LegacyGT.com

Takata airbag recall now includes 2005-2008 Legacy and Outback

WraithAkaMrak

So, assuming they have to remove the whole dashboard, and I have a bunch of custom wiring in there... How to handle?

I can't expect them to understand my wiring, to troubleshoot it is there is a problem etc. I thin the safest route is for me to remove the custom wiring ahead of time and give them a stock vehicle to work on. This means removing the wiring for my dashcam, screen, backup camera feed selector, phone cable, FM transmitter, oil pressure gauge and boost/vac gauge. They all hook up inside the inspection panel on the passenger side of the dashboard, and most of it crosses over to the driver's side behind the dash. This stuff will all be in the way while they are working and "allow for removal of the dashboard" was not high on my list of design requirements.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dealership told me last week on the phone that they had the parts. Today, they tell me they're back ordered until April. At least I called before driving 20+ miles in the rain + $5 bridge toll only to be told no, can't do it..

Time to try 1-800-Subaru3 and see what they say.. and after they blow me off, tear into the car and disable the airbag..

Yup, Subaru says to not carry a front seat passenger, so several months of no front passenger is going to be a big problem for a lot of folks.

Time to try 1-800-Subaru3 and see what they say.. and after they blow me off, tear into the car and disable the airbag..

Well, they actually didn't blow me off. Nice person called back (via call-back option), said she would talk to various dealerships in the area and find a way to get the parts for me sooner. Here's hoping..

Like this: http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread.php/silencing-vin-plate-defroster-panel-1205.html?threadid=1205

Replace the clips that hold the defroster panel on. I don't mind them charging me for the clips, and if they are taking that panel off already then it's no additional labor for them.

Lets hope so, both of my LGT's have dash rattle. Id pay for the clips too, but maybe they would be breaking some anyways when removing the dash.

They are waiting for the recalled parts to come in so when I take it back I will let you know...I imagine to get to it the entire dash will need to be removed. However dashes are not that bad if you have done them before. I like Subaru's dashes a lot more than Chevy/Ford...much easier to work on (usually)

I plan to wait until my dealer has done some of the recalls before I have them do mine. I don't want to be their guinea pig. I don't usually have passengers, so I don't mind if it takes awhile.

I plan to wait until my dealer has done some of the recalls before I have them do mine. I don't want to be their guinea pig. I don't usually have passengers, so I don't mind if it takes awhile.

Same here, cars put away for winter, I'll do it come March/April.

Just spoke with the dealership. The parts are on back-order. They will call me when the parts come in. no eta, but 6mo has been reported by folks in various regions on the US.

They also further reconfirmed that the dash has to come out to do the work.

Edited by Scruit

Guess I'll get around to dealing with the stealership sooner than later. I'll wait for them to do a few before I take mine in since they are so incompetent. Hopefully (not really) I'll be moved by then and can take it to a "better" dealer for the work.

So much for that idea. Subaru called dealer, dealer said they had the parts. Went there, after waiting 3 hours, they tell me Subaru asked about the wrong part - a 2004 airbag, not 2005.. Really, and you couldn't verify AT THE (*&@#$ beginning of my appointment? I even called before driving out to make sure they had the part. Guess now I have to start asking by part number..

So much for that idea. Subaru called dealer, dealer said they had the parts. Went there, after waiting 3 hours, they tell me Subaru asked about the wrong part - a 2004 airbag, not 2005.. Really, and you couldn't verify AT THE (*&@#$ beginning of my appointment? I even called before driving out to make sure they had the part. Guess now I have to start asking by part number..

That sucks.

My dash better not squeak after this fix. I'll be calling the Service Manager directly to deal with this recall as I've had horrible experiences with the dealer.

• 3 weeks later...
Just called my local dealer and the parts are on back-order for a month. Apparently Subaru had them all shipped to the east coast/SE as the corrosion rate is faster down there, possibly causing the issue to happen faster. This is nuts… Edited by ivonr

Had a chat with the local Subaru shop foreman. The work required the dashboard be pulled away from the firewall but not completely removed. This is because there is a crash bar behind the dash that blocks access. Not sure how long it will take but 6 hours per car is not unreasonable. They will get a better idea as they start actually doing them. Parts are on back order, 6mo is not an unreasonable guesstimate.

Just called my local dealer and the parts are on back-order for a month. Apparently Subaru had them all shipped to the east coast/SE as the corrosion rate is faster down there, possibly causing the issue to happen faster. This is nuts…

FWIW I'm on the east coast, and was told by my dealer they won't be getting parts until (best guesstimate) April. They're supposed to notify me when I can schedule service.

I never got the recall notice, just heard about it through the grapevine. Subaru's website has a VIN lookup.