LegacyGT.com

I'm about to loose my $hit. SOA needs to do a recall/ replace the 16mm rear sway bar

I agree with the more sensitive steering vs other cars. Do I think there's a problem with the car...no. I've had very minimal issues with my limited 15 2.5i and those I've had were addressed with recalls. Maybe just got lucky compared to some of you. I also think some of you are really digging for problems...not to start a fight. This is my first subaru and I like it. I admit my Hyundai sonata I used to have felt more solid but every car is different.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most cars are built for the average drivers and average situations. All vehicles are a compromise. The Subaru can be improved with different sway-bars, tires, and springs if necessary.

Before I purchased my last Outback I drove one several times, in the way I would be driving it if I owned it. Then I did research to see if the "issues" I had could be easily resolved - and they could. I made the purchase, then immediately upgraded the rear sway bar and tires. One can argue this shouldn't be necessary, but it was to achieve the handling characteristics I was after. I recognized the strong points of the Subaru were worth the little bit of tweaking I'd need to do, because I'm not the average driver.

I did the same exact thing with my 2017.

The Legacy/Outback will never be a BMW, so either made the minor modifications or sell it and get something that makes you happy.

I agree with everyone else this car tends to wander a bit but at the same time it's also a hell of a lot more fun to drive than other cars in this class I test drove. I also chalk it up to just being particular to the way Subaru designed the car. Perhaps I'm being too easy to accept it but it makes the driving experience a bit more raw to me but I love it.

I agree with everyone else this car tends to wander a bit but at the same time it's also a hell of a lot more fun to drive than other cars in this class I test drove. I also chalk it up to just being particular to the way Subaru designed the car. Perhaps I'm being too easy to accept it but it makes the driving experience a bit more raw to me but I love it.

Your post made me condense the entire complaint into the following:

"I loved my old X car. My new Y car doesn't drive like my X car and I don't like it. Something must be wrong with my new Y car so I'm going to whine about it."

I'm like you, I love my Legacy. Almost seems cliche' with all the TV ads now but it's true. And so far I've found no major problems and have zero complaints about it. It's not because I'm a "fanboi" or WTF ever people have titled each other these days.

OP,

You bought an AWD Toyota Camry. Lower your expectations.

Newer Toyota Camry's do not float around in the lane at speeds greater than 70mph. They stay very much centered despite significant crosswinds. I have a 7.5 generation Camry and routinely drive over 80mph on the highway. There's no wandering on stock equipment. The Camry also has as high a ground clearance as the Legacy.

These are mainstream sedans, it's not unreasonable to demand a car that doesn't jump all over the place at speeds greater than 70mph or when a semi truck passes you. In Texas the speed limit is 85mph.

Quit drinking the kool-aid.

I have a 7.5 generation Camry and routinely drive over 80mph on the highway.

These are mainstream sedans, it's not unreasonable to demand a car that doesn't jump all over the place at speeds greater than 70mph or when a semi truck passes you.

My Legacy doesn't. It is, in fact, rare that someone makes the complaint. That's right, once I got used to my car it drives as solid and straight as any I've had, more so than some.

Welcome to the forums, new guy. How nice that in your first post you come here, admit to being a Camry driver, never admit to driving the Legacy and experience the problem, and insult forum members who enjoy their cars sans petty, questionable and most likely baseless complaints.

You'll go far.

Newer Toyota Camry's do not float around in the lane at speeds greater than 70mph. They stay very much centered despite significant crosswinds. I have a 7.5 generation Camry and routinely drive over 80mph on the highway. There's no wandering on stock equipment. The Camry also has as high a ground clearance as the Legacy.

These are mainstream sedans, it's not unreasonable to demand a car that doesn't jump all over the place at speeds greater than 70mph or when a semi truck passes you. In Texas the speed limit is 85mph.

You obviously glossed over my previous post. Look at the alignment specs on an FWD Camry, you'll see tons of toe to keep it stable at speed. These are 2 completely different cars and cannot be compared apples to apples.

My Legacy does not wander even over 100mph (done on track), but it did take some getting used to since it was my first Subaru. My Forester does not wander either, but the driving dynamic did take some getting used to.

If you don't like how it drives, don't buy a Subaru.

What's the point of dropping by a forum for Subaru enthusiasts and complaining? Trolling?

My Legacy had one instance of lane wandering when I first got her. Around the third day after owning it, I was driving on a long straight highway and she was pulling left and right pretty hard. I remember talking to my girlfriend who was with me and saying how it was wandering really badly (Note I was going 60-70MPH). I dropped it into 5th and it helped but didn't cure it. After that instance I have not had the lane wandering. I'm not sure if it was just because it was windy and the road might have been curved oddly, or what. Glad I don't have it anymore, but I know what it feels like and with the Legacy being a very touchy steering wheel it really sucked.

My Legacy had one instance of lane wandering when I first got her. Around the third day after owning it, I was driving on a long straight highway and she was pulling left and right pretty hard. I remember talking to my girlfriend who was with me and saying how it was wandering really badly (Note I was going 60-70MPH). I dropped it into 5th and it helped but didn't cure it. After that instance I have not had the lane wandering. I'm not sure if it was just because it was windy and the road might have been curved oddly, or what. Glad I don't have it anymore, but I know what it feels like and with the Legacy being a very touchy steering wheel it really sucked.

