LegacyGT.com

Takata airbag recall now includes 2005-2008 Legacy and Outback

WraithAkaMrak

Takata Airbag Recall Expands; Feds Report Eighth U.S. Fatality (Edmunds)

NHTSA have not posted VINs affected; will be announced soon.

The expanded recall includes the 2005-'08 Mazda 6, 2002-'04 Honda CR-V, 2005-'08 Subaru Legacy and 2005-'08 Subaru Outback.

Specific details on the expanded recall are still vague.

NHTSA said it has not posted vehicle identification numbers (VIN) of the affected cars on its website or compiled the specific number of vehicles included in the expanded recall.

The federal safety agency expects to post that information in a few days.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After seeing the story on autoblog, decided to check again, and am glad I did. I guess I'm not the only one blindsided by this after checking over and over in May-July and getting "your car is not on the list"?

Here I thought I'd missed the notification(s) - the NTHSA documents seem to suggest they sent out 3 notices to LEGACY owners. Guess not. Thanks Subaru. So much for caring about your owners :mad:

I guess at least it's not the driver's side airbag - I often am the only adult in the car, so it's still usable as a 2nd car, and we'll take the minivan as often as possible. Hoping to get the car back after a 5-week repair (long story - front diff needed work, had a Hexmods F1 installed, etc).

Can the front airbag be disabled just by pulling the plug on the sensor? Or would that make it go into always-on mode?

You guys are pretty brave trying to be the first ones to get the recall completed. The dealership techs are probably going to mess up the job in some way on the first handful of cars until they master taking the dash apart.

I guess you have to balance the risk of airbag shrapnel versus damage to your interior. From my perspective, the risk of the airbag is far lower and less likely than a damaged interior.

You guys are pretty brave trying to be the first ones to get the recall completed. The dealership techs are probably going to mess up the job in some way on the first handful of cars until they master taking the dash apart.

I guess you have to balance the risk of airbag shrapnel versus damage to your interior. From my perspective, the risk of the airbag is far lower and less likely than a damaged interior.

Some 05's were already included in the airbag recall, the mid December update just increased the cars included.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

That depends on who supplied the 09 airbags. If Takata did then it comes down to if the batch has the bad inflators in it. IIRC the reason the recall was expanded to 08's had to do with the latest confirmed death.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Wonder if that is good news for any of you guys with dash rattle - will they have the opportunity to address that while its all apart?

You can't be serious. There's no way the dealership is going to do any additional work while in there. Especially not for a rattle on a car that's 7-10 years old. :lol:

You can't be serious. There's no way the dealership is going to do any additional work while in there. Especially not for a rattle on a car that's 7-10 years old. :lol:

Depends on what has to come apart and whey the dash rattles. If the problem is with worn mounting hardware for the dash pad then they could easily just use new hardware on reassembly, no?

Like this: http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread.php/silencing-vin-plate-defroster-panel-1205.html?threadid=1205

Replace the clips that hold the defroster panel on. I don't mind them charging me for the clips, and if they are taking that panel off already then it's no additional labor for them.

Edited by Scruit

Dealership told me last week on the phone that they had the parts. Today, they tell me they're back ordered until April. At least I called before driving 20+ miles in the rain + $5 bridge toll only to be told no, can't do it..

Time to try 1-800-Subaru3 and see what they say.. and after they blow me off, tear into the car and disable the airbag..