LegacyGT.com

06LGTL "EZGT" Build thread

What would you like to see in a 4th gen?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like to see in a 4th gen?

• Closed deck EJ25
    • Closed deck EZ30
    • Closed deck EZ36

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 3.6 started in the 2008 Tribeca and was carried over to the legacy as well in the 5th gen. 3.6R. Now there is a nice supercharger kit for the 3.6R on the legacy http://www.raptorsc.com.au/subaru9.html

This S/C kit adds 6psi, giving it 50% more power: 315whp for about $5000

Only other thing required in addition to the kit is a cat-back exhaust replacing the stock.

Actually $5,000 Australian dollars is $3549.00 US Dollars.

There's been a lot of discussion on the Factory Five 818 forum about using a 3.0 or 3.6. And the most famous 3.0 twin turbo builder of all time, Jeff Sponaugle, is there building one for his 818. Except he's starting with a 2.5 as test mule before he builds the 3.0.

One misconception is that the 3.6 rods are goofy, or bent. They are not. They are asymmetric to allow the displacement to go from 3.0 to 3.6. They are just as strong as a conventional design. Proof of that is in many super high compression turbo diesel engines, they use the offset rods too. However as far as anyone knows there are no forged aftermarket rods, so you are stuck with using OEM. There are forged rods for the 3.0 .

Unfortunately for the 818 the addition of the supercharger off the side of the engine won't work, there's not enough room in an 818 engine bay.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

I just read your first post. Glad to see another guy that is a fan of doing things the opensource and not giving Cobb the money for a monopolized tuning system.

Also with that blue T you fixed zip tie all the other connections on it for right now and look into getting a Turkeylord Blue T replacement fitting. It is a barbed stainless fitting that works much better than the blue plastic one originally on there.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

What are your end goals for this project? Horsepower wise! More displacement moves the power to the left, which i love personally. Are you thinking forced induction or NA?

Seems like the flat six is unchartered territory hence the lack of aftermarket support, which is odd. But it makes sense when you think how successful the flat 4 2.0 and 2.5 are, you can't really say much. "If it ain't broke why fix it" kind of thing.

But we all know how boss a 6 cylinder twin turbo setup is which isn't more or less cost effective. I don't understand anyone who thinks building a flat 4 to 600-800whp is cheaper than a flat 6 twin turbo, once you go to ecu management your in a different ball game all together.

But not sure where ur headed with this.

I started it this morning slow start (7-10 seconds of cranking). It still wants to die in idle and the misfire codes came back with another code:

P2096 "POST CATALYST TOO LEAN B1"

That VAG-COM cable sure is nice to have when troubleshooting/tuning a pre-07 Subaru.

I drove it to the parts store and grabbed a couple cans of Seafoam as I do it with every car since the WRX. I put half a can in the crankcase and 1.5 cans in the fuel tank. I drove it to work. When I came back from lunch I left it on I noticed walking by it, it had a noticeable hissing sound. I noticed it before but it made me remember that's a vacuum sound like a loose hose. I popped the hood and sure enough the little blue T connector under the I/C had blown off the other side now that wasn't zip tied. A bit of oil residue makes it really easy for these to blow off under boost. I decided later I will replace it with what you guys suggested. In the meantime it has zip ties on all three legs and one holding the two together and one to the t itself. It's not coming off anymore. This solved the dying in idle. Since I was already in there I decided to pull injector plugs all the way around to test any difference.. number four had no change when I pulled the plug. and since the error code was a lean code my guess is it is stuck closed. So I'm going to clean it tonight and try to work it loose. I already got the green light from the wife to spend ~600 on new injectors as she has been following this helping troubleshoot sometimes (this helps a lot with the money justification when they feel like they helped fix it) Headers and catless up pipe came in today so I may do that tonight as well. More to come.

Injector #4 was the problem. I pulled it and cycled it with an RC lipo battery. Popped it back in, no more codes no more slow start! I think the Seafoam did most of the work. But now, it's running great. Now for the fine learning knock table to kick up to 16 (IAM) to enjoy the short lived stock feel.

In that article they hit 600whp on a walbro 255 fuel pump. Thats impressive in my book!

My favorite part of the Perrin build is 100 hp per cylinder on an h6 vs 100 hp on a 2.5 h4 is the same reliability. I honestly believe with the right choice in bearings, pistons, valves, and valve springs a 3.0 or 3.6 is very capable of 1000 hp and being "racecar reliable" meaning you have to know absolutely everything going on with your car but with an oil change every weekend you could race every weekend and not be too concerned. But then again this is all theoretical in my mind.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Yes that's the idea^

I was at an auto auction all day Saturday. Signed for a "new" 08 Tribeca got it for a steal at $5600. Want to know how tough the 3.6's are? it has 349,896 miles on it and it runs and drives like new.

Here it is just before the first drive as owner still in the "sexy auction pose" they did as it was the "nicest" car there other than a 2015 Camaro that had had an internal bonfire.

http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b441/Hargak/caged_zpshz1yawbk.jpg

Interior about to get first carwash:

http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b441/Hargak/another1_zpscfhlzyse.jpg

Only code is cat not running to full capacity, lol go figure. And I dub thee this Pearl white to the moon and back Tribeca, Falkor.

http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b441/Hargak/Tribeca_zpsnbuejw3t.jpg

Engine secured. I wasn't worried about the miles when I got it because I was going to do all new parts anyways.. turns out it's running perfect after all. More to come.

Anyone interested in the Subaru H6 should download this before it disappears.

Technician Reference Booklet

6 Cylinder Boxer Engines Series Module 104-H6

December 2009

http://phantomotaku.com/SVX/011822-MSA5P0631C.pdf

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

Monday:

Was cruisin' may have just shown up a HondaBoi.. When I got pulled over just after the brief spat.

http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b441/Hargak/law%20abiding_zpsiijyyxox.jpg

I was a bit worried, for some reason I instinctively pulled a selfie.. what has this world come to.

He pulled me over to tell me my lights were off.

I drove around for a while logging and checking over things. When I pulled over I had turned the lights off. I let the e-brake off the lights came back on and I drove around. Well, those are the DRL's and the rear lights don't come on. After recalling an article about this very annoying issue I showed the cop the lights were off, I had just bought it and was still learning the features. and He said "stay safe" what a relief. I thought he was pulling me over for street racing. Life goes on!

Updated original post with more pics and details, see also Falkor on page 3.

I spoke to my wife today about the possibility of cannibalizing Falkor. She agreed I could within the year. She will start working and my budget will have quadrupled. A few months after she starts work I may have it as a donor for the GT, So no matter what I can get it running as it's running in Falkor. Then we can move to rebuilding and strengthening it. She did ask if we could get a new Tribeca when I do. In the few times she drove it she loves it over the other cars she has had. It really is an impressive vehicle.

Archived