I do tend to get the impression the car at times seems unusually easy to be affected by winds coming from the sides. Like you, I dont notice an issue most of the time but wind combined with sensitive steering can indeed make it feel slightly unstable.

Welcome to the forums, new guy. How nice that in your first post you come here, admit to being a Camry driver, never admit to driving the Legacy and experience the problem, and insult forum members who enjoy their cars sans petty, questionable and most likely baseless complaints.

You'll go far.

I have a solution for lookingtobuy run don't walk make sure the door does hit you in the a$$.

What's the point of dropping by a forum for Subaru enthusiasts and complaining? Trolling?

What the heck is wrong with some of you guys? Can't take any criticism of the car at all, huh?

I recently was shopping for a midsized family sedan and test drove many cars including the Camry, Accord, Legacy, Outback and Fusion. We have a Planet Subaru nearby that allows us to drive Subarus without the salesman in the car (a great thing BTW). So I drove the Legacy for a dozen miles around the highway, we had gusts of about 20mph in New England that day, and I distinctively noticed this tendency of the car to want to pull in certain directions. Didn't notice it on the Outback, but we drove that more on the winding country roads.

I ended up buying a 2017 Camry, but I visited several forums of the cars I've tested before I bought, just to see if there were any main complaints people had (like the sluggish CVT and harsh ride in the Accord and the poor gas mileage in the Camry).

I came back to this forum I had read wanting to mention my test drive but someone had said the "Legacy is just a AWD Camry" and to lower their expectations. Well, as a new Camry owner, I can tell you for a fact that it does not wander around in the lane despite heavy crosswinds.

The fanboyism here absolutely takes the cake compared to any of the other car forums where people at least had some semblance of objectivity and were happy to voice the faults of their cars. You guys make BMW owners look like saints. I won't be coming back.

What the heck is wrong with some of you guys? Can't take any criticism of the car at all, huh?

I recently was shopping for a midsized family sedan and test drove many cars including the Camry, Accord, Legacy, Outback and Fusion. We have a Planet Subaru nearby that allows us to drive Subarus without the salesman in the car (a great thing BTW). So I drove the Legacy for a dozen miles around the highway, we had gusts of about 20mph in New England that day, and I distinctively noticed this tendency of the car to want to pull in certain directions. Didn't notice it on the Outback, but we drove that on a nicer day and did more country roads.

I ended up buying a 2017 Camry, but I've read several forums of the cars I've tested before I bought, just to see if there were any main complaints people had (like the fickle CVT and harsh ride in the Accord and the poor gas mileage in the Camry).

I came back to this forum I had read wanting to mention my test drive but someone had said the "Legacy is just a AWD Camry" and to lower their expectations. Well, as a new Camry owner, I can tell you for a fact that it does not wander around in the lane despite heavy crosswinds.

The fanboyism here absolutely takes the cake compared to any of the other car forums where people at least had some semblance of objectivity and were happy to voice the faults of their cars. You guys make BMW owners look like saints. I won't be coming back.

Fanboyism? It's a legacy forum. That's going to happen. But OP is pretty much at a troll level with the stuff they are saying. I'm not defending either side. This thread just needs to die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently was shopping for a midsized family sedan and test drove many cars including the Camry, Accord, Legacy, Outback and Fusion. We have a Planet Subaru nearby that allows us to drive Subarus without the salesman in the car (a great thing BTW). So I drove the Legacy for a dozen miles around the highway, we had gusts of about 20mph in New England that day, and I distinctively noticed this tendency of the car to want to pull in certain directions. Didn't notice it on the Outback, but we drove that on a nicer day and did more country roads.

I ended up buying a 2017 Camry, but I've read several forums of the cars I've tested before I bought, just to see if there were any main complaints people had (like the fickle CVT and harsh ride in the Accord and the poor gas mileage in the Camry).

I came back to this forum I had read wanting to mention my test drive but someone had said it's just a AWD Camry and to lower their expectations. Well, as a new Camry owner, I can tell you for a fact that it does not wander around in the lane despite heavy crosswinds.

The fanboyism here absolutely takes the cake compared to any of the other car forums where people at least sought some semblance of objectivity. Even makes BMW owners look better. I won't be coming back.

I understand your feelings. Even I, as an owner of a Legacy, some times notice little bit of fanboyism in this forum. I love my car, but it's not blowing other cars in the dust in the same segment or anything. Each cars have their own strengths and weaknesses. Having said that, you know Subi brand always have had royal customers. They love their car a lot and sometimes they get little bit too defensive on criticisms like yours. I noticed the crosswind problem too, and felt it first hand. But to people here, it's an easy fix if you love your car. a good love of your car, some wills to get your hands dirty, 30 miniutes of your life in garage, and litttle bit of money to get thicker RSB will probably get the problem solved for 90%. That is very very easy task for most of Subi owners considering most of them are car enthusiasts. If you post a thread with this kind of title for such an easy fix at Subi forum, you will get rocks thrown at you.

