LegacyGT.com

Colonel Red Racing 2005 STI Race Car

Sgt.Gator

Oh man those 225/45/15s are tempting.

Remember these were made for the endurance race series, so they won't be any faster than a A7 or R7, but they will last longer.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

• 2 weeks later...

A strange twist to the story, and one that is positive (for once! :)):

There appears to be nothing wrong with the Blue Sake Bomber!

I may have been needlessly freaked out about the STI. Before tearing into it we went over everything and so far I think I was wrong about the head gaskets or block threads.

First we looked at the oil, it's fine. No indication of coolant in the oil.

Then on looking in the overflow tank there is just the tiniest indication of oil on the surface, and the water is discolored. But it's not a chocolate milkshake. So we started the engine, ran it for a couple of minutes, then used a UView 560000 C02 tester. The liquid stayed a perfect blue. So we ran the engine up above normal temps and repeated the C02 test. Still nothing! I tested the burp tank on top and the overflow tank next to the radiator, nothing. I blew into my hand and checked my breath, instantly the liquid changed color so I know the tester is working.

While warming up the engine we noticed the vac line from the Tial BOV had come off the intake manifold, which no doubt was the cause of the CEL P0171 Extreme Fuel Trim code it threw.

In thinking about it, I was probably seeing a bit of residual lubricants from when the engine was rebuilt that had worked their way thru the passages and were floating on top of the overflow tank. That, the CEL, and and the 15 minutes of boiling in the tank had me convinced there was a major issue. I still don't understand the boiling in the overflow tank though. In looking thru several threads on NASIOC this symptom is reported and always caused by a air bubble in the coolant system. Continued burping fixes it.

To continue, we did a leakdown test, that was fine too. So we can't find any damage that will need to be repaired. Fingers crossed!

Josh at ArcFlash is extending the EWG dump tube farther back so I don't get exhaust fumes in the cabin. Then he'll do a coolant flush and vacuum coolant fill.

Saturday I'm instructing at ORP for a wedding. I'll be there to help wedding guests navigate their cars around the track. Now that's my kind of wedding!!! I'll have the Blue Sake bomber with me and will knock out a bunch of fast laps, log them, and see how it goes. Then there's a few ORP Club days for more testing. The next race suitable for the BSB is August 18-19 at Portland International. There's a race at Mission in Abbotsford BC but that's a tough course for heavy cars like the STI, and I'm going to miss another race at Pacific for my nephew's wedding.

On the one hand I'm mad I missed two sets of races that might have clinched the NW Endurance Championship for us. On the other hand I'm relieved it's not another $10K down the tube and a missed racing season entirely! I've ignored warning signs of impending engine failure in the past so maybe I overreacted. I guess it's all part of the racing experience!

In thinking about it, I was probably seeing a bit of residual lubricants from when the engine was rebuilt that had worked their way thru the passages and were floating on top of the overflow tank. That, the CEL, and and the 15 minutes of boiling in the tank had me convinced there was a major issue. I still don't understand the boiling in the overflow tank though. In looking thru several threads on NASIOC this symptom is reported and always caused by a air bubble in the coolant system. Continued burping fixes it.

All of this. Great learning moment.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

So...Rose Cup as a driver?

No, there's no class any of my cars fit in this year.

Heading up to ORP in the morning to be an instructor for the wedding i mentioned. I have the STI with me for some free testing.

Josh extended the EWG all the way back past the resonator. This should solve the exhaust fumes in the cockpit problem. He did a really nice job, adding a flex connection on the down part of the tube, a slip joint, and two tabs to secure it to the main exhaust:

y4mZwortr4TJqYDIQeMaxgz9rn9knk5Vi8ccac96rRyUXovMhSgbnOzDz3ZyDjm6PbNwoev54Z4f943aSI3OIRyQ1maYLtV2WYQhG2UIE4VCVN3XLAFaPj0AjcSFXfT2pTcXQbetJu1YMi498nabohDcswjQRdScay4QS17ngmEQeXmqqnst8OGiBrPKRSg1qJ8KvfevXSfslujlRpBD9Uvdw?width=864&height=1152&cropmode=none..y4mOK8ngc5oyO3CTarjpbF7mCB3dC0boGeihuMsRz0uVen5k8pyPhI9LgOK8WWqtHWfVKrQuh9timxltUT7NJJ9gqeEienPOXshlnwAIfomoMGX1MDFNYBEOWmCijUA2CKy0OEWRPv-2FpObvSXRAGHWDhVvadU_NwZcci2jRORdeGQP95h3NhIYgwwPhrQ8SHNXcsYZjea0nZTp2xV2wq2pA?width=864&height=1024&cropmode=none

I had a couple of great sessions at ORP!

Coolant was fine, minimal burbling in the overflow tank.

