LegacyGT.com

Takata airbag recall now includes 2005-2008 Legacy and Outback

WraithAkaMrak

I wonder what this does for the used market? Can dealers sell a used car knowing that it has a recall out for a potentially deadly airbag? Is my car now worth $2500 until the airbag is replaced (good thing it's not for sale)?

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did see that the reason why the airbags are so dangerous is that they have used ammonium nitrate for the charge, and that changes properties with age and when it's exposed to humidity becoming more volatile.

Ammonium Nitrate - the stuff used in the Oklahoma City bombing.

Other manufacturers uses guanidinium nitrate.

453747.png

I did see that the reason why the airbags are so dangerous is that they have used ammonium nitrate for the charge, and that changes properties with age and when it's exposed to humidity becoming more volatile.

Ammonium Nitrate - the stuff used in the Oklahoma City bombing.

Other manufacturers uses guanidinium nitrate.

About guanidinium nitrate:

The compound is hazardous substance, being an explosive and containing an oxidant (nitrate). It is also harmful to the eyes, skin, and inhalation

That's what I want exploding right in my face :eek:

I'm sure nothing's perfect when you're talking about "controlled" explosions inches from people's faces

Edited by nonsense

Any explosive is dangerous, no surprise there. Do you think ammonium nitrate is better?

The problems comes when the explosives ages and changes their properties causing the explosion to become quite different from what it was designed to be.

Airbags is something we have because not everyone wears a seat belt, helmet and a HANS device.

453747.png

I had mine done on Monday. They ended up keeping the car over night and giving me a Crosstrek loaner. I got the car back and the glovebox and instrument cluster lens were scratched. They are ordering parts to replace those.

I let my wife drive the Crosstrek, and she said it was a very boring car. I hated the touchscreen radio, so slow!

The best bit is Takata have been discussing this internally for years. They have a sanitized phrase for describing the deadly shrapnel explosions.

The call it "ED". Energetic Disassembly.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos-takata-inflators-exclusive-idUSKCN0VV0L6

In a 2010 memo, a Takata manager expressed concern about "how to control moisture" in some inflators and worried that the company would not be able to assure the safety of the devices.

In an email the same year about pre-production quality testing of inflators built at the Monclova factory, a Takata manager expressed confusion to colleague about the causes of pervasive defects.

"I do not understand why we are failing every lot," he wrote.

In company documents, Takata engineers referred to the failures – when exploding inflators ruptured into metal fragments – as "ED," for "energetic disassembly."

About guanidinium nitrate:

The compound is hazardous substance, being an explosive and containing an oxidant (nitrate). It is also harmful to the eyes, skin, and inhalation

All true, but the reason for the recall is the increased explosive force over time and humidity.

I don't know if ammonium nitrate is explosion trouble unless it's mixed with something else. It's also known as urea, a nitrogen based fertilizer, can be used as snow melt (non corrosive to the air frames of planes but downside is it will lift the paint on concrete), a feed grade product for cattle, and most recently in diesels to clean up the exhaust emissions (expendable product to be refilled at maintenance intervals).

I thought early airbags used sodium azide but that's no good for you either.

Any explosive is dangerous, no surprise there. Do you think ammonium nitrate is better?

The problems comes when the explosives ages and changes their properties causing the explosion to become quite different from what it was designed to be.

Airbags is something we have because not everyone wears a seat belt, helmet and a HANS device.

Energetic disassembly is as good a reason as any to start wearing a helmet and 5 point harness with HANS device, lol.

I wonder if NHTSA can give any guidance on the risk of the airbag thing versus the risk if you disable the airbag (assuming your wear seat belt, of course) ? What's the easiest way to disable the air bag ?

It was really easy (less than 10 minutes, after waiting 30 minutes after disconnecting the battery) on my '05. PM me for details.

I've had the recall done already, didn't seem like they messed up much, just a couple of smudges on the windshield that wiped off easily.. They also removed (as per my instructions) a no-longer needed aftermarket antenna without any complaints. My cubby already had a crack in one part, so I can't blame them for that. Car also smelled of adhesive for a couple of days, but nothing too horrible. Overall, quite satisfied. I had it done at Carlsen Subaru in Redwood city. The only hitch was that they needed an extra day and got me into a rental (extended-size Yukon - talk about a boat :lol:) and I had to drive back and forth a couple of times.

So with all this noise about replacing Takata air-bags due to explosive changing it's properties over time, what about driver's airbag? Is it made with different components?

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

So with all this noise about replacing Takata air-bags due to explosive changing it's properties over time, what about driver's airbag? Is it made with different components?

Probably, but sending out a letter saying "don't drive your car until we get caught up on parts" is worse than saying "don't let anyone sit in the passenger seat"

I'm sure when there's yet another death Takata will recall another batch. :spin:

Probably, but sending out a letter saying "don't drive your car until we get caught up on parts" is worse than saying "don't let anyone sit in the passenger seat"

I'm sure when there's yet another death Takata will recall another batch. :spin:

IIRC one the first cases made public about Takata airbags killing people involved a lady driver being killed.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Yeah, I didn't have any unusual smells after I picked mine up. just a bunch of broke stuff.:lol:

Had a new windshield put in one day. Glass shop didn't know about the clips at the top of the a-pillars.

I was expecting a bit of a urethane glass adhesive smell, but not the globs of silicone they glued the a-pillars back in place with :mad:

So they broke something and didn't want to tell you and order the replacement part so they glued it back together? :lol:

Yeah, I didn't have any unusual smells after I picked mine up. just a bunch of broke stuff.:lol:

Mine smelled like adhesive, too. And they misaligned some plastic in the dash.

No adhesive smell on mine, but it is going back on Friday to get the instrument cluster lens and glove box door replaced. They ordered another loaner car. The glove box door should take all of 5 minutes. Do they have to rip apart the whole thing again to do the instrument cluster?

No adhesive smell on mine, but it is going back on Friday to get the instrument cluster lens and glove box door replaced. They ordered another loaner car. The glove box door should take all of 5 minutes. Do they have to rip apart the whole thing again to do the instrument cluster?

What was damaged on the glovebox door? The pivot point on the right side of mine was damaged.

Going in for the recall today. I'm fortunate enough to know a dealership employee from my college days, so I'm hoping for a little more tlc than what I'm hearing on this thread. Even so, I expect a few kinks...

Edit: Didn't take long, the parts haven't come in yet...postponed for now [emoji47]

Edited by Fasemelta

Of those who have already had yours fixed, were you notified that the parts were in stock and to contact your dealer, or did you ignore the notice to ride it out without a passenger until they send another letter?

I'm thinking about calling my local dealers, but living in the land of Subaru I'm sure there's a few thousand on the list ahead of me.