LegacyGT.com

Colonel Red Racing 2005 STI Race Car

Sgt.Gator

Wishing I could understand Japanese!

This engine for the 2018 BRZ 300GT looks incredible:

The Car:

Edited by Sgt.Gator

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

Another great video from Driver 61, and he demos using the VBOX Racelogic system I bought last summer, a bonus.

How to Use Data Logging: An Introduction (Motorsport)

Making some progress on the 818R. Cage mods done:

y4mzxSQIJcEvQy2N9hvInFFx_A4PX5kXmXL5oUi8yHyj2QVkoFYkBU0mNZ48Vp2bvyC63QzZg8aAq_E0Su9blmqXuyohRviBl89TxDUK7NBbEulugDY9AcTkHuZeaioyhF551f_X8CC-HI_vsEuyn3EY6FN55vlCGBYdruBIjA8bmSrTmv-bbiBA0TRzfAwXZtW-6A9pCBw1CbIePSEqWe_wQ?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none

Easy to work on the engine and tranny when you take the rear fenders and bumper off. Spark plugs are no problem!

y4mSqq5PaPAjDR1SWt2VBoq1aseGbeTqbme2RbUvbznV6Wr6a5D0FLhHri0_lL39lEVXp77_4o6AF1DLQWFGgPsLr9ObcsRgd8EkNLygWCmGosFOKrtEwCKAI2tn84FLBzF3L7aWiTM0zTJMuYYezhE9pPk1D5hsx7GMIbSX4Mk7hIyUpc1DywFsZb2n8yi3ZAx4DVfYhD2dVoRIfH-bktTBw?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none

Working on the Dry Sump system this weekend.

Edited by Sgt.Gator

Another great video from Driver 61, and he demos using the VBOX Racelogic system I bought last summer, a bonus.

How to Use Data Logging: An Introduction (Motorsport)

way too much data for my feeble mind, but I absolutely understand how a driver can use it to improve lap times.

hats off to the guys that dig into the car like you or some of the guys on this forum who do all of the work on their cars and take them racing (especially chris and rodan with their miatas). It takes an unbelievable amount of time and dedication.

what is the flexible pipe that goes to the side, connects to a hard pipe and then back to a flexible pipe into the trunk area?

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

way too much data for my feeble mind, but I absolutely understand how a driver can use it to improve lap times.

hats off to the guys that dig into the car like you or some of the guys on this forum who do all of the work on their cars and take them racing (especially chris and rodan with their miatas). It takes an unbelievable amount of time and dedication.

what is the flexible pipe that goes to the side, connects to a hard pipe and then back to a flexible pipe into the trunk area?

I think you're giving us more credit than we deserve:lol: We just do track days and Rodan does far more than I do. I basically do 1 maybe 2 a year.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Looks like the one on the driver's side runs to right around where the water pump should be, so I'm guessing coolant to and from a front-mounted radiator. Upon further inspection of one of the older pictures, the flexy-pipe makes another appearance by the radiator, so I'm sticking with that guess. Last big picture in post #614, you can see two sections loop down toward the bottom of the radiator.

Out of curiosity, though, why flexy-pipe instead of heater hose? That based on availability, or durability?

The flexi pipes are Factory Five supplied parts to connect the radiator. They make for lots of flexibility in how you route your lines. When you're building the car yourself from a kit you have a thousand ways you can do things to fit your exact setup. Some builders opt to tig up their own solid pipes and a couple of vendors supply solid pipes.

• 3 weeks later...

Surgeline is putting the Sake Bomber back together and running into some issues (no surprise!) with damage that wasn't noticed before:

1) The turbo coolant line split from the heat of the turbo exhaust housing. The line was covered with DEI wrap but apparently, that wasn't enough heat protection for racing. So not only was I losing coolant thru the cracked reservoir neck but here too. The fix will be a real -AN line and fittings instead of the rubber line, and covering it with the heat protection again.

2) The dry sump pump must have ingested some sizeable chunks of debris, most likely the piston ring that was gone. Of course, this is the Cosworth pump, the one they don't sell anymore and I'm not sure I can even get parts. Certainly not easily on short notice. So we'll switch out for an Aviaid pump, I have a spare Aviaid pump just for this, and luckily the dry sump pump is easily repairable, they supply all the parts. "While the reliability of Aviaid Series 1 pumps is near-legendary, there are situations where particles are ingested into the pump and cause damage." Yes, that does happen! I'll have t find out about getting the Cosworth parts.

3) The oil pump had damage too. So a new JDM 12mm pump is on the way.

