LegacyGT.com

I'm about to loose my $hit. SOA needs to do a recall/ replace the 16mm rear sway bar

Did the dealer give you a Carfax report? If not you can get one your self to see if it was in an accident.

If the dealer or an employee damaged the car they probably repaired it in-house to avoid Carfax.

I had a shop repair a dent in my bumper, the person who backed into me paid cash to avoid an insurance claim and because it was less than their deductible, no reports filed.

A carfax accident report is a death knell to a cars price, the dealer would pay cash to repair it in house rather than send it out and have that recorded.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's surprising to see that someone would sell a perfectly good car when the current model is no different. So, it would be a warning to be very careful in getting a deal. But if you do buy one without checking and then start a thread with an accusation that Subaru is making cars that have a problem, it is not exactly helpful. I used to have a 63 VW (rear engine boxer - air cooled). Cross-winds made it want to change lanes and lift its front end. The Corvairs were designed to be less prone to this but they had a habit of doing a 180 on their own when the road was wet. I own 2015 and 2006 Legacys and there has been no wind problem (and neither did the 1995 precursor). They ride like they are on rails, so I am not asking Subaru to do anything.

True story, I worked while in college at what I think is now the largest Corvair parts distributor in the country (Clark Corvair), pre-1965 Corvairs had a very different rear-axle/suspension set up (along with the mid-engine placement) that did make them more prone to rollovers, post 1965 had a revised and more modern axle/suspension set up, but by then it was too late and "unsafe at any speed" was already pinned to the car.

In any case, I have taken apart about 60 corvair engines for parts. It was a great gig, I got to use air tools, a sledge hammer, and cutting torch and what could not be untorqued normally was taken apart in a very different and more fun way.

Also took apart over 80 doors, not as much fun.

Now that I live in FL, people here drive like crazy folks. I have to do 80 mph on a regular basis to stop people from running me off the road. I have had my 2015 over 90 mph on several occasions and typically run her at 75-80 on my daily commute in to work. I have never noticed anything other than a solid feel and great stability. Definitely sounds like something is wrong with your car, as others have implied, that needs to be looked into quickly.

I didn't buy it new, i wish I had bought a new one. I bought it this past 6/2016. It was a previously leased vehicle, they had said a Subaru employee lease to be exact.. I have complained about it, and to date, they have replaced front left wheel bearing and aligned it 4 times. When I bought the car, something that was and still remains odd to me is the trunk area. The rug is 2 different colors in the trunk. The floor piece is dark black and the sides are a light gray. The rug around the opening of the trunk and the lights was pulled away as it wasn't under the gasket of the trunk opening? When I brought it to their attention they claimed it was normal. Even if I would put it under the gasket it would pull away after awhile. To remedy that I got the trunk liner and side mesh pockets. Also, the trunk has deep scratches on the outside of it. Kinda looks like someone went at it with a snow brush? The reason I brought this up is, maybe it was hit and that is causing the handling issues I continue to have? How to find out if it was in an accident? They have said no, but I wouldn't take this dealership for their word anymore.

Just a friendly suggestion that the next time you go to the internet to complain about a product you own, resist the temptation to claim that every owner of that product has been having the same bad experience as you.

Especially when you bought yours used or from an unreliable source.

It looks pretty likely that you got screwed by the people who sold you your car. So you definitely have a valid complaint! But your complaint is NOT against all 6th generation legacys.

I have to say I've never noticed any drifting/swaying/floating in my 2015.

That said, I took the recommendations and swapped out the rear sway bar for the 20mm.

I noticed absolutely no difference in the handling of the car. My brother who drives my car 3 days a week also didn't notice anything different.

Maybe you need to start looking at your tires. The very fist thing I did was swap out the factory rubber. They are low-rolling resistance tires so maybe that has something to do with it.

I can understand what OP is talking about. My car floats around in it's lane above 75mph. I installed the 19mm RSB and still floats. Just got it aligned a couple days ago and it seems to have fixed it.

Which goes back to my suspicion that it may be an alignment issue.

And if you often drive above 55 to 65 mph you may want to step up the air pressure a bit too. It makes more difference than what you may think.

453747.png

Which goes back to my suspicion that it may be an alignment issue.

And if you often drive above 55 to 65 mph you may want to step up the air pressure a bit too. It makes more difference than what you may think.

OP said he's gotten it aligned 3-4 times already. Tires may definitely play a factor here (I've still got shit factory tires).

Went snowboarding last week and drove 7 hours (270 miles) round trip with my knee doing 80-100mph the entire way, stock sway bar, stock goodyear tires, and this sail on my roof filled with gear. Never had an issue whatsoever

Do that in a little Category-4 Hurricane, and you might have the same problem as the OP. You'd be surprised at the lack of capability this car really has.

