LegacyGT.com

Boomba 2015 WRX Short Shift Adapter

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Boomba DOES make a short shifter, see one of my other posts where i posted a link to that video

Yes boomba does, kart boy does not...I repeat...I have the boomba short shifter and short shift adapter. I installed them myself. You were comparing the installs, which makes no sense with the kart boy only dealing with the transmission arm not the shifter itself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I think it was a miscommunication. What I meant was I would rather not go through the hassle of doing a STS install. I already had the STI short throw shifter installed with the car when I bought it, so that with the Kartboy adapter I am happy with my shifter setup.

I think it was a miscommunication. What I meant was I would rather not go through the hassle of doing a STS install. I already had the STI short throw shifter installed with the car when I bought it, so that with the Kartboy adapter I am happy with my shifter setup.

LOL! I think you both understand that the shift lever and the shift adapter plates are different. I looked at the short shift lever by boomba and watched an install video and I decided that there is no way I want to invest the time and frustration involved for that. Also, the shift plate shortened the shift plenty.

But seriously, what is low quality about the other shift plates? Aside from the Perrin not being counter weighted, what are the effective differences? Has someone had one break or not fit or something?

The only person I know who has removed the perrin and went with the boomba I believe is brandon.mol.

Personally, I think it is user dependent some may like a weighted ssa some may not. Shifter feel is just that "feel" so what feels right to someone may not feel right to another. If you spent most of your manual driving days in something really smooth and tight the stock shifter is going to bother you more than someone who drove stick in a truck or jeep. Me, I already knew about the vague shifting of the subaru transmissions so it was no surprise to me and wasn't really all that bad IMO. But the last manual I drove was an 88 dodge power ram 3/4 ton with 4 speed granny transmission...so yeah.

LOL! I think you both understand that the shift lever and the shift adapter plates are different. I looked at the short shift lever by boomba and watched an install video and I decided that there is no way I want to invest the time and frustration involved for that. Also, the shift plate shortened the shift plenty.

But seriously, what is low quality about the other shift plates? Aside from the Perrin not being counter weighted, what are the effective differences? Has someone had one break or not fit or something?

This was what I was told by the shop I go to for maintenance, they're a Kartboy Dealer so go figure. I however bought my adapter plate from Subimods because said shop wanted to charge me 190 for it and subimods had it for $115. I never heard of boomba until buying this car, but from my experience with previous Subaru's I had great success with all my Kartboy parts.

Nothing wrong with build quality of all three I am sure, the difference is in the function. I've owned a Perrin and currently have a Boomba, and the throw is the same but the Boomba has massive steel counter weights. Just guessing but it probably weighs 4 lbs or so. The Kartboy has weights but nothing like the Boomba one.

It is obviously better than without the weights, and I can confirm that it delivers on that. While the Perrin unit makes your shift more crunchy than stock, the Boomba makes them even more buttery than stock, but with the same short throw as the Perrin. Best of both worlds.

I like the Kartboy one but I've found it to be difficult to get the shifter in to 1st sometimes.

Back in January I went to this shop to get my oil change like I usually do since they use Motul and at a decent price to do the change. Kid comes out while I'm in the waiting area and suggests that I do the KB shifter plate kit because the stock one "feels like a truck" according to him. I said oh like the Boomba one? And he says "The Boomba one is shit, I have a 2015 WRX too and I have the Kartboy one and it makes a huge difference" he's trying to pitch this off to me like a cheap upsell, only to find out their parts and labor for the job was $375, I laughed in his face. I paid $115 for it online, a 12 pack of beer and a few hours with my buddies we installed it. We did it on jackstands so working space was pretty tight.

We got hung up on removing the Roll Pin from the stock one. We didn't have the right size Punch at first and I'm not sure if it's 2 roll pins or the smaller size punch ended up taking the guts out of the roll pin and we were struggling to pull the stock shift plate off. Long story short we finally found the right size punch and got the remainder of the roll pin out and it popped right off. Had we had the right tools from the start this would have taken a half hour to do.

How hard it is to get into 1st doesn't have much to do with the short shift adaptor. They are all going to feel the same since you don't really shift into 1st with any momentum.

Anyone who says the Boomba SSA is shit is either a lying prick or a complete idiot or both. It's a beefy piece of equipment, its weighted very well, and it fits in there like a glove. Installation is the same as the others.

that might be from the Shift Stop, I have to use a bit of force to engage first gear.

Welcome to Subaru's cable actuated 6MT. You'll want to change the tranny fluid often, like every 25-30k miles, with either Motul Gear300 or Redline LWSP to assist with 1st and 2nd gear engagement.

Before I did the Shift Stop and SSA I had that issue with the fluid when it was really cold out, once the car warmed up to temp that would go away. This all of a sudden started happening again once I did the Shift stop and SSA so I think I may have made the SSA too tight. I'm at 22k already in the car so it's due for fluid changes all throughout soon. I swear by Motul fluids so that's what will likely be used. I recently just picked up a Mazda 3 hatch as a daily driver so the mileage has gone down significantly on the car.

Anyone who says the Boomba SSA is shit is either a lying prick or a complete idiot or both.

I agree completely. I just don't see how one correctly shaped piece of metal could be so much better than another. As far as I know they all fit and work, so that's all that matters.

• 1 month later...

Archived