4) Since the oil pump and the dry sump pump both have damage all the -AN lines have to be thoroughly flushed.

5) The Derale cooler in the trunk probably has debris in it that can't be flushed out and would blow the new engine when it eventually dislodges, so a new Derale 40 row cooler is on the way.

1929292881_TurboCoolantLineSplit.jpg.fdffe178850e944a8f9732899813bb09.jpg

112402408_DrySumpPumpDamage1.jpg.b01fd1e44a999c4418dca0e39bdff131.jpg

453531802_DrySumpPumpDamage2.jpg.663439913fe29e4b4b8dc1419770ac31.jpg

1746165435_DrySumpPumpDamage3.jpg.a2fbc884800f6f1f3d2aca1a1036446f.jpg

Edited by Sgt.Gator

Updates:

The STI is coming together, but slowly. The engine is back in the car but we keep running into little issues with switching from the Cossie DS system to an Aviaid based one. Small parts that are "big" enough to stop the process until they are installed.

The 818R is starting to tig up the FMIC.

And the Palatov D4 engine and tranny are at M-Tech being torn down and refreshed. I should know very soon what needs to be done there. I've sent the stator to Rick's Motorsport Electric to be rewound as a 40amp and ordered one of their rectifiers.

There's a great article at Engine Labs comparing different fuels. It's a 5 part article and the final installment just came out:

http://cdn.speednik.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2017/11/the-big-fuel-test-part-5-e85-vs-all-a-winner-is-crowned-0005.png

http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/dyno-testing/big-fuel-test-part-5-e85-versus-winner-crowned/

For my purposes, 92 pump + Boostane is the most bang for my $.

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress on the 818R, roughing in the DS Tank, DS overflow, and Oil Cooler:

y4m1CJftL4DH3JSyiFpLlzm87g5G1Y3iz5sp_n7ZsrKxhEyKv0hTVTjQsiroFyb1SwzlBDzgFhxVmXeUJWeBqkvVd5B7yWJR7DRmx6WkmN24cuwppXVUh9iBYG4AoloGkQl6m_9vFf18IpTRuo9GDkuzgxH0QaD0tVvGnQIZiE6sauOvhkIF4dG3tzn35NfaMBXkOtw80dLWgRYeOYY2I1NHQ?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none..y4mJ00GWXKrR_s8DzkzTqOg2opztjNXHnvhla6qRUu1rf3nDvWTwwzadeJ5uTQEaRLeB1mi3PHf_By9ea8ygQspiSLnojcurYkjdkITH__HleBMOzkqXdWCOHrYc7_lmNojNMfuJSPr6ZZUM0ESN4T3jb4qwLA33Ucnkqh8ET1FnuCQzlrSEDa6jDNp3eeA8nSwt03wkPDlhJ56bdU5L1FOjg?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none..y4mddWPoehwrVNVAa8gQ19CLmBv7oGN2S-EyEB5PcsBWutE0JIJVedQvL-3VJ2I5XAKDNCzgg9U_aZyjTc1CyBucCZzJ66IH0P1os5lwkbZS20Pj3vvbIiaV-WIrBTxcK-M2zWaG00uwHADlcrAED8726xhTfZ1_YAPIjzOO25ZlDFm-adx0UXeYA9P1IZzUVLtmQwlML1okhB9xDvV4wEneA?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none

The cooler is a puller, so it will suck cool air down thru a ducted vent in the trunk lid, thru the cooler, and blow it across the top of the tranny.

I really like the Aviaid tank, for the money I think it's a much better deal than a Peterson.

• 2 weeks later...

The FMIC work is coming along on the 818R.

y4mTlO8RTphvwg_kn98ZSmJxx_sAAfzngItw3zvefUv3jo9oWRZu7e6eR7G2pN7CafcQ6dThcgkdHtZITreyP2w0xs-gf3wnrBlnAjVFsBj_NvKG8z4-ETMwaAc4eRfHf6ZrJk3XnPsPZ39-788kqPUJim46z0VTWSOUk43KELAwlKss18oxRaMaIuseg6XS5zWpqau7q4Yl3lsNbNkGtjKfA?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none

The Blue Sake Bomber should be going on the dyno at Surgeline today/tomorrow for it's break in tune. Then IF everything goes ok I'll take it to ORP on Sunday for a break in session. Then IF that goes ok back to Surgeline for the race tunes on Thursday or Friday, and racing Saturday at PIR. I'll probably just do the Mini Enduro on Saturday.

Outfront keeps coming up with small but very crucial little things:

https://www.outfrontmotorsports.com/turbo-oiling/