LegacyGT.com

Grimmspeed TMIC for 5th Gen GT

I'm going to be that guy and revive an old thread.

For the people who installed the GS unit, did you use the TB coupler they provided, or something from Perrin/AVO? The GS TB coupler looks way too short in the pics provided on their website.

I have not installed mine yet, but I am very familiar with this. The GS TMIC has a reworked geometry for the throttle body side end tank and utilizes an 04-17 STi style 2.75" straight coupler to the throttle body. No more fighting to get the silly kinked style that we have stock clocked correctly to fit the TMIC. The GS coupler is a straight shot, super easy to align the TMIC. So yes, use the one supplied with the GS TMIC, our stock style will not work with the GS intercooler.

And don't feel awkward reviving old threads to get good info.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Use the GS coupler. Part of the reason the GS TMIC design is so awesome is that the angle and length of the outlet makes the need for a long coupler pointless. Compare the pics of the GS TMIC with the OEM one. When I installed it, I was extremely pleased at how easy it was to get the coupler on the TB and TMIC, AND that it didn't need to be oriented in any specific angle

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Well since it has been revived I always wondered if upgrading the intercooler would do anything for a stage 1 tune or is it a waste unless you go stage 2? Sorry if this has already been answered and I didn't see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my research, I found dynos somewhere that showed a 20 ft-lb increase almost everywhere in the rev range, with less of an increase up top. I decided that since I'm in Phoenix and have to live with 100+ degree temps for nine months out of the year.

IMO it would do something, but probably not aas much as a good tuner and/or a downpipe.

The better the intercooler works, the more timing that the tuner can keep in during boost which equates to more power, regardless of S1 or S2 tune.

Yes, but to a limited extent. You get more time in boost before the cooler is heat soaked and performance suffers due to decreased charge density. The 5th gen's intercooling Achilles heel is the short hood scoop which limits the amount of ambient air that can flow through the core. You can make the most efficient core in the world but if you give it restricted ambient air to reject heat into you still end up with poor cooling.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• 1 month later...
Not on our cars Jorge, but yes on a 2015+ WRX. My brother is switching from dispersion coated RacerX to a dispersion coated GS.

Just curious if you had any numbers from switching. I was considering FMIC but after reading of the possible safety/insurance issues, I'm leaning more towards this if there is a noticeable difference.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

The charge pipe won't work. The WRX turbo is different.

To my knowledge there isn't a charge pipe option for our cars currently; you'd have to fab one up yourself.

EDIT: Whoops, yep as Zee mentioned there is the AVO charge pipe, but I think i recall hearing that the fitment is not great.

There is the AVO silicon CP that is available for the 5th gen

Which has poor fitment (I know, I have one - see the first post in this thread). Yes, squeezing past the fan sucks (but isn't a big deal).

The fitment between the BPV and intake-turbo-exit, however, sucks. In fact, I just bought a 45 degree silicon hose to relieve some hose strain down that was introduced to get the AVO CP to fit. Probably will do a write up when I get around to doing it.

BUT IT LOOKS SO COOL! FAST AND EVEN FURIOUS-er-er!

Maybe if I watch might car mods enough I will grow a big enough pair to mod my hood...probably not though!

Why not? The big scoops like the Corazon bolt straight on in place of the OE scoop opening? Looks to be a painless easy install after paint matching?

Fahr_side, having read about your findings here and in the stickied thread, do you have any experience with the big scoops? Will they aid intercooler cooling enough to be worth the hassle of sourcing them from the JDM market?

Why not? The big scoops like the Corazon bolt straight on in place of the OE scoop opening? Looks to be a painless easy install after paint matching?

Fahr_side, having read about your findings here and in the stickied thread, do you have any experience with the big scoops? Will they aid intercooler cooling enough to be worth the hassle of sourcing them from the JDM market?

Any bolt on scoop leaves the small factory opening for air to get through. Which isn't going to make much difference if any. Look at how big the sti opening is for comparison.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You can bolt directly in, but it doesn't sit right . Most big scoops are made for JDM hoods and they have less curvature in the front, jdm is almost square whereas ours is rounded. so there is a little modifying to get it to sit right.

Thanks, all, for the scoop on those scoops! I've been considering them, but if they dont do anything, no thanks.

Yeah the STI openings are gaping, not like our mail slots!

I just found out there are two guys near me who do custom CF work and I am thinking of getting a hood made. Our hoods are all steel (I checked with a magnet), and heavy. And of course it needs a bigger scoop, and I'd like small vents also to let out some underhood heat.

Probably a long ways off though, I'm still gathering parts for stage 2 and a hood will be after all that, if ever. It's fun imagining stuff to put on though. :)

• 9 months later...

Archived