The EWG was nice, much quieter back there. I still had exhaust fumes in the cabin until I realized it was the Moroso Vented Catch Can off the DS tank in the trunk coming back into the cabin. I turned on the trunk exhaust fans and the problem went away. Better will be to relocate the filter on top of the catch can to a hose that exits far under the car. That will reduce heat in the trunk too.

The best part was the last session was myself and another Conference racer in his Spec E-46. We played lead/follow for 30 minutes. The STI was clearly at least 2 seconds a lap faster then the Spec E46, at least when I'm running 20PSI boost!

Back to ORP for a Club day tomorrow evening (Sunday) The track goes hot at 3:30 to 6:00 PM, then dinner break. Back on track till 11 PM under the moonlight!

:):):):):):):):):)

It was a great weekend driving wedding guests around the track on Saturday. Most of them were Oregon State University ME graduates, many of whom were on the OSU FSAE team, so they had a real appreciation of the vehicle dynamics.

Sunday I went back for the night race practice. We may form a Club ORP Endurance Race Team so we wanted to get some 24 hour night time practice in. Here's one lap in the Blue Sake Bomber at night:

Got a little confused there until I noticed you were driving the short course :) you need more lights!

The BSB will probably not be the car we use in the race. It will be a Chump car or Star Projects race. The idea was for all of us to get some practice on the short course at night. I promptly spun off the course on the first lap!

Shralp and I had a great day at the Pirelli World Challenge. Here's something I never thought I'd see, five Subaru Pro Road Race Cars at the same place and time! And then they won 1-2 in the TCA class. Nice work TechSport Racing!!

y4mdND0mgOwaOoxyzRWQUhVCHJ8WPi56zZv1l1A3i3E-gyqLJggb8lSvCEYIWa0-o3Fhdp5ie5kOHFYkTLNb-WqbvJXuNvZ7xZXR3ClPXAcp2RttVQFdRJmkgwt9IeKiuf1SpHr97xdnEh8dCOL9CMMbfF5tzVIiJQU3pshU2KGeI2FbJw8AqXk_PsZdjHrY7HpCvtiyuihmc7G47TZSj-T7Q?width=1152&height=304&cropmode=none

y4mfNJypPv9tjlJcySDel9t9v7Kxh_7eWHkBflsh4FD0lZ_8IqRqZal0-Xa8skH6kIKMMZTHGksaB4J22krrGJepusmV-XQFbEeeVgfve3ok_YUT7FDWc4bJrL7IqE-S2zKThmh4VN6M3CxNB_Ne7pRE0GV5a1DaIof6s6ru4ZCefqHlkjy2-UnWvlBRTQj9Uk2Uer1HDBJsiSxmWR_wYumEw?width=1152&height=418&cropmode=none

y4m5lsVyCoISoz2apdWhy182tje5i89L3OQ78hF44n8jXXIbmkjs5g0X-wGcYhbCKyQ1G5T4Uca4_9f26kvsag6kwkNnGhBACMceEeKAXnhQzhIFqvYhS9yHBdL0yKQ3TfRZ5T547aw8-Mtv0i3LNM2uQBwOAa6hZkk3GGxuu6-R6D4nUsBk4kc8-arosMaKAPMkqG9xs_5VPZm9sjiju_4fQ?width=540&height=720&cropmode=none

Shralp tries on one for his competition test fit:

y4mZwa13HAV2cPZzcDjuyua2g_C8bGNDV87vbSiNzdKX8GC8O6x1rL0xp3JNUK1rDY_CYgknQ78i-nSTye9uaDBHDAelTAG_CB3ElW2ZuYXeuhaQhv5jDOYriwfy2lgo3tox0ld7Mc-WG2Q8Kt8Xt0HXaKtNMyK33K1K-aGpVOFHPfaUR5-PhNXWhxN6ISoXj_ief2rN3sTVelfUcMERC_zmA?width=960&height=720&cropmode=none

They were running 1:27-and 1:28 best laps. Pretty close to stock. Intake, exhaust, oil cooler...you can buy one here: http://techsportracing.com/product-category/pirelli-world-challenge-subaru-brz-tca/

y4mOjoW9PwHfSNreJDUla_VnXCZQXNATAvAcSV3FHVyX7UrFpTWiMsYwth9HV3I0IgrpDTUtGmSlnD0EBMzB8_VPwsjWpHZeDDGs2rcM9ruG5zP15FTcSxM-xj9-n3hYh9dMzp1BWrw8dCR7gTJwZGjpxbb68MyfL6Ah-QRI2OWopzjOJtcVGyovqFJ3RKE34uIEkYDAIYQ4nXS4tlAtBawZw?width=1152&height=527&cropmode=none

Sitting in that BRZ made me want a legit drivers seat in the GT wagon!

I drove Kip's wagon at the Ridge and it has a race seat. Not fighting to stay in the seat going around the corners was so much easier. So worth the investment.

I have the Sparco seat from my Spec Miata if you want to start off cheap...

Sitting in that BRZ made me want a legit drivers seat in the GT wagon!

