LegacyGT.com

Trouble Downshifting to 1st and 2nd

I have trouble downshifting to 1st or 2nd while moving. 2nd is hit and miss, but for 1st, it will not slide into 1st without considerable effort until I have come to a complete stop. Its kinda weird. If I'm at a complete stop, it drops into 1st no problem and up shifting into 2nd is nice and smooth. This is really annoying when coming up on a turn where I don't fully stop. Sometimes I feel like I'm going to break the lever with the amount of force it requires to downshift to 2nd or 1st. I do wait till the vehicle has slowed to a speed suitable for either gear so I'm not stressing the synchros too much. I have a stock shifter box with the trifecta of Perrin bits, short shift adapter, bushing, and shifter stop. I thought at first it might be the shifter stop being adjusted to tight, but I loosened it all the way to allow a lot of slop and it still does it. I don't really remember how it was before putting those on since I installed them shortly after buying the car this year.

Does any body else have this issue? Thanks guys.

I don't put it into 1st unless I'm basically stopped, but if I'm still rolling, even just barely its very difficult. It will sometimes go into 2nd easier, but if I'm nearly stopped, I have to slip the clutch more than I'd like to get moving.

I should try to double clutch and see if that helps.

That's pretty much what I have going on as well. Anything up to about 5 mph is pretty easy to get into 1st, beyond that and it's gotta be 2nd. I don't usually have any issue with getting into 2nd once things are warmed up, but it can be a little rough first thing in the morning now that it's getting cold(ish) out.

Shadow_419 spoke the magic words: double clutch... Yeah, I know. I am an old trucker, but it is so easy, and there is zero drama. I also double clutch in winter, upshifting from 1st to 2nd gear, when it is very cold - even while running Extra-S in the transmission. Some times from 2nd to 3rd, also. Beats the experience you describe, jkenefake, and it is better than replacing synchronizers, hands down...

Best.

Byll

Welcome to our finicky transmissions. What you described sounds just like mine when it's cold. Once it's warmed up, 2nd gear downshifts are pretty normal-ish. Double clutching definitely helps immediately when its cold, just did this the other day when I used the GT to run an errand.

When I need to get into 1st and I am moving a little too fast for it to drop in, I usually just give the brakes a quick stab while I am applying a little pressure and it usually drops in.

When is the last time you changed your tranny fluid? Every 25k to 30k miles really improves the low gear downshifts. Use Extra-S or Motul Gear300 where you live. In a colder climate you should use the cocktail the brandon.mol uses with some Redline lightweight shockproof added in.

I've got Motul Gear300 in there from this summer. Which did make it shift smoother I overall. I have the issue regardless of ambient or operating temperature. At least it doesn't change significantly. Sounds like the behavior is somewhat "normal." Just wanted to make sure it wasn't something wrong with the shifter add ons I have.

its a pain in the balls to get into first before you get to around 7 MPH, if i really have to do it i usually give the gas a solid stab with pressure on the shifter (which probably works similar to GTeaser's brake stabbing method). for down shifts to 2nd mine is usually pretty smooth with a good rev match but i did notice it get pretty hard to do before i change my trans fluid for the first time... which i need to do again soon.

I can be going less than 1 mph and it's still difficult to go into 1st. Its not until I come to a full stop that it slides in easy. That's what makes its it weird. I would expect it to be difficult if I were moving at like 10 mph or so.

Maybe I'll try to mix in some Lightweight Shockproof and see if that helps. What ratio do people use?

Yeah it seems like everyone has experienced this in our cars. I've noticed it in mine since the day I bought it new. I'm running 75% lightweight shockproof and 25% motul. Whiteline positive shift kit helps tremendously, really cleans up the crunchiness that I used to feel shifting from time to time

I cant say for sure because I had it installed at the same time I got my blacksteins installed. They're just urethane cross-member bushings so I imagine it would be even easier than installing the perrin SSA or a new trans mount, the trans mount also helps a lot if you dont have one of those. Seems like Subaru left a lot of slack in all the mounts and bushings, I assume to keep things from breaking or keep the car more refined. All we get in the end is a sub-par shifting experience.

Who makes the trans mount?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Group-5-speed-Trans-Impreza-Forester/dp/B00ANO7JSE]Amazon.com: Group N 5-speed Trans Mount M/t Impreza Rs WRX Forester: Automotive[/ame]

This is the one you want. I think theres an STI brand one as well but its more expensive. I'm in Manassas from time to time, if you ever wanna meet up and take mine for a spin to help you make your decision your more than welcome to. I've spent the last year trying all sorts of different setups and part combinations to get the shifter feel just right. It's not exactly where I'd like it to be and maybe it'll never be perfect, but the setup I have now is by far the best. Another thing to note is the Boomba stick also tightens things up quite a bit but creates uneven throw length which I really didn't like and that thing is an absolute bitch to install.

I found the Redline LWSP fluid to significantly improve synchro meshing on downshifts.

Also, my fluid mix seems to not give a shit about cold temps. Like I'm talking Honey-Badger not giving a shit. It's substantially better than factory fill.

I still get a bit of a fight with 1st over 35kph (20mph) but its perfectly fine below 20mph.

Also, the great thing about the LWSP is that it has the shock loading characteristics of a 140 weight gear lube with the flow of a 30 weight engine oil.

Yo, don't install solid tranny mount unless you can live with really noisy trans during engine brake. This happens right away for some, but for most it takes time to develop.

Why would you need to go into first while moving? You gotta rev it pretty high while going less than 10mph, but I just wouldn't force it, coming down to second gear is enough. I use Motul Gear 300 for tranny and rear diff.

Try switching back to Extra-S Trans fluid and see if that helps, I know it helped me when I was running the cocktail (shock proof/Motul). When I switched back I had no more issues of gear changes.

Several members have experence issues running different or combined fluids, and some that haven't. It could be the case here. Extra-S is the recommend fluid to run in these trans, anything else is a gamble if it works long term or not. Remember to change the fluid every 30k miles.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Archived