LegacyGT.com

Just got a 2008 GT..My first Turbocharged car, new to everything, got some Questions!

As the title says, I just went and purchased my first car (upgraded from my 1991 toyota pickup) and it's a Subaru Legacy GT 2.5l Limited. I pretty much just jumped into this world of cars without a life jacket so hopefully this all goes well and I made a good purchase! So, let's get to my car...

Car has 151k on the body....but only 2.1k on the engine and a lot of its upgrades, and parts that were done 2 months ago. It's a little bit modded, (and TBH idk what some of this means or does, always been about trucks, so I'm in a whollllle new learning curve at the moment.) It has an upgraded vf52 turbo, grimspeed intercooler, catless invidia downpipe, Perrin cat back exhaust , spt intake , forged block/forged internals (Manly pistons, ARP headstuds), gates racing timing belt, new clutch, valves , gaskets , lines, tgv deletes , v3 access port, new rims and tires from les swabs, new cv axles from Subaru , bigger oil pan to hold one more quart oil, wired for subs, and a few other little things. It currently dynos at 301.5 WHP and 320 WTQ The engine work was all done 2.1k miles ago, full rebuild and the guy had all the receipts. Was done and tuned (performance tune) by PRE (Performance racing engineering) in Portland, OR. The receipt for just this was $6,800. Adding the receipts from les swabs and other misc things the guy had about 9k into the car in the last 2 months. I picked it up for 10k 5 days ago. He sold it because he likes his lexus more, so he's putting the money into that...good buy? I feel like it was, just want your guyses opinions. This is my first car fourm I'm posting on lol.

Also, with my access port, it's the V3 but I have very little knowledge on what to do with it, or what a lot of it means...for example AF corrections and AF learning, and A lot of other gauge options to observe...it's a super fun car, runs great, drives great, just looking for a point in the right direction! I'll try to post some pics but the upload keeps failing 🤔 *Edit* I got some to upload but I had to crop the hell out of them haha

20170202_200204.thumb.png.f40a7719d77954816363086b3b07d855.png

20170203_071827.thumb.png.153ade826af565b84c94fd0b3f6d3dbd.png

20170203_072812.thumb.png.ce7409b954b06d11c9201b53954d1af4.png

congrats these cars are a blast

Manual or auto?

Do lots of research so much valuable info on this site alone.

Also, try making the pictures smaller (crop them) to reduce file size they may upload easier and you can only upload so many- say 3 for example- at a time.

congrats these cars are a blast

Manual or auto?

Do lots of research so much valuable info on this site alone.

Also, try making the pictures smaller (crop them) to reduce file size they may upload easier and you can only upload so many- say 3 for example- at a time.

Manual, and I got it to work, just a lot of cropping haha

Great find! And a fair price too IMO. Here's some helpful links I encourage you to read through to get familiar with the accessport.

https://cobbtuning.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200025134-How-to-Datalog

http://www.cobbtuning.com/subaru-knock-monitoring-and-dit-knock-logic-changes/

On the second link, you can ignore the part about DIT changes, that's aimed at the new 2014+ turbo forester and 2015+ wrx engines.

Once you establish that the tune is solid (which I would bet it is based on where the work was done), you might want to just keep it in the glovebox or at home - watching the numbers all the time will get distracting. I would recommend plugging it in just to make sure the data is within normal range every 3 or 6 months or so depending on how much you drive it.

Remember, don't mod anything until you research what it is and how it affects the car. Keep it simple, drive it as is for a while to get used to it. Find out what you like, figure out what you want to change, research. THEN start looking into modding.

Welcome to the forums, hope to see more pics of that beautiful paintwork.

Your car is ready now, Mr. Vader. These forums are full of knowledge going back to the beginning of the fourth generation. Too much info at times.

Remember, you can use Google to just search these forums, for ex:

site:legacygt.com "whatever"

^ that's what I was going to recommend. In about 2k miles my car needs a quart. Faster if I have been boosting all the time.

spt intake - is generally not recommended. Suggest looking for OEM or getting anyone that's not SPT instead. Although you will have to get retuned for it.

Something to keep in mind - if you change anything from intake - downpipe chances are your car will need to be re-tuned for those mods. The ECU doesn't know how to adjust well to unexpected parts.

