LegacyGT.com

Trouble Downshifting to 1st and 2nd

I'm fully aware of the consequences of trying to put it into 1st going 10 or even 5 mph. I'm talking about coming up on lets say a stop sign and not coming to a full complete stop. If the car is still rolling, even just barely, it doesn't want to go into 1st. As soon as the car stops, it drops in smooth as butter. I find myself coming to a full stop more often which is kind of annoying.

Same goes for 2nd. When going around a corner at lets say 5 or 10, it doesn't want to go into 2nd.

I'm going to play around with double clutching and see if that helps. It probably will, but its kind of annoying to have to do that on a modern synchro transmission.

I'm fully aware of the consequences of trying to put it into 1st going 10 or even 5 mph. I'm talking about coming up on lets say a stop sign and not coming to a full complete stop. If the car is still rolling, even just barely, it doesn't want to go into 1st. As soon as the car stops, it drops in smooth as butter. I find myself coming to a full stop more often which is kind of annoying.

Same goes for 2nd. When going around a corner at lets say 5 or 10, it doesn't want to go into 2nd.

I'm going to play around with double clutching and see if that helps. It probably will, but its kind of annoying to have to do that on a modern synchro transmission.

Have you tried going from 3rd to 2nd instead of just straight to 2nd? Still a little more work, but less clunky than double clutching.

• 2 months later...

So I've been playing around with different things try to get a better shifting experience downshifting into to 2nd, mainly. Just straight double clutching helps some, but if I blip the throttle while double clutching to speed up the input shaft, it shifts in smooth as butter. I have even started using a heel-toe method when I need to still be braking into a corner and want to go into 2nd. I've got a lot more practice to go with that to make it totally smooth and natural. On the bright side, I always wanted to know how to heel-toe so this has given me a real reason to do it.

It's still just odd to me that it doesn't downshift to 2nd smoothly on its own. I wonder if my 2nd gear synchro is worn or its just weak on our tranny. I never get a grinding noise, so I guess that's good.

....Also, there is a pretty big ratio gap between 2nd and 3rd.

you can say that again. god forbid you wind it out all the way in 2nd you'll have a 5 second wait for your revs to come down to a smooth shifting level

No manual car I've owned has ever shifted into 1st nicely while moving faster than 2-3mph. I never minded because dropping into 1st while moving is a bit rough if it does happen and I've just never felt the need to use it while downshifting coming to a slow roll or stop.

I do it from time to time, parking lots and my driveway mostly, I caught myself doing it a few times today after writing my post above. I mainly meant downshifting to slow down, don't think I've ever even tried it.

Archived