LegacyGT.com

New Subaru Ascent, 2.4 DIT...

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The WRX S4 which is a Japanese only factory 'tuned' 2.0 DIT and CVT/SI Drive makes about 300hp (US versions are sold at 268hp).

So I will double down, the next STI will get this new 2.4 DIT tuned from the factory so stock it makes over 300hp (the current engine is 305hp).

This solves the Subaru dilemma of keeping the WRX and STI distinctly separate.

If they went with the same 2.0DIT from the WRX for the STI, they would lose their market for the STI except for track and offroad users (which is a small market).

Guest Derrick0580
I agree with upstater seeing how they have problems with the top ends on the 2.5 sti engines. Only makes sense to try and remedy that with a new design.

The WRX S4 which is a Japanese only factory 'tuned' 2.0 DIT and CVT/SI Drive makes about 300hp (US versions are sold at 268hp).

So I will double down, the next STI will get this new 2.4 DIT tuned from the factory so stock it makes over 300hp (the current engine is 305hp).

This solves the Subaru dilemma of keeping the WRX and STI distinctly separate.

If they went with the same 2.0DIT from the WRX for the STI, they would lose their market for the STI except for track and offroad users (which is a small market).

The WRX S4 uses the same drivetrain as the 2012 Legacy B4 2.0 DIT. So if it was meant for the WRX STI, it would have been in it by now. There are only two years (1?) left before the WRX and WRX STI moves to the new SGP platform.

I am thinking the new 2.4 DIT will be the first in a new family of engines, and it will spawn a new 2.0 DIT for the WRX and WRX STI since Japan uses engine size to calculate taxes.

A reliable source told me that it will be making over 300 hp.

Just remember that the transmission, the transfer assembly, and the rest of the drivetrain will have to be engineered to handle the increased torque reliably.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

as the op posted 2.4L Direct-Injection Turbocharged SUBARU BOXER® engine

all turbocharged engines require premium gas.....

Nope...

Highly recommended? Sure. Required? Nope

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

The award winning 1.6L Direct-Injection Turbocharged SUBARU BOXER® engine used in the Levorg runs on 87 octane.

https://www.torquenews.com/1084/new-subaru-levorg-developed-out-perform-legacy-25i

Granted it only makes 176 hp, so here's hoping Subaru can make at least 276 hp on regular with the new 2.4DIT.

2.5i make more hp with premium gas as well. Turbocharger engines can be tuned to run properly on 87 octane, especially with direct injection. Other manufacturers are designing and tuning the engines for regular gas. Subaru's current 2.0DIT all recommend premium gas, though.

At least for Ascent, I don't see Subaru requiring premium gas (or latest I think it would be a mistake to require it for it intended market.)

Guest Derrick0580
Just remember that the transmission, the transfer assembly, and the rest of the drivetrain will have to be engineered to handle the increased torque reliably.

Yes, definitely! They haven't let many of us see the actual production model, some but not all. Some of us have seen the bare stripped down bodies and let me just say these things will be big compared to the outback. They are gonna need plenty of torque and hp just to get this thing down the road! My wife has already said she wants one!

2.5i make more hp with premium gas as well. Turbocharger engines can be tuned to run properly on 87 octane, especially with direct injection. Other manufacturers are designing and tuning the engines for regular gas. Subaru's current 2.0DIT all recommend premium gas, though.

At least for Ascent, I don't see Subaru requiring premium gas (or latest I think it would be a mistake to require it for it intended market.)

My 2015 WRX 'could' run on regular gas, though premium was recommended.

But on a hot summer day, it had to have top tier premium gas, or it would fall flat on its face (it retarded the timing really badly when I tried running non-ethanol 91 octane, which was the top grade sold at Stewarts).

I imagine the WRX S4 version which is tuned would require premium or it would suffer the same fate at even lower temps.

Subaru isn't Hyundai. Their 2.0 turbo (in the Sonata) runs on regular gas.

fingers crossed it has a flex fuel sensor and can dial up the power when you put in 93. i agree it would be dumb of them to require premium since a lot of people hate getting premium even when there car requires it. i have had the Octane talk with my dad probably a hundred times and he still doesn't get it so I'll assume most people just think there car wants "the good gas" and not "the gas that will prevent detonation"

Yes, definitely! They haven't let many of us see the actual production model, some but not all. Some of us have seen the bare stripped down bodies and let me just say these things will be big compared to the outback. They are gonna need plenty of torque and hp just to get this thing down the road! My wife has already said she wants one!

Any pics :hide: ?

Come on! We're friends :lol:

Guest Derrick0580
Any pics :hide: ?

Come on! We're friends :lol:

Uhmmmm, NO, i like my job! And the engineers watch you like hawks when you are in the room with the production model!

The Volvo dual charged 6 ran on regular as well.

I was sad that they didn't have it as an option in the S90.

(The new 4 DOES require premium).

Lighting Mods

Low Beams: D4S - OSRAM XENARC 66440 CBI HID BULBS

Highbeam/DRL: 9005 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 9005NBUHCB BULBS

Fog: H11 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 64211NBU-01B BULBS

Subaru 20mm RSB

Archived