Check out www.tuningalliance.com for a tune, send him a data log and he can send you a better map.

Learn to check the oil and see how much oil the engine uses, never let it get low.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You'll want 6 gauges displaying at all times on the V3.

AFR (11.1 to 11.4 under WOT and full boost, 14.7 while cruising)

Boost

Feedback Knock - should stay at 0 but occasional -1.4 or -2.8 at low rpm, low load are fine

Fine Knock Learn - should stay at 0

DAM (dynamic advance multiplier) - should stay at 1.0

AF Correction 1

Boost

Feedback Knock - should stay at 0 but occasional -1.4 or -2.8 at low rpm, low load are fine

AF Correction 1

Thanks man ill definately get those gauges showing, im a little confused on what AF correction means and what AF learning means. AF correction after my drive to work today was -18.00/25.00...no hard pulls, and AF learning was -13/-4...only hit 7 pounds of boost during the drive. Car runs around 17 pounds. Havent found out what AF means however and whats good and whats bad.

AF stands for Air/Fuel ratio. Those factors are for fuel trim, learning is based on feedback the ECU has seen while you are driving, IOW how lean/rich the mixture should be at various RPMs and load ranges. Check out the technical forums here.

Great buy! Really nice deal considering the mods. My cousin has an 07 gt limited with similar mods. Same turbo and internals but different intake and exhaust. He's only doing 330 hp at the crank running 21 pounds of boost. Haven't dyno'd for awhp. So your car can make it to 330-340 at higher psi but don't recommend it.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Looks like a well cared for car. Welcome to the boards, lots of reading and learning ahead... good luck with her, and have fun!

Boost

AF Correction 1

He won't be able to monitor wide-band AFR like that off the stock sensors on the AccessPort as is (T/A has product for this however, haven't seen it in action).

I watch AF learning 1 instead.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Great buy! Really nice deal considering the mods. My cousin has an 07 gt limited with similar mods. Same turbo and internals but different intake and exhaust. He's only doing 330 hp at the crank running 21 pounds of boost. Haven't dyno'd for awhp. So your car can make it to 330-340 at higher psi but don't recommend it.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Sorry. Vf52's don't make that much power unless you run e85.

*i see you are quoting Hp at the crank. Who does that? Did you have the setup on an engine Dyno?

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

The Dyno numbers in your post look to be in the ballpark of a maxed out vf52.

Your car has a pretty solid list of mods. I don't think you mentioned which injectors you have, but where you're at now, e85/injectors if it is available will give you a really nice 20ish hp/tq bump. Otherwise all you need is a turbo-injectors-tune. Just note that you will be nearing the limit of what our 5MT can handle.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

Thanks man ill definately get those gauges showing, im a little confused on what AF correction means and what AF learning means. AF correction after my drive to work today was -18.00/25.00...no hard pulls, and AF learning was -13/-4...only hit 7 pounds of boost during the drive. Car runs around 17 pounds. Havent found out what AF means however and whats good and whats bad.

The first link I posted on my previous reply in this thread goes over what AF learning means and what to look for. Here's a direct quote:

Monitor: A/F Learning 1

What it does: A/F Learning 1 measures input from the front O2 sensor and applies fueling corrections.

What the numbers mean: The value in the log is a percentage correction of the injector pulse width base. A positive value means fuel is being added and a negative value means fuel is being removed.

Why you monitor it: This monitor can clue you in on potential intake tract leaks, bad sensors, or using the incorrect intake for specific mapping.

What to look for: In general, the values should not exceed a range of +/- 8, but the closer to zero, the better. If you see values outside of this range, the first thing to verify is that you are using the proper intake for the specific mapping. If you use a brand intake that is not listed on the mapping, you could create potential negative issues with the tune on the vehicle. It is also important to verify that the filter is clean and there are no other leaks in the intake tract. These are best tested for using a smoke tester. Other reasons these values might exceed this range are due to a dirty or bad MAF sensor, or a failing front O2 sensor.

Heres another link to go over all the different parameters if you want to see all the different items. https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wiki/display/PRS/Subaru+Monitor+List

Archived