LegacyGT.com

Seized engine or rod?

Back with more problems. Thanks in advance for any insight and help. Was running the car pretty hard for about 5-10 minutes and once it was time to take the exit off the highway i slowed down and rolled to a stop in neutral. Previously checking the oil and everything before even going out i knew the car was good to go as i check the coolant and oil almost twice a day. So as i came to the stop the car just shut off without me even noticing. Started back up and it made a rattling/clunking noise. Wasn't a blown turbo noise. Sounded like the normal ticking noise became louder and harder but it only happened when i accelerated. The exhaust sounded like it had gotten more breathing room also, like the DP or midpipe came loose. No lights on the dash. Drove it for 3/4 mile and it shut off again when i slowed down to make a stop. Checked the oil, which was fine and the coolant which looked fine in the reservoir. Nothing was leaking, removed the intercooler and the intake side of the turbo was clean. Unplugged the battery and reset the ecu. Plugged back in and started up, still no lights, turned off and started again. Drove the remaining 2-3 miles home and it drove fine other than the occasional noise. As i pulled into the yard, it totally died, tried starting it back up and i got no response from the engine. Sounded as if the starter locked up wouldn't click or even turn over. After letting it sit for 5ish minutes i tried again and it cranked over once and stopped. Tried a different battery, still the same thing. So i'm stuck. There was no warning signs of this happening, no lights, no acting weird

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Similar thing happened to mine right after I bought it. Motor had to be rebuilt.

Didn't you post about some major turbo issues recently?

Yeah that was me. Like it cranks slowly, and if i let it sit long enough it'll start, but idle is rough and it'll die and it'll go back to a slow crank. My fears are internals. Which i'm screwed if it is.

My #3 rod was seized to the crankshaft.

The shop got it running but to continue in that fashion is going to cause much more damage.

I would say to stop driving it and have it towed to a shop immediately. It will have to be torn down and inspected to figure out if you can reuse anything. #ynansb

I think i caught it before any more major damage occured, haven't driven it at all since it happened. Anybody wanna buy a lightly used 05 lgt, comes with built in timer, audible knocking is loud enough to count out each 1/2 second. Very niced drive way weight. Lol

If you decide to keep it, my long time machine shop owner buddy who built our Honda race engines, told me it was cheaper to buy a new OEM short block then pay him to rebuild my block.

That's why most of us just buy a EJ257 and have our heads rebuilt.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

05's have been torn apart to show the same parts as a 257 and that is only being suggested as you won't get the same engine if you order a new 255 from subaru. Listen to what Max has to say about buying a new SB rather than rebuilding your current one. They really are not very expensive for a very nice piece of mind that you won't have future issues because you reused a block that may have contaminated oil galleys.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Are the heads are a direct mount up the ej257 block with no mods? Tuning is obvious. But other than that

Yes, the heads from your ej255 will bolt directly onto the ej257. You order the engine gasket set for your year car when you order the engine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Read the sticky at the top of the engine rebuild forum.

Once you unbolt the tranny and get it broke loose from the block, its pretty easy from there on.

I left the intake manifold etc in place and removed it when the engine was on the stand.

Disconnect the fuel lines from the shock tower bracket, its easier.

Oil is perfect, coolant is perfect. It's definitely coming from the center of the engine. I'm about to upload a video to youtube and post the link. Also i noticed once the car shut off there was a faint ticking noise still going on.

Video would help.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Ticking after the car is turned off is probably just metal contracting, like the exhaust system.

It was only on for a minute at most. Didn't even have time to warm up. Honestly now that i think about it, it sounds like it did when the turbo went out. I squeezed the coolant hose going to the turbo from the reservoir and it was easy to squeeze. May just be from no pressure in the system.

Yup, that didn't sound good at all, and it does appear to be seizing up once it warms up. Time for a new or rebuilt shortblock, or check around with dismantlers for a used motor if you're on a budget.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Archived