LegacyGT.com

Takata airbag recall now includes 2005-2008 Legacy and Outback

WraithAkaMrak

That's 13 deaths too many for a device that is supposed to save your life.

Europe might not have as many affected vehicles because their airbags don't have to be as violent as US airbags (something about Europe's airbag is complimentary to seat belts, while US ones need to be safe enough for those not buckled in.)

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Europe might not have as many affected vehicles because their airbags don't have to be as violent as US airbags (something about Europe's airbag is complimentary to seat belts, while US ones need to be safe enough for those not buckled in.)

That's an interesting take on them, but I can't see it being true.

In North America they've always been considered Supplemental Restraint Devices (SRS). I can't see them being "less violent" in the EU. They need to deploy in a fraction of a second regardless if you're wearing a seatbelt.

We know that there were many Japanese cars exported to the EU that have had airbags recalled. But the EU also manufacturers a lot of vehicles that are never exported and likely don't use nearly as many Japanese parts.

There are only a few airbag vendors, so there may be a number of Takata airbags in European vehicles as well. And most Asian market cars are imported, only a few plants exists here that makes Asian brands/models.

The "Less Violent" isn't really true, but at least earlier there were cases where the airbags on the European market were smaller.

If you wear the belt correctly then the passenger side airbag is not being that important.

453747.png

Or maybe Europeans aren't flipping idiots. They are probably weighing the very small number of people who have actually been injured against the number of times airbags have saved people, and are also considering the environmental factors of High Heat and Humidity that contribute to the failures, whereas in the US, if ONE person dies in an accident, we flip the f*%# out and demand that no one ever die again.

in case you save a live changing all the modules, is profitable. a life is invaluable.

ford tried to calculate cost in the 70´s... remember ford pinto and the consequences...

Edited by bullit

Across Europe is necesary the seat belts while you driving, don´t in the US? i don´t know this.

Why? Do you have full confidence in the dealer's ability to cleanly R&R the instrument panel upper shell (esp. on the Tribeca of which they must be seeing very few)? Just asking.

Yes, I do it isn't rocket science dealer techs do this for a living so I would expect they can take care of my car as well as they do the Cadillacs and Buicks they service as well as Subarus. In this area at least Subaru dealers are usually tied to higher class dealers instead of being stand alone.

That's an interesting take on them, but I can't see it being true.

The "Less Violent" isn't really true, but at least earlier there were cases where the airbags on the European market were smaller.

European airbags are smaller thus can deploy slower/more gracefully, while US ones are about twice as big and require a much faster inflation time to be useful.

In general, European airbags hold 35 litres of gas propellant and fully inflate within 25 milliseconds, which means that they have to expand at anything up to 160 mph. American air bags, usually holding 60 litres of gas, have to inflate even faster.

Source

Also if you can trust Wikipedia, under Regulatory Section:

In 1998, FMVSS 208 was amended to require dual front airbags, and reduced-power, second-generation airbags were also mandated. This was due to the injuries caused by first-generation airbags, though FMVSS 208 continues to require that bags be engineered and calibrated to be able to "save" the life of an unbelted 50th-percentile size and weight "male" crash test dummy.

ECE airbags are generally smaller and inflate less forcefully than United States airbags, because the ECE specifications are based on belted crash test dummies.

Across Europe is necesary the seat belts while you driving, don´t in the US? i don´t know this.

They are required in most states, but just like most other petty laws people don't always listen to them.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

just had a horrible experience

brought in my 05 for airbags

they damaged my dash in the corners

and scuffed my steering wheel

when i pointed it out to them they said bring it back

and their interior guy will try to fix it

i agree to let them try and fix

i bring the car back in and they buff out my steering wheel

and try to fix the corners of the dash,

steering wheel looks alright, corners arnt perfect but i can manage as its not obvious

but upon further inspection i notice they had cracked my dash

right above my speedometer

when i pointed it out they said they would glue it back together as repair work

i told them that i was unhappy with that and they would need to replace it

because it would look as if it was glued back together...

they said they would not replace the dash and then they went on to say that i could not prove it was them that cracked my dash and that i could have cracked it myself

never have i ever had such a frustrating experience with anyone ever before...

