LegacyGT.com

2009 Outback XT EJ20X Swap

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should note that the EJ25 timing belt kit I bought, the water pump is set up for the oil cooler where the JDM motors do not have oil coolers. I ended up swapping the cooler from my 2.5 motor so I could use the new water pump.

I haven't done the timing belt in my new motor but I will have to figure this out when I get there, whether I want to swap the oil cooler or source a water pump without the cooler provisions.

EJ20Y comes with either a 5spd or 6spd transmission. It has the stock heat exchanger and regular style water pump. EJ20X comes with a auto transmission. It has the heat exchanger/ oil cooler on the rear driver side of engine. It is where the steering linkages goes in a USDM model.

So if your engine has a water jacket nipple on the rear driver left head then you have a EJ20y. You will need the water pump with no front oil cooler nipple on the left side of waterpump. Newer ej255 usdm engine like 2012 ish have the same water pump. I will look up the years and parts numbers and list them to help people out.

You can always swap over your usdm oil cooler if your motor failed from a Ringland and not from a spun bearing.

Subarus are like Legos!

Ok they are in the right order now. Good looking out.

Edited by texy32

EJ20x comes with either a 5spd or 6spd transmission. It has the stock heat exchanger and regular style water pump. EJ20y comes with a auto transmission.

I think you might have it backwards - EJ20X is auto trans, EJ20Y is manual trans.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
So for anyone using this thread as a resource, I changed the timing belt and water pump on this motor today. This motor was from an JDM automatic car (20x) so I guess that means I do not have the sandwich oil cooler under the oil filter (like the manual cars would) and the water pump does not have the extra nipple. I checked part numbers with the JDM diagrams and I bought water pump 21111AA250, this also crosses to many other USDM cars. The belt, tensioner, thermostat, and idlers are the same part number as the USDM cars. Everything fit, including the water pump, no problems!

You can also take the stuff off your usdm engine and swap it over if you get a JDM engine without oil cooler.

Side not. You can use the water nipple coming out of the left head on the Auto Version. I can be used as the outlet for the 4 cylinder cooling mode. Then you just need some house and a PVC or brass fitting and you save at least 50 bucks. And you used a factory water nipple on your head.

Edited by texy32

Dude I have several engines I've built at 400hp! They all have 30-40k miles by now. Not one burns burn a drop of oil! So far! Cross my fingers!

If you just drop a used jdm ej205 into your car you will have the same problem as a wrx ej205. When you up the boost the rods are junk!!

I put sti rods minimum into any 2.0l i build. Then i use d20 or u20 savcs heads not davcs for any model that has air pumps. I use v10 jdm savcs big ports for any year without air pumps.

Alot of newer model usdm turbos don't come with the heat exchanger any more.

Edited by texy32

Dude i have 30k miles at 400hp! My engine does not burn a drop of oil!

If you just drop a used jdm ej205 into your car you will have the same problem as a wrx ej205. When you up the boost the rods are junk!!

I put sti rods minimum into any 2.0l i build. Then i use d20 or u20 savcs heads not davcs for any model that has air pumps. I use v10 jdm savcs big ports for any year without air pumps.

Alot of newer model usdm turbos don't come with the heat exchanger any more.

The swaps he's talking about are people dropping in a JDM EJ20 long block in an attempt to save money. (instead of replacing the EJ25 that they blew up)

What you are talking about is an actual engine build. Huge difference.

I can do all my own work so I forget the cost of a shop ouch!

So here is the 350hp EJ20 solution. Way better gas mileage!

You can now get a EJ20 SAVCS drop in ready motor. Im getting out of the game so here is one of my little secret! The new SAVCS JDM motors yes Single and not Dual AVCS out of the 08 and newer SGT WRX, Forester XT & Exiga Turbo.

These motors have Subaru's harder upgraded bearings and the newer style heads with Air Pumps and better CC chamber design.

They are on Ebay for around $2000! Less if you shop around. Beware they have alot of non turbo engines listed as turbo.

You just need to use your manifold wiring.

It is a direct swap 2.5L to 2.0l.

The one thing that could be better is the rods.

But for a no hassle replacement to get your car back on the road this is it. Good for the same as a USDM EJ205. But is is not prone to bearing failure any more. Plus SAVCS and the newer designed heads.

Look at this on eBay

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F312416201573

ENJOY!

Edited by texy32

Just saying, I have 127,000 trouble free miles on my ej257 with my rebuild heads.

The car will get 24.5mpg on my DD to work, mostly highway miles. The car does get driven not babied.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 5 months later...

Do you know what kind of current those exhaust avcs solenoids might want? I want to see if I can use a standalone to actuate the solenoids directly or if I'll need a relay.

I would assume there is some kind of overlap standards that can be looked up and applied relative to a crank signal for rpm as a starting point to play with timing. It would be nice to get some sti datalogs to copy the intake avcs trends.

Very cool project! Are we able to get aftermarket valvetrain and cams yet for the ej20x/y legacy heads?

Do you know what kind of current those exhaust avcs solenoids might want? I want to see if I can use a standalone to actuate the solenoids directly or if I'll need a relay.

I would assume there is some kind of overlap standards that can be looked up and applied relative to a crank signal for rpm as a starting point to play with timing. It would be nice to get some sti datalogs to copy the intake avcs trends.

Very cool project! Are we able to get aftermarket valvetrain and cams yet for the ej20x/y legacy heads?

If you're looking to use the exhaust avcs, check this out:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eromraider%2Ecom%2Fforum%2Fviewtopic%2Ephp%3Ft%3D11237&share_tid=11237&share_fid=1883245&share_type=t&link_source=app

If you live where you don't have your vehicle tested via obd2, you can also use the jdm ecu. See the end of this thread:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=https%3A%2F%2Flegacygt%2Ecom%2Fforums%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D279426&share_tid=279426&share_fid=5383&share_type=t&link_source=app

Edited by rhino6303

My man!

I'm historic tagged, so no emissions. I want daily driver reliability, but I won't be driving the car daily.

I'd sure love to go standalone ecu and build a closed deck 2.2 ej22t block and run ej20x quad avcs with built heads. Then compound turbo it once I win the lottery and buy a wrecked sti for the 6speed.