LegacyGT.com

Cam's Eternally Broken LGT Oil Cannon

Don't have much info to offer that hasn't already been passed. Just came by to say as others have that I can't believe you're still in high school!! I look back at posts from when I was in high school, early college and though I wasn't terrible, you can tell I was young.

If younger guys could be as articulate and straight forward as you, forums would be awesome everywhere, even on NASIOC!!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't heat them! The bottom gears are plastic and the top bolts are hollow and full of oil! Even if this weren't the case, heating from the heads is unlikely to do much to change the situation down at the threads in the cam.

If you are committed to not reusing the bolts, drilling out is a tried and true option.

It is known that an impact gun doesn't work, probably because there is too much slop in the system. A long bar will break them loose, eventually.

Thanks for the input. I never ended up trying heat so thats good. A breaker bar worked for the other two but the two left are getting pretty stripped out so its hard to get a good grip on them. I think a bolt extractor is going to be my next

attempt. Otherwise ill have to drill them out or cut the heads.

When you said you used the timing belt trick, you did take off the belt and make a loop directly over to the crank, right? There is way too much play in the system if the timing belt is still installed and you are holding only at the crank pulley. There are plenty of articles around (search this forum) so show how to do this. It kind of kills your belt though.

The belt was off and looped over the crank pulley with multiple pairs of vice grips... learned it on this forum ;) Trying again tomorrow ill report back how it goes

Thanks for the input. I never ended up trying heat so thats good. A breaker bar worked for the other two but the two left are getting pretty stripped out so its hard to get a good grip on them. I think a bolt extractor is going to be my next

attempt. Otherwise ill have to drill them out or cut the heads.

The belt was off and looped over the crank pulley with multiple pairs of vice grips... learned it on this forum ;) Trying again tomorrow ill report back how it goes

that's exactly what I was doing: with the breaker bar I was slowly rounding the bolt (soft metal to begin with). I then went the bolt extractor route. And it worked. see here http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/my-turn-adjust-valve-clearances-242071.html

Tried the bolt extractor we had at school with no luck. Only had a set which went on the inside of the head of the bolt so doesn't surprise me.. Ordered a set to fit on the outter part of the bolt head and hopefully will have them off before the weekend. I believe I've seen from other threads that an 11/16 bolt extractor does the trick. Is that correct?

Here's how to do it in 2 minutes:

Subaru Cam Bolt Removal by Outfront Motorsports Inc.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

Here's how to do it in 2 minutes:

Subaru Cam Bolt Removal by Outfront Motorsports Inc.

Yeh ive seen that while looking around and I can image its pretty effective... Just it'll be tricky welding in there and I had issues fitting our impact guns in there with the a/c radiator looking thing still installed. If it comes down to it though it would do the trick.

So heres my update for the week; Save your cringes for the last pictures of the gear. Bolt extractor did absolutely nothing but spin so after some cursing and destroying the outer part of the bolt head I took a dermal to it. Was easy going until I got to the outer edge of the bolt head...Then there wasn't any room to cut so naturally I nicked the gear. After a few more slip ups all hope was lost for the gear and in interest of time I had at it lol. Good thing I have an extra lying around at home but it was painful cutting up a $150 gear I just bought... Even after cutting half the bolt head off I still couldn't get it to spin out, and 3 cuts later it was evident the head was coming off completely to get the gear off. So thats what I did. Cut the head off completely and off came the gear. My instructor is going to help me removed the thread from the cam shaft with some bolt extractor technique he claims will work. Im home sick today but Im gonna get the remaining bolt off tomorrow; Likely gonna have to cut it too. More pics to come next week of the RTV filled cam buckets and what it looks like inside those rocker covers.

Have you tried to open a photobucket account and post photo's from there ?

At least you got one bolt out.

Hope your enjoying the snow. I hope to be back up at Okemo in a couple weeks. The start of another ski season.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

check out http://www.killington.com then check out the

well

http://www.killington.com/site/mountain/webcam/index.html

I use this site a lot it's easier to use for snow conditions.

https://www.basinski.com/2016/10/another-great-day-of-skiing-at-the-beast-basin-snow-report/

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Soooo walked into class today to find that the remainder of the bolt simply spun out of the thread... Made my day hahah. I ended up taking off the driver side rocker cover with the remainder of my day. Cams looked good and found nothing concerning other than excessive RTV I already knew about. I'm going to split the cam buckets on Monday and reseal them... Can anyone point me in the right direction for removing the cams? Should I remove the bucket piece first or the brackets for each cam? After looking at it today it looks like I could almost pull just the bucket off and leave the cams in place with the rear brackets on. Then just clean out the rtv and re do it. Thanks for anyone's input.

ANDDDD for anyone who cares lol we have been getting dumped on in VT. Killington opened Monday and has a pretty crazy amount of snow for October. I already got three days this season and got like 2 inches in my yard at home. Pretty rad

• Moderators
If you are sure that your valve lash is correct, just remove the from cam basket. Leave the rear cam cap and cams in place, but loosen the bolts on the rear caps. Reseal / install front cam basket and torque everything to spec in proper sequence (this is why you need to loosen the rear bolts).

