LegacyGT.com

Member Profile - Cup of Joe

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just drove to work, so about 20 mins of about 40 mph. I checked when I got here and seems to still be coming strong from the passenger side rocker cover, or maybe where the exhaust connects.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Okay, I drove to work this morning, I didn't see any smoke when I park and looked under the hood! Tomorrow I'm still going to crawl under and look around to make sure. I also need to put my new motul gear oil in.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone grabbed the white line too hats, part number KCA409? They are expensive, but I can't figure out if they come with both top hats, or just one for $180. Also, are they a huge improvement over the OEM $50 ones?

You don't need them. Our cars have pretty good caster and you'll have plenty of camber adjustment with the stock camber bolt. Save your money for other improvements.

Thanks, you guys are the best!

• 1 month later...
Installed the avo dbw controller this morning. Bought from a member on here. Feels so much better!

Site says the installation is easy. Was it? Elaborate on how it drives

Site says the installation is easy. Was it? Elaborate on how it drives

Super easy to install. It makes shifting and starting from a stop so much smoother. Well if you use the off road setting, which opens the throttle slower. Haven't played with the power settings yet, and honestly not too interested in them. But like gt says, you'd benefit more from a tune.

Since you have a turbo, you can get driveability from your tune. The best thing the NA guys can do short of a custom tune is a throttle contoller.

I had my 2.5i tuned. One issue with the tune is that my throttle was not remapped, so it has the disconnected feel of the stock tune. Part throttle drivability takes the longest time to do when tuning an engine. Tuning 5th Gen 2.5i is not very popular so their has been minimal time invested in drivability. (it also doesn't help that their are 2 different 2.5i motors) The 6th Gen 2.5i tune are much more popular, so I bet their tunes are much more refined than the 5th 2.5i.

Considered a tune for my 2.5 NA, but based on the cost of the Tactrix Cable and the tune and the results that have been posed it just didn't seem like a great investment for the minimal power return.

How would the throttle controller work on a Legacy with a CVT?

Considered a tune for my 2.5 NA, but based on the cost of the Tactrix Cable and the tune and the results that have been posed it just didn't seem like a great investment for the minimal power return.

How would the throttle controller work on a Legacy with a CVT?

Yeah I don't think tuning an n/a is worth it. But this throttle controller is well worth buying it imo. I have no idea how it would make a CVT feel. I have a six speed, and I totally noticed the throttle issue. And I'm sure my passengers were like "this guy must have just started driving stick.."

So clutch, rear main seal, and rocker gaskets are all done, for a few weeks now. I sprang a leak near the front of the engine. Assuming it's the front main seal or the oil pump in some way. It's due for a timing belt job. I got the front all apart. And I'm not sure how to line up the cams. There's.. a bunch of different marks.

fa368584d39826f88e87a027d2fe2c3c.jpga84b59699397976758d642f032df0387.jpg

The timing marks are cast into the pulleys, the paint marks are assembly marks not really timing marks. Look for small notches in the two cam pulleys and the crank pullley.

Edit they may also be the arrows I will have to look at the fsm to be sure.

As far as positioning the cams, go by the marks on the pulleys themselves- looks to be an arrow under the pink paint dot on the top picture, and maybe the little circle on the bottom one, and those should align with something on the cover or the block (there's a notch in the cover on the top pic, not sure about the bottom one). Either way, if you make your own marks on the old belt and on the pulleys, transfer the marks to the new belt, and match them up with the pulleys, you should be good. The three marks (LH cam, RH cam, crank) on the belt I got for the Baja didn't seem to line up with the belt grooves quite the same as on the old belt, so I made my own.

Edit: like FLlegacy said, the paint pen marks are more of an "I torqued this" than an alignment reference, although it looks like they marked the alignment reference on the top picture.

Gates quality for the tensioners and water pump have both gone downhill in the last year. They are using cheaper bearings and their castings look to be of lesser quality than in the past. I think most 4th Genners are now using either OEM, Aisin or Continental kits. I have heard good things about the Aisin in the 4th Gen section.

Archived