LegacyGT.com

Boomba 2015 WRX Short Shift Adapter

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heel&toe I can only do 6th-5th and 4th-3rd...moving quick enough down to 3-2 and 5-4 ain't gonna happen

When you grow up drivng a semi at 9years old on a farm and your legs aren't long enough to go all the way to the floor you learn rev match pretty quick in a field.. In my 91leggy I only use the clutch when starting out. Just personal preference and technique.

Im coming up on 60k and will just continue to use ExtraS. Clutch dampener delte is on my 'to-do' list at the same time and then looks like I'll go with the boomba for an Xmas gift to myself

Or rev match :) that's one of those things that comes with time though. Heel/Toe still is hard for me downshifting but up shifting i rarely clutch.

Again, nothing wrong with technique. Not doing anything I haven't done for years. I always rev match downshifts. The grind is actually when upshifting though, so I'm just releasing the clutch as the revs drop.

Or rev match :) that's one of those things that comes with time though. Heel/Toe still is hard for me downshifting but up shifting i rarely clutch.

I had a 1978 Alfa Romeo Alfetta. The trans was in the back and in those things the syncros always go bad. I had to learn heel toe real quick just to drive it. Otherwise every downshift was constant grinding. It is a great skill to have, albeit not always necessary.

^ My experience with that cocktail wasn't anywhere near as good as yours. I may have noticed a slight difference when I first did the fluid change, but that quickly faded after a couple days. It's actually grinding going in to 5th occasionally now. I doubt it's my technique since I'm not doing anything differently than before. Thinking about draining it and putting in straight motul.

Weird. Because for me it was very significant. Are you using at least 3 quarts of lightweight shockproof, the blue stuff?

With that said, ive never had any issues with up shifting. Just downshifting to 4th and 2nd were difficult before the fluid change.

I between the fluid swap and the heavy shift knob, I can row the gears with just my fingers. Up and down, effortless.

Perhaps you have a clutch issue. You shouldnt even need synchros on 5th, let alone good ones.

Yep, same ingredients and amounts that you mentioned. It's odd how these transmissions seem to vary so much. I only have issues downshifting in to 2nd, something that hasn't got better with the fluid change. And since the car was new, I occasionally have issues up shifting to 3rd. Doesn't matter if I shift fast or slow, sometimes it just won't go and I have to back off and try again. I recall someone else on this forum having the same problem with 3rd.

I need to get a heavy knob yet and I'm curious if the weights on the Boomba SSA would improve feel over the Perrin one. I'm all for making these little improvements but I have to admit though, this car is pretty much ruining my love for manual. Most of these mods help but I don't think it will ever be perfect. Must have had a guy with a bad hangover on the assembly line the day my trans was built.

• 5 months later...
the performance shop I take my WRX to highly recommended the Kartboy STS adapter over the Perrin and the Boomba. I was told the boomba one is the worst quality of them all.

What's there to be low quality about it? It's a piece of metal. I have had both the Boomba and the Perrin and they're both machined to the correct specs --- one has counter weights and the other does not. I don't see a relevant difference between all three.

this was per the shop that I get my maintenance done at which is run by Subaru enthusiasts and they all drive WRX's and STI's. I believe they have a deal with Kartboy which is why they push the Kartboy one so much. I took their word for it and ordered it from another vendor who wasn't going to charge me a ridic price like they were. When I had my Legacy I had a lot of success with Kartboy parts so I stuck with them per their recommendation. I know the actual boomba STS with a shorter shift lever isn't so great and the amount of time and labor required to install one takes a really long time.

this was per the shop that I get my maintenance done at which is run by Subaru enthusiasts and they all drive WRX's and STI's. I believe they have a deal with Kartboy which is why they push the Kartboy one so much. I took their word for it and ordered it from another vendor who wasn't going to charge me a ridic price like they were. When I had my Legacy I had a lot of success with Kartboy parts so I stuck with them per their recommendation. I know the actual boomba STS with a shorter shift lever isn't so great and the amount of time and labor required to install one takes a really long time.

It doesn't take that long, really doesn't take any longer than installing say a sts and ssa...now where you are a smidgen right is the sts is not made for the legacy so the angle is off a little bit toward the rear of the shifter box, but in a wrx it probably works just fine.

on the WRX you really need a lift to do the full on STS since you have to go back and fourth between being under the car and inside the car a few times.

Here's a video of the install, I'm guessing it took the Subispeed guys a few hours to do it, the average joe enthusiast I could see this being an all day ordeal especially if you're using jackstands

on the WRX you really need a lift to do the full on STS since you have to go back and fourth between being under the car and inside the car a few times.

Here's a video of the install, I'm guessing it took the Subispeed guys a few hours to do it, the average joe enthusiast I could see this being an all day ordeal especially if you're using jackstands

Actually my name is Joe, and I consider myself average and an enthusaist. I installed the OEM WRX STS in my Legacy in about 3 hours AND in that time took gobs of pics and measurements comparing it to the OEM shifter. The Perrin SSA took maybe an hour. Both things were installed at separate times and included at least one end of the car up on jackstands. It was not by any means an all day affair.

If you have to jump between jackstands and the ground, that becomes time consuming. My car came with the STI STS installed and i'm happy with that. The Kartboy adapter with Bearing and Kartboy Shift Stop, I'm happy.

Lol...you need a lift...lol! I did mine by jacking up the passenger side of the car. You do need to get inside the car to take the shifter out and put it back in. It is the nature is the shifter no matter which brand you use the same work is required. Oh wait, kart boy doesn't have a short shifter for these cars...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Lol...you need a lift...lol! I did mine by jacking up the passenger side of the car. You do need to get inside the car to take the shifter out and put it back in. It is the nature is the shifter no matter which brand you use the same work is required. Oh wait, kart boy doesn't have a short shifter for these cars...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

They make a bushing that goes on the transmission side of things like Boomba and Perrin.

http://www.kartboy.com/x4/product.php?productid=16286&cat=278&bestseller=Y

Which is exactly what I was saying I have all this time :lol: install wasn't the easiest on jackstands but there is a huge difference

Exactly they don't make a short shifter, so there is no need to go inside the car.

Archived