LegacyGT.com

Takata airbag recall now includes 2005-2008 Legacy and Outback

WraithAkaMrak

According to my friend, they do not replace the whole airbag, only the inflators, which are much easier to get to. Airbags are just about impossible to remove without removing the dash. I had the dash out on my partout legacy and I still had a heck of a time trying to remove the airbag.

Maybe your dash was showing signs of being sticky and got replaced? Or maybe if the airbag doesn't look good when they get to the inflator, then they replace it?

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I called two dealers in the area and they were positive the dash will come out, as per the official procedure.

Note, the official procedure also only talks about inflator replacement, not air bag.

I called two dealers in the area and they were positive the dash will come out, as per the official procedure.

Note, the official procedure also only talks about inflator replacement, not air bag.

Did the service manager who often has no clue on how to work on cars say that they remove the dash? or actual the tech who would often be doing the work said that he removes the dash?

I ask to talk to the tech who is going to be working on the car, so I understand what is going to be done, and the tech understands what concerns I have about the area or part that is going be torn-into. Have never had a service manager wave me off.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Did the service manager who often has no clue on how to work on cars say that they remove the dash? or actual the tech who would often be doing the work said that he removes the dash?

One of those seemed knowledgable and said that on 04 and earlier they do not remove the dash.

• 4 years later...
I have not taken mine in yet, but I called the dealer (Subaru Wakefield in MA), they told me they will be taking the dash off.

I am now torn - the official procedure says to remove the dash, but then you risk a host of issues caused by a careless dealer monkey. On the other hand, I wonder if the shortcut procedure compromises the replacement bag in some way.

:spin::spin:

I should bump this thread.

So I took my wagon #2 (that I since sold) for the recall back in 2018 I think. Dealer A (Subaru Wakefield) did remove the dash. Surprisingly they did not **** up anything visible, except putting grease marks on the A-pillar trim pieces, but these cleaned nicely. I did not notice any rattles or squeaks even. You could call it a surprising "great success".

I need to take my wagon #1 for that, I've been procrastinating with. I called the same dealer and they told me they still remove the dash for this job.

But I also called Dealer B (Cityside Subaru) and they were adamant the dash will not come out, they go through the glovebox.

On one hand given the prior success and the fact it is the official procedure I should go to Dealer A. OTOH, I might be pushing my luck and the "unofficial" procedure seems to be less risky, so maybe I should go to Dealer B.... :spin:

Thoughts?