LegacyGT.com

Grimmspeed TMIC for 5th Gen GT

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My mechanic may try to do a FMIC for me, but he has to look at car first and this is plan B in case his quote is too high.

Any reason to suspect FMIC would be better than this core?

You need to do some research. FMIC and TMIC are different beasts all together. They cannot really be compared directly because they satisfy different objectives. It depends on what your goals are and the hoops you may have to go thru to get emissions inspections, boost response, etc, among other things. According to a recent thread here, an 08+ WRX FMIC will bolt right up and 1/2 of the piping can be used. The hot side needs a little ingenuity and you will need to ditch your airbox in favor of a CAI to make room for the piping.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/5th-gen-legacy-fmic-fitment-install-254936.html

Thanks GTeaser.

I think this supports the 300hp or so i'm looking for (unless I quit IC engines altogether and get a Tesla model 3. tired of the high maintenance) Where can I buy that pretty blue pipe on page 1? Can I get there on the stock turbo?

Between the TMIC and FMIC. There is a complete difference in driving the car.

Going TMIC, you dont need to worry about anything else. Fmic is alot more headaches if you don't prevent at first. Pipes popping off, cutting bumper, losing stock airbox.

However, at the end of the day. It's all about how you will be driving the car and what mods you will be doing in the near future.

I'm happy so far with FMIC, alot more responsive. Not sure why, granted "turbo lag" isn't as bad as people say. Spools like stock, but I do notice a stronger pull.

If I didn't go with fmic, I would of bought a TMIC core and called it a day.

Thanks GTeaser.

I think this supports the 300hp or so i'm looking for (unless I quit IC engines altogether and get a Tesla model 3. tired of the high maintenance) Where can I buy that pretty blue pipe on page 1? Can I get there on the stock turbo?

I think Grimmspeed's core will support 400 hp, but don't quote me on that.

You can get the AVO silicone charge pipe here. Yes it bolts up to our turbos.

http://www.avoturboworld.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/287

Between the TMIC and FMIC. There is a complete difference in driving the car.

Going TMIC, you dont need to worry about anything else. Fmic is alot more headaches if you don't prevent at first. Pipes popping off, cutting bumper, losing stock airbox.

However, at the end of the day. It's all about how you will be driving the car and what mods you will be doing in the near future.

I'm happy so far with FMIC, alot more responsive. Not sure why, granted "turbo lag" isn't as bad as people say. Spools like stock, but I do notice a stronger pull.

If I didn't go with fmic, I would of bought a TMIC core and called it a day.

Note that many with experience or internet wisdom on the 4th gen or Impreza platform will forget where the turbo is on the 5th gen and just assume the same length of pipe runs.

That's very possible but the question is ability of the hood scoop to pass enough ambient air to it to do this job. I think final power level supported will be lower on the LGT vs. the WRX for which the cooler was developed.

Terrible things like this don't happen where I come from. Other terrible things happen instead.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I just did! Consider yourself quoted.

We know for a fact that the intercooler works very well on one of our test vehicles making a dynojet equivalent 420whp. And that it was still doing great in the 90+ deg F heat we've had the last few weeks while being pounded at the track. I think the owner of the car put it through 3 different track days in that period of time and daily driving duties. Still doing great.

Now with that said, we don't expect this IC to have noticeable issues rejecting heat until around the 600whp mark. However, without testing, this is just my very very educated guess based on our previous designs and testing.

But with that said, I know there is another big big horsepower car out there with this TMIC, but i don't know the specifics just yet ;)

Bottom line, 400whp, which is still a ton of power, is a walk in the park for this TMIC.

That's very possible but the question is ability of the hood scoop to pass enough ambient air to it to do this job. I think final power level supported will be lower on the LGT vs. the WRX for which the cooler was developed.

That certainly will be interesting to see as it is a pretty good point. The frontal area of the LGT scoop looks to be about half of the WRX scoop. However with that said, the mass of air entering either scoop while at speed (above 50-60mph) is so substantial that I would be interested to see if there really is a major difference in inlet area. Time will have to tell on that one though, quick someone start making some crazy power!

Chase

Engineering

@ Grimmspeed:

Since you mentioned a 420 hp test vehicle, you may not just leave it at that. Is this your turbo kit or something else?

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Now that guys got me started modding. What else would fit in a 1500 budget to get done before I get a tune. Charge pipe makes sense. Do I need fuel pump upgrade. Ebcs. Hope to do it myself and e tunexpected wit moderate to low know how

Too few e85 stations here. But with this tmic I will need a tune correct?

Technically you don't, and can just replace the stock TMIC with this one on whatever map you are currently running, but without a tune, you are leaving the benefits of the aftermarket TMIC on the table.

I think part of my problem is not knowing when to shift. A cobb v3 is on the way to me to hopefully help with that. It supposedly has shift indicators.

Too often I'm bogging out of first gear especially. Too low rpms I think. I may leave the tmic on the shelf a while until I figure this out

I think part of my problem is not knowing when to shift. A cobb v3 is on the way to me to hopefully help with that. It supposedly has shift indicators.

Too often I'm bogging out of first gear especially. Too low rpms I think. I may leave the tmic on the shelf a while until I figure this out

I think your problem is that the stock map sucks! It is gear dependent and only gives you 8psi of boost in 1st gear, and then 12psi in all the others. Get the AP, flash the OTS Stage1 map and enjoy all the goodness of 15psi of boost in all gears. You'll wet your pants the first time you go WOT in 1st and 2nd.

I'm kinda bad at shift points, too, since I learned to drive manual on a V8. 1st-2nd is particularly rough, since the revs drop by about half, so unless you really wind it up in 1st, 2nd is going to be a little slow at first.

You set the shift light on the AP where you want it, so it's really only as good as you are.

Now that guys got me started modding. What else would fit in a 1500 budget to get done before I get a tune. Charge pipe makes sense. Do I need fuel pump upgrade. Ebcs. Hope to do it myself and e tunexpected wit moderate to low know how

Downpipe and bpv. I didn't need a fuel pump with stage 2

Archived