Fanboyism? It's a legacy forum. That's going to happen. But OP is pretty much at a troll level with the stuff they are saying. I'm not defending either side. This thread just needs to die.

The Accord and Camry forums just have a bunch of owners who want to talk about or troubleshoot their cars, or potential buyers asking questions they've heard. Not quite the cult level seen here.

Camry owner threatens to leave Legacy forum, three posts later returns, film at 11...

PS: That's the final straw, I am not going to visit the Camry forums that I have never been to, because, why would I hang out on a Camry forum when I don't own one?

Get over yourself new guy. You came off as an asshat with your very first post, you can go pound sand for all I care. Stay, leave, either way you are still an asshat until you prove otherwise, you've already set the tone. By all means, don't feel obligated to prove anything, the door hitting you in the ass on the way out will suffice.

Hmmm, maybe I should go on over to the Camry forums and talk shit about the new rental I recently had and insult the membership. Bet you'd love that over there, welcome the new guy with open arms for walking in and being an ass right out of the gate. Sounds like hoot.

I ended up buying a 2017 Camry

Cool. Now GTFO. One less moron driving a car they shouldn't. God forbid you have to use the steering wheel to drive.

My 2016 legacy is #90XXX. Enjoy Camry #400000 and all of its mass produced blandness.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Yes professor!😆

Now head to your fanboy forum and you will be surely Not missed.😉

Laughter is the key to happiness

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

My 17 generally tracks fine (on original Goodyears) unless there's a very brisk wind. And I regularly get the car up to 85, occasionally higher. Now, you want to talk wander? My 14 with Nokian WGR3's wandered all the time, even after an alignment at the dealer (it didn't wander with the original Bridgestones).

I recently was shopping for a midsized family sedan and test drove many cars including the Camry, Accord, Legacy, Outback and Fusion. We have a Planet Subaru nearby that allows us to drive Subarus without the salesman in the car (a great thing BTW). So I drove the Legacy for a dozen miles around the highway, we had gusts of about 20mph in New England that day, and I distinctively noticed this tendency of the car to want to pull in certain directions. Didn't notice it on the Outback, but we drove that more on the winding country roads.

I ended up buying a 2017 Camry, but I visited several forums of the cars I've tested before I bought, just to see if there were any main complaints people had (like the sluggish CVT and harsh ride in the Accord and the poor gas mileage in the Camry).

You attributed the quotes to the wrong people....

Wow. I appreciate all the feedback to my post.. To break it down, it wouldn't matter what the particular issue might be at the time, Subaru service in my opinion is lackluster. Someone shouldn't have to act out their symptom thru interpretive dance for it to be acknowledged and addressed... To bring things up to date, I have contacted SOA and documented my complaint (SR #:1-20013812616). As advised by SOA, I scheduled a diagnosis appointment (1/9/2017) at another Subaru dealership( CitySide Subaru, Belmont, MA.) I will follow up with the results. And no, i haven't installed the 20mm bar in my trunk and i'm not going to. A bandaid is not the answer.

I have owned many cars. BMW, VW, Honda, Mercedes and Subaru. My last Subaru was a great car 2006/ 2.5 Limited. Bought it 10/2013 with 29k on it and traded it in 6/2016 with 59k on it. If I had know about the head gasket problems associated with the car I would have run the other way. Some TSB's are unltimately unavoidable, as with my first legacy it was very well taken care of, only after I was faced with a front end repair that would drive anyone mad. The front end repair, radiator, hood, headlight and bumper cover. Those were the original parts... Over 9 months later and the work needing to be completely redone with genuine subaru parts because the first shop went the cheap route.. In addition to going the cheap route they had added the a/c compressor to the claim to make more money.. That in turn introduced crap into the system causing it to fail. The second shop while replacing the radiator for the second time failed to put the correct amount of transmission fluid in the car, causing the transmission to buck horribly. Apologizing and topping off the fluid was the remedy.. But what about the damage done? Around this time the headgasket was found to be bad. Related to the known issue but never turned TSB. 2 Months later I pick the car up and it caught on fire, due to the radiator replacements and head gasket done with the engine in the car, all the stress on the transmission cooler lines and caused cracks in them and going un noticed led to a small fire that could have killed me. My reason for bringing this up is: I didn't loose faith in Subaru because i really felt that they produce a great product and i knew all of the crap I had to deal with was caused by the people that were supposed to help me. Everything except the TSB of the head gasket that subaru stuck it's owners with.. I was just lucky enough to get my auto insurance to pick up the cost. In closing I would be happy with getting my money back from ( Planet Subaru ). We know that isn't going to happen so i'm bracing myslef for a bumpy ride.

So I drove the Legacy for a dozen miles around the highway, we had gusts of about 20mph in New England that day, and I distinctively noticed this tendency of the car to want to pull in certain directions.

Also live in New England and have never in my life driven a car that DIDN'T pull during 20mph gusts. That's not exactly a light breeze. I personally have never had my car wander whatsoever and I frequently drove using only my knee. Just my $0.02

@BeastCoast1

Archived