to run with 87 octane, and it's a less complicated machine, it only gets 20/27 I believe, which hurts the fleet numbers.

I would expect the 2.4DIT in 2020 model year, since the models are generally on a 5 year refresh cycle. And I do believe the H6 is going away very soon. Face it guys its old and inefficient, the 2.0 DIT in the wrx/forester puts out more power, torque, and gets better fuel economy.

Agreed. I'm just hoping they don't ninja it into the 2019 model. I'm holding out for what I think will be the "last" year of the 3.6 engine for my next Legacy. I'm prepared to buy now (2018), but would prefer to wait for 2019's model.

Did you guys see this? If this is really true, then Subaru will definitely get rid of that H6..

http://www.motortrend.com/news/next-subaru-wrx-sti-will-almost-definitely-hybrid/

Quote from above link:

"As for why Subaru would potentially electrify the next STI, Hawken said it has to do with emissions requirements. “We are definitely working on downsized turbo engines,” he told AutoExpress. “With Euro 6c coming in next September, cars like the existing STI have to stop. By 2019 and 2020 manufacturers have to show a massive drop in CO2. The future is petrol, hybrid, and electric.”"

Which is garbage. I wonder how much CO2 among other nasty byproducts are produced when we make lithium and battery packs? God forbid they fail and cause a fire - that's a lot of nasty stuff.

I like it. It's big, probably too big for me, but I do dig the utility with it. The million dollar question is if that new 2.4T is going to require 91/93 octane or if they figured out how to run off 87!
Too bad I ain't making the Engine decisions... That thing needs a 3.6R Turbo!!!

Heck, a Legacy 2.5 Sport makes no sense to me... A Legacy 'Sport' should at least have the 3.6R...

Heck, a Legacy 2.5 Sport makes no sense to me... A Legacy 'Sport' should at least have the 3.6R...

The correct answer to legacy and sport in the same sentence is the 4th gen LGT. Carry on. :spin:

I could suck start a snow blower.

It doesn't make any sense to me either, but Subaru is just following other manufacturers in their class. One of my friend just bought a new Honda Accord Sport a few months ago.

It doesn't make any sense to me either, but Subaru is just following other manufacturers in their class. One of my friend just bought a new Honda Accord Sport a few months ago.
Heck, I ordered a Black/Black 18' 3.6 and would have liked the Sport's door/dash trim instead of that fake wood...

Hell, I'm still disappointed that Dark Blue only comes with Ivory Interior...

Yeah Honda does the same thing... No V6 in the 'Sport' model... Sold my 17' V6 a few weeks ago because I can't get used to FWD...

Future engines will most likely be more complex and have fewer cylinders to minimize friction. One added feature that starts to appear is turbocompound solutions.

maxresdefault.jpg

Above is a truck diesel engine with turbocompound technology.

453747.png

Guest Derrick0580
The official production Ascent will be debuted at the LA auto show....having seen the actual production model in person I gotta say that my life is officially over outside of working mass overtime. Priced comparable to the outback...they won’t be able to build them fast enough! To me it looks like a ford and a toyota had a baby and was immediately placed on steroids.

The official production Ascent will be debuted at the LA auto show....having seen the actual production model in person I gotta say that my life is officially over outside of working mass overtime. Priced comparable to the outback...they won’t be able to build them fast enough! To me it looks like a ford and a toyota had a baby and was immediately placed on steroids.

That's great, I wish this was around 2 years ago when my wife wanted a 3rd row SUV. Unfortunately, the Tribeca was not practical for our situation (though I did try my best to convince her otherwise)...

I wonder if the 2.4T will trickle down into the Leg/OB next year or if they'll hold off till the 2020 MY Refresh... Will have to keep my eyes open for the press releases from the NY and Chicago Auto Shows next couple of months...

I wonder if the 2.4T will trickle down into the Leg/OB next year or if they'll hold off till the 2020 MY Refresh... Will have to keep my eyes open for the press releases from the NY and Chicago Auto Shows next couple of months...

I would think they would just introduce the new engine in one model (Ascent) for 2019 and then roll it out across the Legacy/OB platform for the SGP in 2020.

even if it does it'll all be cvt only so who cares

Yeah, it would be shocking if it came in anything but a CVT for Ascent. Same goes for the Legacy/OB.

I am interested if this ends up being the next STI motor when the WRX platform goes to the SGP.

Archived