Nameless Downpipe: Official 5th Gen GT Install Thread

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok so does any of the group buy buyers feel that they should get some sort of refund for faulty downpipes? Like eleckseven and smoove , during my dyno tune my car with grim speed 3port which nameless recommends , my car was boostin 24 psi and 395 tq and unable to control it, I talk to nameless and said to orient the dp forward ,that's why they drilled the holes in the flange bigger , but there isn't any room to move forward , since dyno tune fail I have only swapped out the down pipe to a invidia catless and car tuned fine did 306-356 on dyno jet,target boost 19.5 and incase creeps over 21 I have a realtime map set at 18.5 , in wot once in a while it will hit high 20's or 21.3 at redline

But pulls nicely , with the nameless and only quarter throttle not even at4k the car hit 24 psi that's just not right. I only swapped downpipes and one works and other doesn't ,should they give a refund?

I agree that some sort of remediation should be offered by nameless whether it be some type of modification or additional parts to complement the DP. Im still on the hopeful side though and when the time comes I want to experiment with using a stock midpipe or stock cans to produce some resistance in flow. The one thing that keeps me hopeful is that the nameless DP may produce more power even with a slightly more restrictive exhaust.

I just want it to be put back to the original design at this point. That would allow it to work now without additional modification and in theory allow for more room to grow when other restrictions to power elsewhere are upgraded.

Sorry I forgot I did have my stock midpipe with nameless dp and nameless 5" axel backs when it was dyno n over boosting, when I dyno the second time I swapped dp and a nameless midpipe so now it's pretty much straight thru with one resonator in midpipe and the two mini 5" mufflers but it tuned perfect builds boost niclely and. Holds, nameless just crazy spike I didn't really feel boost much but I saw my gauge go up so fast you just instantly have to let off

I am going to install mine as soon as I have a day to do so. I figure I can run the ots stage 2 and see what happens then get a custom etune. Gonna wait for milder weather though. It's around 97 during the day now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I am going to install mine as soon as I have a day to do so. I figure I can run the ots stage 2 and see what happens then get a custom etune. Gonna wait for milder weather though. It's around 97 during the day now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Isn't that the truth. I've been considering this route since you suggested. I'd be incredibility upset and disappointed if I dropped 500 for a tune and the DP doesn't cooperate. It sucks to even be in this position.

And these temps are ridiculous. Half the reason I'm waiting.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Small update on my end. I contacted TA for an e-tune cause recently I've felt like the car hasn't been pulling the way it should. After sending my first log to Mike, he said that its boosting too late and too high and that I should check for boost leaks and make sure the EBCS is hooked up correctly. I just had the car checked for leaks when I got my brakes done about a week ago so I dont think thats the issue. Conveniently though I'm taking a trip to CT this weekend so I asked him if I could bring the car by for him to take a look at and he agreed. Hopefully they can fix my issue and shed a little light on this whole fiasco. I'll be back with more info after Saturday.

She made it safely. Comparison pics and measurements will come this weekend.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160526/69e511e85032afa8c3dafb9609a8b612.jpg

Note the soot pattern between the wastegate dump pipe and the extended turbine pipe, this is the area that fahr_side mentioned that the wastegate flow needs to turn multiple times to exit the housing. It is almost wiped clean from what is probably high velocity flow.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160526/19f6377d56eea0ac4e1c39131e5f20de.jpg

Has "this weekend" come yet? :p

Aside from the GB being almost a year ago, I just don't see them doing much if anything about it. I find it so hard to believe that, after doing a GB specifically for us, not one person over there hasn't logged onto the site to follow up or just read as how the people liked the product. What's even worse, is that if they are aware, they are still selling the product. I would love to hear Nameless' feedback on this whole situation.

So, I live about 30 minutes south of Nameless Performance. I was originally considering have Cobb Surgeline or another tuning shop do the install and tune in one shot. But... I've now been considering having Nameless do the install and possibly let them outsource the tuning with whoever they use. My thinking is if they were involved in the installation, they'd also be involved in whatever resolution is needed to get the car to a safe operational state.

Alas, I'm not in any hurry right now to get the car to stage 2, as I now have a few other priorities for the car that are higher than more power.

Small update on my end. I contacted TA for an e-tune cause recently I've felt like the car hasn't been pulling the way it should. After sending my first log to Mike, he said that its boosting too late and too high and that I should check for boost leaks and make sure the EBCS is hooked up correctly. I just had the car checked for leaks when I got my brakes done about a week ago so I dont think thats the issue. Conveniently though I'm taking a trip to CT this weekend so I asked him if I could bring the car by for him to take a look at and he agreed. Hopefully they can fix my issue and shed a little light on this whole fiasco. I'll be back with more info after Saturday.

Can't wait for results. I decided to pull the trigger on an e-tune with TA. Currently have the base map in my inbox, haven't had a chance to flash yet. Hopefully this weekend.

Can't wait for results. I decided to pull the trigger on an e-tune with TA. Currently have the base map in my inbox, haven't had a chance to flash yet. Hopefully this weekend.

Fingers crossed that they might be able to give me and hopefully everyone some more insight as to exactly what causes this and how to fix it. The more I think about it, the more I feel like the boost creep has been a problem from the start and the dude that did the first tune back in November just band-aided it as much as he could. I don't wanna beat a dead horse but I really think we need to get nameless involved soon. The biggest reason I think most of us got this DP was because they said "grants better spool, a more consistent boost curve, and no boost creep." Now I'm sure they didn't intend for this to happen, but at this point that statement is pretty blatant false advertising. What bugs me the most is the fact that they refuse to even acknowledge this as a widespread issue. Sorry for the rant everyone this has just been on my mind for a while.

Edited by Apexofthevortex

Here is the original question from my email thread that I posed to Ryan at Nameless regarding the design change on 8/10/15. I asked him to respond in the GB thread.

Good Morning Ryan!!

Hope you had a great weekend!! Can you please answer the question in Post #69 of the GB thread? I noticed too that the last curve of the wastegate pipe was revised to a straight pipe into the 3" at the big curve on your most recently fabricated DP you did for the jig verification. I was wondering if deleting that last curve maybe has something to do with production efficiency or something to do with how the stresses on the welds of that curve may be affected by variations in expansion/contraction of the different sized pipes and the heat they see post turbo. And is there any affect on the efficiency of the flow from the waste gate pipe into the main exhaust flow? Please reply to that post.

Thanks,

Joe

Here are his responses in the GB thread.

It won't look EXACTLY like the other 3 or 4 that we have built, part of the small revision was to make that circuit with less material consumption. We'll taper the entry as much as it needs, but I would not anticipate this having any more impact than a slight cosmetic one.

-Ryan @ Nameless

The other point to consider, is that due to the handbuilt nature of these parts, none of them will be identical.

-Ryan @ Nameless

The only real difference with the original image (1 of 3-4 ever built) and this latest prototype is the shape of the hole. Since we used an extra bend on the last iteration, the hole was slightly more ovaled whereas this one is rounder. The diameter is identical, and the surface area of the entry point will be the same as well. Due to the space constraints there, not really another way to do it, and we've seen good results with the design that we have.

-Ryan @ Nameless

I guess the question is....What were those "good results"??? Cuz no one here seems to be getting them.

Edited by GTEASER