LegacyGT.com

06LGTL "EZGT" Build thread

What would you like to see in a 4th gen?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like to see in a 4th gen?

• Closed deck EJ25
    • Closed deck EZ30
    • Closed deck EZ36

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to start with the 3.6 as I have an entire running donor vehicle *ready (08 Tribeca)

Also, in the mail:

Walbro 255lph

STI top feed fuel rails

I Haven't decided if I'm going to do the bosch (ID) 1000cc's or go higher.. also looking at a PW top mount I/C.. it's really cheap. But I have plans to do AWIC.. Probably should not get carried away with the 2.5. But oh how I missed the flat 4. I had an EJ205 (02) and EJ207 v7 Spec C (both 2.0) so this is my first 2.5 and I'm loving the improvement in displacement. All the more to look forward to a 3.6...

It's hard having "some" money but not "a ton" of money (yet) to play with this I need to focus more on long term.

*Ready when we replace it later this year

I'm going to start with the 3.6 as I have an entire running donor vehicle *ready (08 Tribeca)

I just want to know what a manual 3.6 swapped 4th gen is like, because I want to build one myself. The boost on top of that is another level of amazing/scary.

I just want to know what a manual 3.6 swapped 4th gen is like, because I want to build one myself. The boost on top of that is another level of amazing/scary.

Good things come to those who wait! :lol:

Do they have manual 3.6's or 3.0's with mt in the US?

It could be the valves. Where the valve lashes adjusted at all?

A sound clip\video would help out as well. It could be something with timing as well, bad tensioner/crank pully/sprocket etc.

But these engines have a very noisy valvetrain, google or youtube wrx ticking or anything subaru and ticking and you will see a bunch of posts and noises pointing to a bunch of different things. You can most likely find a video with your similar sounds, which point you in the right direction.

Heads up, I found a source for a build: http://www.graveyardmotorsports.com/product_p/gm%2099-3530.htm

There is your holy grail^ I'm starting to save cash for it now.

Edit: They even offer a fluidamper for it. These guys know their stuff!!

That's a nice find right there. :)

Subscribed for results. I'm late to the party and I'm sorry there has been some issues with other members.

Nevertheless, onward from here. I've had thoughts on this exact build before. I never actually considered it for myself, but always thought it would make a great platform for a twin turbo build. Looking forward to seeing this to fruition. I'm patient. :cool:

I'm not fully convinced on "twins" at this point. For the "results" to occur I'm going to obey the "kiss" rule. Starting with one turbo. There will be gobs of logging involved to monitor the point of failure when found. I assume it's not going to be right on the first or maybe even second try. Starting this project with the correct frame of mind and patience may yield the best results. I spoke to the company today when I saw all the options they had for rods on this motor. It is as I feared. They don't have any rods for this motor. They "assumed" if someone was willing to pay the price they would have it custom made. This will indeed be a one off, at least initially. Their pricing is supposedly based on what the brands offered as a price for a custom piece. They have never built a custom 3.6 only refreshes on a stock block. So, back to square one. I may find a more local company willing to work with me on this. I know there is demand for these rods. If they were available, there would be many videos of them showing us that Subarus can hang with the 1k+hp DD club.

Heads up, I found a source for a build: http://www.graveyardmotorsports.com/product_p/gm%2099-3530.htm

There is your holy grail^ I'm starting to save cash for it now.

Edit: They even offer a fluidamper for it. These guys know their stuff!!

There's several threads on NASIOC about guys sending them a block and $$$$ and never getting anything back.

I checked the Michigan BBB. OMG. 64 complaints filed with the Better Business Bureau in the last 3 years!

http://www.bbb.org/western-michigan/...681/complaints

Look close at their Payment Terms. They only accept $500 via credit card. The remaining balance you wire to them. OMG! Red Alert!:nono: If you buy with a credit card and they don't deliver you can dispute with the credit card bank. If you wire it, it's gone!

I will not be doing business with Graveyard Motorsports, 1911 N Burdick St, Kalamazoo, MI 49007-1896 !

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

Last night I put on the headers, up-pipe to turbo studs were off about 1mm too far apart and wouldn't mount, proceeding to gut stock up. Still looking for a "stage 2" vf52 map to work with to save time. I drove down to Tyler Texas Friday night such a beautiful place. Purchased an HKS "titanium" downpipe (not titanium but it came from the turbo back HKS titanium setup. also remove the down and mid. Found that my passenger side cv shaft boot was toast. Might visit driveshaft shop early..

FB removed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Sorry, yes it has been a while. Project EZGT is still moving forward as we nearly tripled our house payment to keep the wife and kids happy. I've done more research and have found a few points of interest.

There is such a thing as a hybrid 3.6 build using the 3.0 crank. (AutoScience Dallas area) a rev happy 4-500hp build that is relatively easy to attain. The other option is a built closed deck or sleeved 3.0 looking north of 800hp still more reliable than a 500hp ej25 build. I haven't decided yet still saving. Working for a bank has its perks, I got a personal loan for $3500 that I intended on using for the short block which was partially cannibalized for another emergency. At the point i decided to clear up other higher interest debts and add a nice 100gallon fish tank to the house as the remains wasnt enough to cover a short block. When this loan is paid off I will increase it to ~5000 and use that on the short block. This will hopefully be shortly after summer '17. My wife hasn't started working yet. Still job hunting it's who you know sometimes not the schooling part after all. We'll get there if you guys are patient with me. Have any of you heard of Autoscience based near Dallas?

• 4 months later...
I hope we didn't lose anyone over that long pause. I have great news. I'm not going to say yet. A picture is worth 1,000hp? is that how it goes? Pics coming soon.

I'm really hoping it' a picture/video of a manual EZ36 4th gen that runs properly and can pass inspection. Maybe with some boltons and a tune to make 300ish horsepower and porsche 911 noises.

I can't believe I missed this thread...

One thing I've never understood is why the 3.0 and 3.6 are rated almost identically in HP and TQ.

For reference:

EZ30D - 242hp / 219lbft

EZ36D - 256hp / 247lbft

With an increase of 20% in displacement I would have expected more hp/tq. Was the EZ30D maxed out or is the EZ36D leaving something on the table? Maybe its fuel economy related? With a 300hp NA Legacy, I would bet a large majority of us would forget about not having the turbo LGT anymore.

I feel like there is so much untapped potential in these 6 cylinder engines and am looking forward to the results!

Archived