LegacyGT.com

Colonel Red Racing 2005 STI Race Car

Sgt.Gator

There's a pro3 for sale in Gig Harbor. They are offering deals. Put a subie badge on it, no one will know.

< 2000 Lbs ?

Tube Frame designed race car?

Not a qualifier. I'm down to Palatov and Radical SR3.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

Exocet race chassis?

The Exocet Race fits the bill too. One with a LS-6 dry sump would be insanely fast if you can keep it going in a straight line at full throttle. However like an 818R, they are challenged suspension wise by being designed around a production car suspension, so there are compromises that a Radical and Palatov don't have.

An 818R, Exocet, or Type 65 are also expensive to build up from a kit no matter what the marketing brochures say. I priced out a Type 65 and a 818R (with a turbo), when I got to $65K just in parts I gave up. I haven't priced an Exocet yet but I bet it would be $50K at least.

Thanks, I'd forgotten about the Exocet, I'll look at it more closely!

A great deal of the problem is that neither a Miata powered Exocet or a SOHC NA 818R have a class to run in the NW. NASA ST4 would work but NASA folded shop here. I'd have to go to Thunderhill and Sonoma to race NASA. Thunderhill is viable, it's the same drive time for me as Pacific/The Ridge/ and Spokane. Sonoma and Laguna Seca would be a real bear.

Those cars don't fit in any ICSCC or SCCA classes and be competitive.

Edited by Sgt.Gator

Ariel Atom time?

I've followed Ariel Atoms closely since they were originally imported/sold in the US by Brammo outside Medford Oregon.

Once they sold to the guys at VIR and the Atom spec racer came out it got a quick following. Since then the race series has dropped off in participation. Many drivers consider it to be squirrely and a handful to drive at race speeds. The real issue for me is there is no Atom race series on the west coast, and the car is not competitive in any of the classes it could fit in outside the spec Atom series.

I forgot to mention the NP01 is also a winner on the list. Last year at PRI I sat in both the NP01 and the Superlite Aero. The Aero would be lots faster, as in LMP2 speeds. And probably just as or more reliable than any car mentioned so far because it runs a detuned Katech sealed LS3. But in every other category the NP01 would be a better racer. It's extremely well designed from the ground up to be a race car. Unlike the Aero it has room for a cool suit cooler and plenty of headroom for me (I'm 6'3").

Also the Aero seems to be having production delays, there should be a dozen of them on the track by now but so far there's only one and nobody is talking about track results.

There are quite a few NP01s in California racing in the NPO1 NASA spec series and I could race it in the NW in probably a couple of classes.

As Boxkita can attest, any car that can run the Thunderhill25 on ONE set of tires is awesomeness!

I've made a deal on the Palatov D4 original test mule car. This year it wil run in DSR sprints and MSR Enduros in Conference. Next year with a few mods I should also be able to run in SPU.

It won't be ready with the Sasquatch mods needed to make me fit, so first race will either be Mission in BC or The Ridge.

I am also getting a new block for the STI from Dave at Rallispec, but that will take a few weeks to a couple of months before it's ready to race.

The tow rig should give you an idea of the size of the race car!

20170416_115359_HDR.thumb.jpg.97b3e42fd3f960ab75fe72f6eaa81942.jpg

dp4071.jpg.550b68fccdbd4d4db55501ba7dc92305.jpg

20150221_122827.thumb.jpg.a6a236c96ef71887bebebcde9c7863db.jpg

20150221_123218.thumb.jpg.96f40b32af299c87bd52d7e38b46343a.jpg

Edited by Sgt.Gator

Downforce!!!!!!!!!!

it's not a small racecar, it's a large gokart!

dp4069.jpg.24754c304e0e67c443f583c17ab303cc.jpg

d4126.jpg.fca24636e41657ad729f02e3a7740958.jpg

d4125.jpg.428e801acbfc1401c77289aeec7ff880.jpg

It's not often you see a car that makes a Miata look huge!

20170614_144459.thumb.jpg.c6d893019f85cc253b1ac876793df9df.jpg

20170614_144343.thumb.jpg.99563a96263baa41129c787b4154adcf.jpg

20170614_144441.thumb.jpg.ef1fdf4d33c9c84940e2d34094905da7.jpg

I forgot to mention, the D4 will be available for rent at Oregon Raceway Park. By the lap, the hour, or the day.

PM me for details if you're seriously interested in driving it.

I'd never, ever rent that. If I drag home another race car, I'm going to get papers. So...by the hour, huh? :wub:

Yep. 900 lbs dry. 150ish RWHP. Sequential shift. 2.5Gs. Renters will have to pre-qualify with a competition license or a lot of HPDE time.

