LegacyGT.com

Mod Recommendations for Daily Driver?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you guys are saying that the fix is to flush the system?

Flushing the system is most effective when the failed turbo is 1st replaced or shortly after to limit the damage of the metal in the engine. Hopefully the driver of the car with the blown turbo also didn't drive all that far either.

She is bone stock right now but I would like to do some light performance mods

Merc6 said it first.. "depending on what your budget is"

I'll spare you any further fear mongering in regards to the new turbo. It isn't without good reason to consider, but once we start getting 5thgen 2.5i owners weighing in on the subject it might be worth getting back to the original question ; )

some consider stage 1 as a decent increase in power. I say it's "step 1" in getting away from the stock tune. There isn't really a tangible increase in performance. With an accessport and catless downpipe, you're getting into "stage 2 on a budget" which will yield a mountain of torque in the midrange on your 5EAT. Horsepower doesn't increase as much with the auto on this beginner setup(compared to the manual transmission). You should have a close look at the turbo inlet connection too, the clamp can rip through and tear the tube causing a leak at the turbo.

There are countless other things to consider but since you're just starting out I think it helps to have some perspective on what you can expect.

You need a catless up-pipe too, those are cheap and plentiful.

A couple of things I've seen posted in here that do not apply to the 2008 model year:

- there are no banjo filters to remove like 2005-2006

- the daytime running lights are the highbeams, so the problems the 2005-2007s had with using the lowbeams for DRLs and burning them out does not apply

A couple of things I've seen posted in here that do not apply to the 2008 model year:

- the daytime running lights are the highbeams, so the problems the 2005-2007s had with using the lowbeams for DRLs and burning them out does not apply

Yes, there are banjo filters in all of the 4th gen LGT model years.

OP is 2005..

This pic is from mspranks' turbo swap walk-through, the turbo feed (filtered banjo) bolt is vertical on your 2008 and outlined in red (right beneath the inlet)

IMG_0169.thumb.JPG.5bc5f8b012eb62d4b546716d6d5e71e6.JPG

That's odd. I had the filtered banjo bolt on the top of the head with my 08. I didn't bother with the AVCS bolt since the one from the block was spotless.

I'm also pretty sure, that my DRLs are not the highbeams...

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

Well the car hasn't blown up yet.

I'm sure I will know soon enough if there is going to be failure.

Not sure how long I should wait before I start modding as I would hate to purchase parts for a broken Lgt. I am drooling with anticipation.

Side question: Will going catless downpipe through a CEL or is that were the tune comes in?

Side question: Will going catless downpipe through a CEL or is that were the tune comes in?

There is an EGT sensor in the catted UP that needs to be deleted when you go to the catless. You can avoid a CEL there by doing a resistor mod. A tune will take care of that CEL as well (without the resistor mod), as far as I'm aware.

There is an EGT sensor in the catted UP that needs to be deleted when you go to the catless. You can avoid a CEL there by doing a resistor mod. A tune will take care of that CEL as well (without the resistor mod), as far as I'm aware.

Do you know if something like the Cobb will take care of that?

Not sure how long I should wait before I start modding as I would hate to purchase parts for a broken Lgt. I am drooling with anticipation.

Save yourself a headache and wait until you know the basic things are fine with the car...I spent some hefty $ on mods and am paying for it dearly..What we all thought was a boost leak (hole in turbo inlet.) turned into not only a leak, but the compressor in my turbo going bad as well..so now I'm waiting for a turbo to arrive. Long story short, save yourself some money and headache and just wait until you know for sure you're good to go.

Unless the V2 and V3 had the abilities to disable CELs 1 by 1, no. Resistor is how my tuner disabled my CEL when I went from APV1 to Open Source.

I also 2nd just make sure the car is fine before going Tax Season on it. We aren't trying to scare everyone who comes into town like it's a Scooby Doo mystery, just caution you to not fall into the same issues we have. I replaced my turbo and put about 9000 or so miles on my car before the signs of engine damage was near. I was an idiot tho and was in the process of being AWOL to my unit so instead of calling for a tow I drove it 15 miles home on a busted turbo and left it there. I just made it to Enterprise before they closed and made it back to base 2 states away in time. When I was searching the CELs, Nasioc pretty much said it was 1 of 3 things. Change oil, change OCVs or change engine. I did the 1st 2 and it didn't fix the cels and then the engine eventually started knocking.

The Used Oil Analysis is cheap insurance and don't ever take short cuts is the lesson learned.

If you get a used oil analysis and it comes back clean, then the internals of your motor are most likely sound, and you should feel "safer" modifying the vehicle. I would still complete other preventative measures like checking the turbo for shaft play, doing a boost leak test, removing banjo bolt filters, reinforcing your TMIC with the barman bean kit, zip tie your vacuum lines especially the blue-T lines. New up pipe.

Better yet, just post the UOA on here, and the forum will provide feedback.

If the test comes back and you have high iron content or something else indicating engine failure, then you'll need to address that before spending money on anything else. Indicators like that could indicate that the motor oil you are using is inadequate, or the motor itself is bad.

Brought to you by Pfizer

If you get a used oil analysis and it comes back clean, then the internals of your motor are most likely sound, and you should feel "safer" modifying the vehicle. I would still complete other preventative measures like checking the turbo for shaft play, doing a boost leak test, removing banjo bolt filters, reinforcing your TMIC with the barman bean kit, zip tie your vacuum lines especially the blue-T lines. New up pipe.

Better yet, just post the UOA on here, and the forum will provide feedback.

If the test comes back and you have high iron content or something else indicating engine failure, then you'll need to address that before spending money on anything else. Indicators like that could indicate that the motor oil you are using is inadequate, or the motor itself is bad.

I have the Turkeylord one here somewhere. I can't remember how many times I had to pull the Perrin TIMC to get one of those lines back on. I swear it went back on a different way each time.

I have the Turkeylord one here somewhere. I can't remember how many times I had to pull the Perrin TIMC to get one of those lines back on. I swear it went back on a different way each time.

I went with the Turkey Lord barbed T as well. No regrets, and the price was right.

Brought to you by Pfizer

I went with the Turkey Lord barbed T as well. No regrets, and the price was right.

Wut??

I tried looking that up several ways and got exactly what would be expected - not car parts. :lol:

05' LGT, ZFD Built 5MT, Stage 2 Cryotune 91/E85, 170,000mi running BRotella T6 and Ecoguard S4615 filters.

Archived