And a cage, and fire bottle, and harnesses! IMHO, your going too fast, with too many non oem mods, for your safety setup.

Makes sense that you broke your your collar bone twice in 10 weeks skateboarding.......;)

Edited by Sgt.Gator

The Hyundai TCR class cars were pretty cool and very fast! They are way more developed than the TCA class cars like the above BRZs. Both classes run in the same race but the Hyundai cars lapped the first place TCA BRZ three times in one hour.

Boxkita, note how the wing is attached to the rear hatch, this makes it still openable:

y4m-1vmTAouLyDBfC7wKmQEeStV_qcyHaatGq8zlwgrd_7kqqXqaLrEd2pL5YKTzQn2khM4Rriix9g4W9XLxFX90YLe75itjIjfCrbwcNZymOb2rT1sNdZRjgrYguLxptKKGfzJ_8wxYsNOS3vnZIWAv-Tl3nEN4dXuDxqMTKf_-0v-Y0xKBWsOam92du9b3RY9qLMqt_yMM9hdex-UVeDbrw?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none..y4m4OGoOM0EHsdfnwvmi41DQ79fxF1XVdZd0gysD5t2PO1_sYUiTqt4F3fLaB2di-28qGazRRVlwatcVJ4RYaOInBi60JTqDU9zlTXhBo5m1JftVU4vgqKGF30zfHO8Tzl_QH1PW4pQaOZ5TMyOize7cBWelA6vQ3bFYDHxWbAslnNuWFVPsZfSzBAaecc1O8lzD-JcPJSTN9cnAkCLpIYjlw?width=768&height=1024&cropmode=none..y4m-pKl1GI7PqMQew4XPanKgF-Xfvv5WMpWQHAFtaTYQctoYgpTRf0P-shAhux9PkER_5vdWMO3y7n8gEYrubPNqAuF9BZhUvml2dO6ocj4wkYp5mi48QIUbUhMQ6movZhAOPz8LljMhx3aXZGrSvXe08uJU4aG_8jJe0OsJP6l6DJJXBf5eMkx8muzivVFXVa2hsLbDf-84h8i_iE_UksPnw?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none

And moving around to the front what do I see on the intercooler piping? Murray Constant Tension Turbo Seal Clamps!

y4mxS9z4phgFxbDJhSOkNOrTW71tGl6sTa_wq4Y5sNMaQGNREyWzKAtAcPkNsjjdWN8AXmQzwCN30IKiQnSPAM9VWOiTiaQ5vUxtR1GFeRtq2mf9RgL1utzaBRnHu7qAncXeB2WXiZwMlZjKI8iE5cY05WUN9xr1hw8Crm1T-x8F1ha6GdIcsz17saGG3i23mU0ll-K_rlLGlbF57hCbE6GOQ?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none..y4mKIsdgPndEXXnFv0i4AB7ESOVlF3ZnbpFa4n_5g338Qosa3amX73zsyaxh2_n43tOTTMtFq1Ew61cH3ui9LFIN4aCK49Oxqi01DJXUt3vmwp0wQvhcapXx7i1YKNTbwk5hIt3UOrTXn-W92mDPGzLgiKBME-D1shnHQnJxU_Ey23JbQvt9DsgAy7o8nYEYRxRlVZQ0bcCfQItwkLALM8r0Q?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none

You know you want them...

• 2 weeks later...

Came across this in the PRI magazine. It might have saved me a lot of money the last five years!

Gill 4212 Oil Contamination Sensor:

https://www.gillsc.com/products/condition-sensors/4212-oil-condition-sensor/

Video: https://www.gillsc.com/applications/magnetic-ferrous-sensing/

KA Sensors makes a similar one too: http://www.kasensors.com/us/products/condition-monitoring-sensors

Edited by Sgt.Gator

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I set up the tent and the STI at the Big NW Subaru Meet at Portland International Raceway Sunday. The crowd was large, in the thousands, and most of them came by to take a close look at the Subaru of Bend / Colonel Red Racing STI. I spent hours answering questions and talking Subaru geek talk with the enthusiasts.

I'll be there were at least 500 people who took pictures of the car, from multiple angles!

A few spectators commented that it was great to see local dealer support for the race car. They actually said they would consider an internet sale from SoB the next time they replace their car because of it.

Subaru America and STI had impressive displays, along with Tier 1 vendors like Cobb, Surgeline, Perrin, and IAG. AVO Turbo World even came up from Australia.

1696463750_BigNWSubarumeet2018b.thumb.jpg.47db921cb31533e168fdb8f3ae818423.jpg

240485526_BigNWSubarumeet2018c.thumb.jpg.666c035e1d10821bca2379f34127eb57.jpg

1726960725_BigNWSubarumeet2018d.thumb.jpg.2b81db453ea470641af9349908a6a7c4.jpg

1496761808_BigNWSubarumeet2018e.thumb.jpg.e11344a24519e6bb3e82c6375c4abe38.jpg