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Soooo walked into class today to find that the remainder of the bolt simply spun out of the thread... Made my day hahah. I ended up taking off the driver side rocker cover with the remainder of my day. Cams looked good and found nothing concerning other than excessive RTV I already knew about. I'm going to split the cam buckets on Monday and reseal them... Can anyone point me in the right direction for removing the cams? Should I remove the bucket piece first or the brackets for each cam? After looking at it today it looks like I could almost pull just the bucket off and leave the cams in place with the rear brackets on. Then just clean out the rtv and re do it. Thanks for anyone's input.

ANDDDD for anyone who cares lol we have been getting dumped on in VT. Killington opened Monday and has a pretty crazy amount of snow for October. I already got three days this season and got like 2 inches in my yard at home. Pretty rad

Yes, some of us do care, well ok may be I do, been watching the web cams all week. Going to start getting the ski stuff ready to go this weekend. My son plans to go to The Boot Pro tomorrow to get boots.

Oh yea, good luck with the car...;)

If you are sure that your valve lash is correct, just remove the from cam basket. Leave the rear cam cap and cams in place, but loosen the bolts on the rear caps. Reseal / install front cam basket and torque everything to spec in proper sequence (this is why you need to loosen the rear bolts).

Alright alright well I'll have to think about what I wanna do then... Cause the same mechanic who went overboard on the RTV also checked the valve lash before he assembled it. Claims he had to replace a bucket but other than that lash is "good". I'll probably end up double checking to be safe. Unfortunately gotta work on my truck beginning of this week so Ill have to wait till Thursday or Friday to make any progress. I'll let ya know how it goes. Thanks for the help

Yes, some of us do care, well ok may be I do, been watching the web cams all week. Going to start getting the ski stuff ready to go this weekend. My son plans to go to The Boot Pro tomorrow to get boots.

Oh yea, good luck with the car...;)

Hahaha I'm glad your as stoked as I am ;) from the looks of it we might actually have a good winter. I was lazy today and didn't make it up to killi. They just opened top to bottom too... May have to take a "sick day" and sneak up sometime this week lol.

Heard from my landlord for our winter rental, He skied Friday, said it was pretty good.

I would have thought a mechanic in your area would know these engine better. After all its not like he doesn't work on these a lot. Seems to be the car of choice for Vermonters.

To follow up the un-related note of skiing at killington. I went last Friday and the morning was awesome. Solid 14" up top and 4-8" everywhere else. Had a blast riding pre-November conditions. Earliest I have brought out the board ever haha.

Keep crankin through the work man. I'm also a VT native. Honk if you ever see a BSM 4th gen wagon (VF52 POWWAAH'D)

If you're looking for a mechanic that will do things correctly give Joey at Kale's Customs a call. I can also recommend Six Star Motors. Both are in Colchester.

Auto Creek in Vergennes also does a lot of Subaru's, but I can't personally attest to their quality of work.

Are you at Vermont Tech?

Heard from my landlord for our winter rental, He skied Friday, said it was pretty good.

I would have thought a mechanic in your area would know these engine better. After all its not like he doesn't work on these a lot. Seems to be the car of choice for Vermonters.

Yeh its defiantly not too bad for October/November. And one would think someone would have a clue how to work on these around here but I am yet to find one. Short of the stealership that is. Bitched to the mechanic the other night after I took the bucket off and Im supposed to be getting some money back :) Got all sorts of great pictures to post... if I feel ambitious ill try that photo site tonight. Cleaned all the RTV out of all the various channels and there is no doubt thats why the seals were going. Hopefully getting the other side done tomorrow and then will just be waiting on a new tensioner and such. Ill check back next week possibly with good news :spin:

To follow up the un-related note of skiing at killington. I went last Friday and the morning was awesome. Solid 14" up top and 4-8" everywhere else. Had a blast riding pre-November conditions. Earliest I have brought out the board ever haha.

Keep crankin through the work man. I'm also a VT native. Honk if you ever see a BSM 4th gen wagon (VF52 POWWAAH'D)

Don't get me going i'm beyond ready for winter to get crankin' :cool: Just need my car back. Competition seasons coming quickly! Hope to see ya around at Killi this winter... I always make a big scene whenever I see another leggy lol

AND on another unrelated note, I just got my buddy Ross a sweet deal on a 05 LGT Regal Blue Sedan. Been a fun side project while mines not running. $4k with 140,XXX and a new turbo, brakes, etc. Thing runs strong i'm jealous...Too bad its a 5EAT :lol:

If you're looking for a mechanic that will do things correctly give Joey at Kale's Customs a call. I can also recommend Six Star Motors. Both are in Colchester.

Auto Creek in Vergennes also does a lot of Subaru's, but I can't personally attest to their quality of work.

Are you at Vermont Tech?

Thanks good to know! I have heard a lot of good stuff about Kales but no need any more... I have more fun doing it on my own haha.

And no i'm a senior in high school at Stafford Tech in Rutland. Got a pretty sweet Auto Tech program where the teachers cool with personal projects. So far i've rebuilt a couple 350's this year and we're throwing a new tranny in my buddys k10. Not a bad alternative to high school classes. Then college somewhere next year. Ill know where around Christmas time so thats exciting

Archived