Geez-Louise, they just don't make cars like they used to. :rolleyes:

I also had wandering at high speeds with crosswind but it was nothing too serious.. I wouldnt say that it was un-safe. It was just bit annoying, so I stepped up to 19mm and everything is much better. Still get little bit of push but doesnt wander like before. My bigger issue with this car is that it's not good at soaking up bigger bumps. It's indeed very good for small bumps and medium bumps but if you go over a bump of somewhat noticible size.. it's just unpleasant feeling. I am not saying the car suspension is too stiff, actually it's the other way around.. dampers are too weak against greater impacts. I heard they've updated suspension setup since 2016 model.. I wonder how their cars feel like

Have you tried to increase the pressure on the current tires with 10 to 20%?

It's a cheap test to see if this is the route that will improve your situation.

Adding more tire pressure made it handle even worse.. I'm just done. I can't deal with the way this car handles anymore. I had 1 1970 and a 73' Beetle.. Both handled amazing compared to this car... Even my 1976 Rabbit was better on the highway than this car... I have contacted SOA.. Of course they said to follow up with the dealer.. I'm gonna attempt a refund via Lemon law in my state.. Or just dump the car. It's not safe to drive on the highway.

Adding more tire pressure made it handle even worse.. I'm just done. I can't deal with the way this car handles anymore. I had 1 1970 and a 73' Beetle.. Both handled amazing compared to this car... Even my 1976 Rabbit was better on the highway than this car... I have contacted SOA.. Of course they said to follow up with the dealer.. I'm gonna attempt a refund via Lemon law in my state.. Or just dump the car. It's not safe to drive on the highway.

exactly what he said. More pressure results in less contact patch area.

exactly what he said. More pressure results in less contact patch area.

The reason why I suggested the increased pressure is because I had the experience that the tires on an earlier car were too soft and flexed too much causing bad handling. Smaller contact area is not the primary handling problem until there's a problem with the grip, but grip problems manifests themselves in a different way. The early 5th gens improved the handling considerably with higher tire pressure, but later did have better behavior.

But without driving the car and getting the feel for it there's no way to figure out what's wrong - if there's something that's wrong with it or if the behavior is just different from another car brand with a completely different geometry.

453747.png

I wish someone would get some resolve for the alleged problem. And I really wish I could drive one of the cars with the supposed problem to see exactly what the owner is experiencing.

When I first got my car I noticed right away that the steering is very sensitive and turn in is very quick. This took some getting used to and I found myself wandering around the lane, especially in the wind. In most cars small movements of the steering wheel can be made without much affect on the direction of the car at all. But with the Legacy it seems even the smallest amount of input to the steering wheel moves the car.

In heavy winds or when meeting a large truck on a two lane road I would basically over correct the car and wander from side to side of my lane.

I've also noticed that dips or valleys in the road surface, the troughs caused by heavy truck traffic, will cause the car to wander. As the shoulder of the tire hits these they grip the shoulder of the tire and the tire tries to run up the hill, causing the car to change direction. Low profile, flat bottomed tires are much worse for this than more traditional, rounded tread tires.

Once I got used to the steering the issue went away. I learned that this car doesn't require mucho input on the wheel to move things around and have had no trouble at all.

Sometimes when I get inattentive or tired I'll notice the car will again wander around the lane. This isn't the car's fault, it's my own because I've fallen into old habits of moving the steering wheel around like a 1976 chevy blazer again.

In a nutshell, I've learned that 1) if I don't want the car to move around or wander in my lane, I need to stop turning the wheel. 2) Tiny inputs to the wheel are all that are required. 3) I need to pay closer attention to what I'm doing, ie: driving the car, vs phone, radio, conversation in the car, general distractions and inattentiveness.

^^ This. A car is not a car is not a car. Subaru specs nearly zero toe for the AWD system and the suspension geometry is very different than say...a Camry that has tons of toe cranked into it to feel stable and not wandery. There's nothing wrong with your car, you just bought the wrong car for you, so shame on you for not doing adequate research and testing driving.

In a nutshell, I've learned that 1) if I don't want the car to move around or wander in my lane, I need to stop turning the wheel. 2) Tiny inputs to the wheel are all that are required. 3) I need to pay closer attention to what I'm doing, ie: driving the car, vs phone, radio, conversation in the car, general distractions and inattentiveness.

This. Learn how the car works since you failed to test drive or do any research prior to purchase. I have the stock RSB and experience minimal wandering. Even if the car starts to drift I just correct the steering. Damn Subaru making me have to drive the car using the steering wheel!

Archived