LegacyGT.com

BTSSM says I have knock

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I was getting P0171, so I purchased a tactrix cable and btssm and what I'm finding is very unsettling.

I'm getting fuel learning in the mid 20s, knock events, and high AFRs. Does 'fuel learning' of 24.61 while holding steady rpm/load on the highway pretty much guarantee I have a post-MAF, pre-exhaust O2 sensor leak?

20160816 cruisingBtSsm Log file.csv

20160812 BtSsm Log file-idle.csv

I have not looked at your logs but are you sure it is 'fuel learning' and not 'fuel correction' instead? As far as I know, the fuel learning values can only be between +/- 15%. The fuel correction values can be up to +/-25%. Can you post an 'LV'?

Thanks for looking at the logs. I'm attaching an LV screenshot from the drive home.

I reset my ECU about two weeks ago to clear the P0171.

I'm new to this whole logging thing and I'm still making my way through the massive btssm thread.

Screenshot_2016-08-16-16-04-09_1.jpg.1e30bb0f3cc251662d713237f577e1c3.jpg

Very interesting....

As you can see, you do have the third fuel trim at 25% as reflected in your log. This is really the first time I see this. Heiche, what do you think?

When your car is running well, these four 'Learn' values in your LV should be within +/-5%. As you can see, two of them are outside these bounds.

Large positive values mean that you may have a pretty noticeable vacuum leak somewhere.

Your IAM is at 0.5. It should be at 1.0. So I am guessing that the engine has been knocking quite a lot due to large vacuum leaks, and thereby the ECU pulled timing to protect the engine. As a result, the IAM shows up lower, in your case 0.5.

Thanks for looking at the logs. I'm attaching an LV screenshot from the drive home.

I reset my ECU about two weeks ago to clear the P0171.

I'm new to this whole logging thing and I'm still making my way through the massive btssm thread.

Is you car stock or on a stock rom?

The only way the learned value can be 25 is if your rom has the a/f learning limits changed.

Either way you have an issue with leaks.

Edit:

I'm failry certain your car has some form of tune because your load columns are very different from stock.

What modifications do you have?

Sounds like time for a pressurized vac/boost leak test (just a couple psi should be enough). There is probably a large leak somewhere. Probably pre-turbo.

But as the other guys said, your ECU definitely has a tune. Do you have any info on it? It seems odd that the AFR at idle is spot on, but yet under a little load it's so lean that the ecu reached it's limit trying to increase fuel (25% in the case of your tune).

What other mods do you have? I see that's already been asked :)

Do you have any error codes now?

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Hey guys, I purchased the car two years ago. As far as I know, it is stock, but from what you guys are telling me, now I really have no idea.

I have no mods at all. Stock DP, stock UP, stock exhaust, stock airbox, stock intake manifold, stock IC, stock turbo.

I'm still trying to track down a P0171.

I'll pressure test as soon as I can and see if I can find anything. I didn't find anything by spraying starting fluid around the engine bay. It seems that the leak is more obvious at higher rpm/load, so I've been having a bit of trouble finding it at idle.

Hey guys, I purchased the car two years ago. As far as I know, it is stock, but from what you guys are telling me, now I really have no idea.

I have no mods at all. Stock DP, stock UP, stock exhaust, stock airbox, stock intake manifold, stock IC, stock turbo.

I'm still trying to track down a P0171.

I'll pressure test as soon as I can and see if I can find anything. I didn't find anything by spraying starting fluid around the engine bay. It seems that the leak is more obvious at higher rpm/load, so I've been having a bit of trouble finding it at idle.

Oh boy...looks like someone modded the car and never reflashed a stock map when it was put back to stock.

I would really like to see the map. Do you know how to use ecuflash to pull the rom?

• 3 weeks later...

Update.

Spent a lot of time looking for a vacuum or boost leak and practically tore apart the entire intake tract and I couldn't find anything. Pressurized the system with a few psi and still couldn't find anything. Frustrated and running out of time, I sent the car off to my mechanic. They replaced the MAF with a remanufactured unit and asked me to drive the car.

I've been running the car a few miles now in the city and here's the latest LV:

http://i.imgur.com/mbl1knr.png

IAM is back to 1.0 at this point in time. It looks like the fueling issue is more or less solved -- I need to put a few more miles on the car to be sure. However, btssm is still telling me that I'm getting knock. I need to find a way to pull the engine map from the ECU, but is there anything that I should look into in the meantime?

The fact that IAM is back to 1.000 is huge. Perhaps could you post one more LV here now that it's back at 1.000?

If the knock alerts are off-boost, then I wouldn't be terribly concerned.

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Heiche -- thanks, I'll pull an LV later tonight. I'm concerned about the knocks primarily because I've seen FKC go as low as -9.xx.

Again, that doesn't necessarily mean much. I'll get drops all the way to the limit (-11.8deg on my map) only within a very specific RPM range randomly, which leads me to believe the knock sensor on the engine is just hearing phantom knock, especially since it's sporadic and I never see knock at higher RPMs (above 3k RPM or so).

To be honest, I'd disregard FBKC entirely, and watch FLKC and Knock Sum (in addition to IAM as you already are) as a live gauge, if possible. Just because you get a knock snapshot from BtSsm doesn't mean your car is actually knocking.

That LV is about as good as it gets! So it was a bad maf.

Regarding knock indicator, what solidxsnake said. Seems like some vehicles have a lot of false knock for some reason. Maybe in your case just disable BtSsm knock indicator, and just take a periodic LV.

You can also set an alert if IAM drops below 1.000 if you'd like to.

Thanks a million guys. Btssm has turned out to be an amazing tool and I just wanted to say again thanks to everyone for helping me to navigate it.

I'm still very curious on your tune though. Your limits on the learning view are so odd. I know you didn't do it but the questions I'm pondering are:

Why 5 g/rev on load? Why 12000 rpm?

I really have no idea. When I do get a chance to pull the tune from the car, I'll post it and maybe I can get some feedback. I really do want to get a solid, safe tune on the car, so I'll probably reach out to some of the vendors here shortly.

• 3 months later...

Hi All, stumbled onto this thread, and the other huge one, when researching high learn values and knock in BTSSM. I know its a few months old so appologies for digging up an old one but most people will hopefully understand I've at least done some reading first and not just started a new thread.

I'm based in the UK and have a 2004 Legacy GT WR Limited. The knowledge on this software isn't as high on UK forums so thought I'd ask on here where people seem to have a real grasp on this brilliant app.

I started my research as I'm getting knock detection. Which after researching this thread and a few others I'm now considering ok as I only get it at 2K RPM and off boost. Never under load. However I have some high Learn Values. IAM seems fine and has never dropped below 1.000.

Basically here is my LV.

y3mvA_O6GsP5XaooMaZTJ0Ymp2HZ6TWg8p6SDBFQUyi81h2qOj0nRdH62g8zw3L3Hr6Vc-m2WWDq2UzItHea71l5UTTl7h88ziUyM_CSES6v9mEsb2mNgvMSPyV1CaX72RFHdVprjF-FMlyn6GEjm5S0JK-zlRMUjMUIecMpAsWn7U?width=540&height=585&cropmode=none

And attached is a couple of quick logs (Unsure if I've got enough fields selected). Car is mapped for UK fuel and the boost is maybe a touch high. Can't find anyone local to test for leaks so going to try MAF first as that seems to have cured a few. Anything else I should be looking at? Does everything appear normal? I'd appreciate any pointers as you lot seem really helpful with other people using this software.

Cheers

Joe.

BtSsm_20161212_075628_knock.csv

BtSsm_20161212_075953_knock.csv

Archived