The other issue is that about 1/3 of customers who've tried in the past can't get in the cockpit....waist widths. I'll have to come up with a max waist and shoulder size so no one comes all the way out but can't get in.

I'm considering adding a couple of other cars to the rental program too. I have CRR assets that need to produce income or I have to sell them.

Want to drive a almost stock C6 Z06 at ORP? Subaru STI race car?

:)

To get an idea of the Palatov's potential in the right hands:

Here's the Official ORP lap records in ICSCC racing : http://www.teamcontinental.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/ORP-Race-Lap-Records-Clockwise.pdf

Here's a video of the my D4 being driven by a pro, but CCW; Note the unofficial lap time.

How much would you pay to rent this car for an hour? ;)

• Moderators

So now you have this insanely fast, purpose-built race kart.

Serious question, and I seriously don't know the answer--are you in any way qualified / experienced to drive a car like that?

I'm sure that I would do better "in class" in something like a '97 camry. Sure my lap times would be faster in a ferarri, but against other ferarri's I would be bottom tier, where as in the camry I would probably do pretty well compared to others driving camry's.

Does that make sense? I guess I'm just wondering what the racing "pedigree" is here that warrants a jump from turbo subaru to race kart (or whatever that thing is called!!!). Maybe I missed it throughout the thread here and I'm trying to catch up, but I thought you were ex-cop gone racer with subaru stuff and now race kart? :confused:

**that youtube vid looks faster than shit!

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Good question BarManBean.

The D4 can be driven by an amateur racer safely. Typical times for a club level racer in the D4 are around 1:51 to 1:53 at ORP, a mile from the pro time of 1:39. The main difference is amateur racers typically don't push the G limits it's capable of because your mind is telling you it's not possible to go any faster around the corner, when it actually is, you just have to make the "leap of faith" that it will. Most people don't make the leap. I may find I'm one of them.

Your synopsis of "ex-cop gone racer with subaru stuff:" is not quite right.

Besides autox for a few years I've driven the Skip Barber Formula cars in their 3 day race school at Laguna Seca. The Skip Barber MX5 Mazda Cup Pro cars in their 2 day Advanced school at Laguna Seca. The Ron Fellows Advanced Corvette Racing school at Spring Mountain. I still 1/2 own and race a 1990 Acura Integra in Honda Touring. I HPDE my own 2009 Corvette Z06 (505 HP). And yes the Subaru LGT Wagon and now the STI.

Of all these the Formula Skip Barber car would be the closest to the D4 in terms of open cockpit, fitting my body, vehicle weight, and handling characteristics. So it's kind of a getting back to my first race car roots.

http://skipbarber.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/formulaskipbarbervehiclespecsv4.jpg

And a pile of patrol cars in high speed pursuits and code 3 runs and professional skid training in everything from Dodges, Fords, Chevrolet. Doing 120 mph on Columbia Blvd in Portland chasing armed robbers is the real definition of insanely fast. If you've never done skid car training it's great stuff, they have it at lots of tracks now.

Back to your question, I'm sure I'll be like all new amateurs in the D4 with times in the 2:00 min, then 1:55 the first few times on track. Eventually I should get into the mid 1:40s. But knowing there is a 1:39 there gives me a learning goal to keep growing my skills towards.

And one last comment: It's not a kart! the correct definition would be Sports Racer, a DSR to be exact. Or what SCCA now calls P1 and P2. Although there have been a few racers in our conference who have converted DSR cars to SPM cars, which opens up that possibility too.

Here's the PDF Brochure: http://palatov.com/documents/D4_Brochure.pdf

formulaskipbarbervehiclespecsv4.thumb.jpg.d2513e64daf9eae749a98353e0e036a9.jpg

Edited by Sgt.Gator

Sgt.Gator in a race car that doesn't puke parts every other day will let him focus on pushing his driving limits vs mechanical skills. Once you're confident about your car, it's a lot easier to push the braking point a few more feet, carry more speed in a corner, etc.

However, at a certain point, you reach the limits of your belief in your immortality. Pushing beyond that limit, is where you find your ext big drop in lap time. Or you upgrade from street car to race car.

Looking forward to track videos

2017 Prodrive Type RA STI Nurburgring car sorted and ready for the record attempt. That's not a TMIC, it's the Air filter intake.

Notice the Murray Constant Tension Clamps!

Available at http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing :)

20108478_1806289066067725_1831390376071070624_n.jpg?oh=29597ca0f6d035c591f54e99c143560d&oe=59C53FA7

717400370_2017ProdriveNurburgringSTI.thumb.jpg.cc8afc8d28807ece7e5fd29b1fa49057.jpg