LegacyGT.com

Official Firearm Thread V3

SBT

if you want a 1911 that works like browning intended: Buy a 5" barreled version in .45 acp with no guide rod, a 16.5lb to 18lb recoil spring, and no cast or mim parts assembled by someone who knows what they're doing.

qft.

I appreciate yesterday's comments (edit - didn't catch today's, above). I'm definitely NOT looking at 4" and shorter versions, and so far I definitely do prefer the 1911-style trigger. a 4.5-ish barrel length is a maybe. I'm not exactly hide-bound to tradition in either guns or cars.

Why would the 10mm be hard on the frame if .45/.38 Super/9x23/9x19 aren't?

Norm

Edited by Norm Peterson

Because 10mm is basically a .41 Magnum (at least at the original load specs). Much higher pressure cartridge. Some of the competition shooters are getting close with .38 super and hotter 9mm loads.

The gun will take it, but wear is greatly increased.

Went and used a gift card I had to the local gun range. Ran my P938, G19, and rented a CZ 75B SS. Man I loved the CZ. I shot it better than my G19 through 50 rounds. I know what my next gun will be.

I also fixed my fail to extract on my 10.5" SBR. I added an o-ring to the extractor spring and now it's running like a champ through 100rounds. Before I couldnt get through more than 10 and it would fail to extract completely and would jam a new round into the bore and get them both stuck.

Now I am just hoping the HPA passes. SBR's are so much louder indoor than out (first time shooting it indoor). I forgot to turn on my electric ear muffs for the first mag and my ears were ringing a little after.

Edited by Hepy117

1911's work best in .45 ACP. Period. Followed by .38 Super or 9x23 Winchester because the cartridges are long enough they don't get out of whack on the feed ramp like a 9x19 often can.

How much of this might be a consequence of 'limp-wristing'? Of thinking of the 9x19 being such a relatively light-recoiling round that a good firm grip could be relaxed a bit?

Serious question that I should have asked before.

Norm

Yup.

But a 1911/2011 that runs 9x19 like a champ is just such a sweet shooter.........

Good friend has (had?) a Harrison 2011 that ran a 2K-round count three-day class with just a drop of lube on the barrel hood on TD2. A class where multiple striker-fired guns choked because of all the dirt and dust. Not a single hitch or belch from that gun.

Edited by TSi+WRX

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Yeah, but he put lube on it. Most polymer striker fired pistol owners seem to think their Glock can magically run with no lube ever. They're morons.

Chances are if they lubed their pistols, and cleaned them once in awhile they'd have done just fine in that class.

Edited by Penguin

How much of this might be a consequence of 'limp-wristing'? Of thinking of the 9x19 being such a relatively light-recoiling round that a good firm grip could be relaxed a bit?

Serious question that I should have asked before.

Norm

Limp wristing is not the issue. The issue is you have a relatively short stubby little loaded cartridge and you're handling it from a magazine with a body long enough front to rear to handle .45 ACP. The pistol itself has a frame and magazine well made to handle .45 ACP as well. The slide reciprocates enough distance to eject and load a .45 ACP. The 9x19 cartridge in anything but a perfectly executed 1911 finds itself with a less well controlled feeding operation with the extra jump to the feed ramp, and less than ideal feeding geometry when it gets there. Resulting in failures to feed. Then you also get fun failures to eject sometimes because the ejector sits back where it would for a .45 ACP and the extractor has to control the shorter case for even longer after the front of the case clears the breech end of the barrel on extraction. If the case gets discombobulated here it will often hit the ejector in some out of whack manner and stove pipe or do some other undesirable shit like slam into the barrel hood and double feed.

All of these issues can a do happen with .45's as well, but less commonly. Well made 1911's won't have these issues, but really well made 1911's are going to cost a lot of $$$.

Yeah, but he put lube on it. Most polymer striker fired pistol owners seem to think their Glock can magically run with no lube ever. They're morons.

Chances are if they lubed their pistols, and cleaned them once in awhile they'd have done just fine in that class.

Nope. There were plenty of other students on the line who lubed their polymer striker-fired weapons as well. It really was *that* dirty. Even Doug from ATEi conceded that it was just super dirty/dusty on that range, when a student's M&P AD'ed.

You're right, there are definitely those of us who elected to not lube just to test how far the guns would go before they choked, but nope, I wasn't comparing those guys' guns to my friend's. I'm looking at equal-footing.

1911/2011s - like anything else - depends on who put it together and who maintains it. It doesn't have to be a big outfit or famous name, just as long as that person actually has good knowledge. I've seen a $450 Citadel run better than Glocks in the same class simply because the person who did the work on the former knew what he was doing and taught the shooter how to take care of the gun, while the peeps on the Glocks were the idiots that you so rightfully pointed out, Penguin. :)

Edited by TSi+WRX

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• I Donated
Learn me some 1911s. Friend has a sig 1911 that he picked up new for ~850, Ruger 1911 lists around 720. Ruger in my experience is reliable and there when you need it, but nothing special. I've got an lc9s that I carry, and my 10/22 is a hoot for what it is. I will probably be waiting a bit since I want to stock up on semi-auto rifles here in MA before Maura Healey bans those too. I'm a red blooded American, so I am required to own a 1911 at some point though.

Springfield Armory Loaded or Range Officer have very good reputations at a decent price point.

IMHO the Ruger 1911 is a very good value, and the ones I've seen on the range have run well.

I'm not a huge fan of SIG 1911s, as some of the models don't fit well in typical 1911 holsters because of the slight differences in frame/slide shape that SIG insists on.

Early Kimber Customs can be found at pretty good prices and they're good shooters as well.

A 'cheap' 1911 is kind of like a 'cheap' Porsche... it's unlikely to be cheap in the long run... better to spend a little more and get something better. All of the above should be attainable in the $600-900 range either new or used. Avoid 1911s with lots of wear... they do have parts that wear out and need to be changed with lots of rounds.

Springfield Armory Loaded or Range Officer have very good reputations at a decent price point.

IMHO the Ruger 1911 is a very good value, and the ones I've seen on the range have run well.

I'm not a huge fan of SIG 1911s, as some of the models don't fit well in typical 1911 holsters because of the slight differences in frame/slide shape that SIG insists on.

Early Kimber Customs can be found at pretty good prices and they're good shooters as well.

A 'cheap' 1911 is kind of like a 'cheap' Porsche... it's unlikely to be cheap in the long run... better to spend a little more and get something better. All of the above should be attainable in the $600-900 range either new or used. Avoid 1911s with lots of wear... they do have parts that wear out and need to be changed with lots of rounds.

If you buy a Spingfield Armory pistol before June 30th you get $180 in gear.

4 EXTRA MAGAZINES

DOUBLE MAG POUCH

HOLSTER

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

If you buy a Spingfield Armory pistol before June 30th you get $180 in gear.

4 EXTRA MAGAZINES

DOUBLE MAG POUCH

HOLSTER

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

I'm still having fun with my S&W 1911Sc. Only had issues with the aluminum Federal cases and the 10 round mag with the rounds nose diving when it was new.

Those are surprisingly good for the money. I did a simple ramp job on my buddy's and it's been 100% since.