LegacyGT.com

Seized engine or rod?

The all mighty max capacity has given me great info, as he always does with everyone and my recent turbo problems. The budget is very limited until i win the lottery or mcdonalds monopoly cash prizes. Lol. I wouldn't mind the ej257. But rebuilding seems to be my only option, unless one of these junkyards has a cheap longblock in mint condition.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The all mighty max capacity has given me great info, as he always does with everyone and my recent turbo problems. The budget is very limited until i win the lottery or mcdonalds monopoly cash prizes. Lol. I wouldn't mind the ej257. But rebuilding seems to be my only option, unless one of these junkyards has a cheap longblock in mint condition.

Car-parts.com will be your best search for motors.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Talk to a local machine shop and see what they say. They should measure your cylinders and then match the pistons to each hole.

You may want a new oil cooler too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Kind of sad to see an 11 year old car with only 107k miles need a new engine already. But guess i kinda deserve it.

Why do you deserve it? Unless you were beating on an already hurt car...

So you blew your turbo, and drove on it for a little bit (oops), then replaced the turbo. Then you continued to beat on it ("Was running the car pretty hard for about 5-10 minutes"), which sped up the already inevitable death of that motor. Expensive lesson to learn.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Why do you deserve it? Unless you were beating on an already hurt car...

So you blew your turbo, and drove on it for a little bit (oops), then replaced the turbo. Then you continued to beat on it ("Was running the car pretty hard for about 5-10 minutes"), which sped up the already inevitable death of that motor. Expensive lesson to learn.

Turbo blew back in december. Took it to a mechanic, he said wasn't the turbo. Got the car back and it ended up being the turbo. Took to another mechanic, and he replaced the turbo. Drove 100 miles on that turbo and it blew. Turns out the banjo bolt filter was restricting oil to both the turbo and cams. Removed the filter and bebuilt the turbo. Oil has been changed 3-4 times since then. Also put 1500miles on the engine since i fixed it. Comes to the other night where i was riding in 5th gear the whole time between 4k-5k rpm at 1/2 throttle for maybe at max 10 minutes. Since the rebuild, oil and coolant was checked daily multiple times.

The tensioner I think is easier to check then dropping the oil pan.

In theory you can remove the drive belts and timing belt covers, put the bottom pulley back on and start the engine for a few and listen to the tensioner and pulleys.

Think it through.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I don't think a compression test will help in this case ?

I know on a normal engine (not boxer) where its easy to remove the plug wire or disconnect the coil pack. You can start the engine, remove one cylinder at time and listen for the sound to change. That will tell you which rod is knocking.

If you are reasonably certain that there is internal engine damage and that its above your skill to diagnose/fix, then what are you doing?

Better off taking it to a reputable shop and having it looked at by a professional.

Idk if i trust myself to do that

I have done that a dozen times, works like a charm. Otherwise, if you don't trust that way, you can take a long breaker bar and hit it a few times with a small sludge hammer and it will break loose.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Archived