if the dealerships break something they usually take care of it

you get a phonecall saying it will be longer then expeceted

this stops the customer from getting angry

but this is not what this tech did... he reinstalled it as if nothing was broken, and prayed that i didnt notice. When i did notice, the managers instant first response was that "you cant prove it was us"

.... wtf...

so shady...

they then went on to say its a 10 year old car and

you cant expect us to replace a new part on an old car

so first you damage my car and then you insult me by telling me my car is old

too old to justifty new parts ... even though you caused the damage when performing recall....

take pictures of everything

do not have faith that techs will take good care of your things

and if they do end up damaging your things

they will go to great lengths to cover their own asses

they will try to solve the problem without incurring any expense if possible

which makes sense (so make sure you have proof)

TL;DR

airbag recall

techs broke my dash and denied it.. offored glue as fix

told me car was too old to warrent replacement parts

05 lgt 122k miles

make sure you are very clear with them about damages and expectations

go over the car and any damages before and after and

take pictures and do not drive off the property without documenting everthing

Did you make a complaint with SOA?

Call Us

1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)

Hours of Operation

Monday through Thursday

7:30 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. (EST)

Friday

10:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (EST)

Saturday

9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. (EST)

Sunday

Closed

thanks for the concern ssbtech

Im located in Canada

i did contact subaru of Canada and they are assisting me through this

dealer contacted me, they said they were able to source a used dash

.... hopefully it all goes well from here

moral of the story.. always take pictures , be firm

and pray for the best

My dealer is taking the passenger side air bag out through the cubby hole without removing the dash....

Remove glovebox

remove center cubby

remove right side vent

unbolt airbag

remove through cubby hole

Takes them 45min at the most

Edited by Scooby2.5

My dealer is taking the passenger side air bag out through the cubby hole without removing the dash....

Remove glovebox

remove center cubby

remove right side vent

unbolt airbag

If this the case I am very interested, I have balked at taking mine in for the very reason that allwheeldrift has experienced.

Remove glovebox

remove center cubby

remove right side vent

unbolt airbag

That's what the tech at the dealer told me they do. I have mine scheduled in about a week and did express to him that I am concerned about them ruining the interior; his response was that they don't take the dash board out at all and they are just as uninterested in buying me a new dash.

We'll see how it goes. I WILL take the pictures before and will let them know I did that.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Got the airbag replaced in my OBXT today - no drama. They confirmed eligibility for the dash replacement and ordered the part. Unfortunately they are unwilling to work with me on the airbag replacement for the LGT, won't provide parts for self-install (understandable) or do the job if I bring the car in partially torn down. Guess I'm keeping the shrapnel bomb in there. Once I swap the seats it is questionable if the airbags will still work as designed so... :jedi:

Got the airbag replaced in my OBXT today - no drama. They confirmed eligibility for the dash replacement and ordered the part. Unfortunately they are unwilling to work with me on the airbag replacement for the LGT, won't provide parts for self-install (understandable) or do the job if I bring the car in partially torn down. Guess I'm keeping the shrapnel bomb in there. Once I swap the seats it is questionable if the airbags will still work as designed so... :jedi:

Just take it apart like I did and take it in. What can they say ;)

I have STI gauge pack as well and it doesn't come out just the surround.

Or the alternative - disconnect the airbag and make sure passengers wears a seat belt.

You realize that the airbag isn't supposed to be used instead of a seat belt right? Not saying you don't, but I've seen a few comments here that indicate that airbags only help when someone isn't wearing a seat belt. It's called the SRS (supplemental restraint system), as in to supplement the primary restraint system (your seat belt). Seat belts are meant to stretch and give (a lot) in the event of a crash. The airbag is there to slow down your face so it doesn't smash into the steering wheel or dash, as well as stop whiplash when rapidly decelerating your body while your head keeps going. While the belt is there to keep you from going through the windshield or submarining under the dash

I would very highly advise against ignoring this recall and either leaving the defective part in there, or disabling the SRS. I especially wouldn't go posting about it on a public forum. If someone is injured or killed in your car because of it (even after you've sold it) it will be very easy to hold you liable.

All this because the dealer *might* scratch the dash or introduce a rattle? Seriously get over it and get it done, then deal with any issues as they come up.