LegacyGT.com

'Break In' oil change

I changed mine at 5months/1500 miles, as I do a lot of city driving, stop-go type type speeds, etc. It did burn off some oil, but not much, during the break-in period.

As laz said, synthetic gets darker quicker, so it's hard to tell its quality when pulling it, but mine was quite dark.

But, going to be every 6 month intervals, as stated in the warranty booklet.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Subaru dealership in New England asked me to come in for an oil change / inspection at 3000 miles.

I am reminded about an AMSOIL video where a lab test engine was run with AMSOIL I believe and then run with high quality petroleum based oil. In each test, they let the oil leak out while the engine was running. The petroleum oil test had the engine seize up in a few minutes. The AMSOIL engine kept running and running.

The petroleum oil test had the engine seize up in a few minutes. The AMSOIL engine kept running and running.

Which only proves that no Amsoil in your engine may be slightly better than no refined petroleum oil in your engine.

I'm not surprised that some dealers recommend 3,000 mile oil change intervals when the customer is paying for them. I wonder how many dealers recommend 3,000 mile intervals when the customer is getting "free oil changes" for the first few years or for the life of the vehicle.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I agree. The Forester has 2years of free oil changes and the Legacy has lifetime and the dealership religiously following Subaru guide lines except they only put in Synthetic oil in Subarus.

But they have incentive points just for coming in and I already have 3 free oil changes earned towards the Forester when the time comes.

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

I'm gonna drop a bomb and then run away.

I don't buy into the recommended intervals much of the time. I don't think any manufacturer wants your car to last forever, just until its out of warranty. It is a balance of satisfaction and making money. They use cheaper parts now than ever before. When your car starts to fail, you pay them to fix it. They make it harder and harder to go anywhere but the dealer. After it fails, they're more than happy to sell you a new one.

I don't buy "lifetime" fluids such as many transmissions are now using. A head master tech at Infiniti says they consider "lifetime" about 100k. I guess that's how long a tranny lasts, but hey, its out of warranty!

Remember when BMW and Mercedes started doing 12k OCI?? Maybe they still do today. I exclusively use Amsoil and would never go near 12k...ever!!!

I've been doing what I think is best and never have issues. Always change oil for the first time at 1k and then every 7500-8000 miles using Amsoil. I'm sure I could go to 10k with no issue, but it is peace of mind.

Many cars with this OCI and never an issue. Wife has an 07 rav4 4-cyl that has no burning issues despite that 2AZ-FE having major oil consumption issues.

So...I go against the grain and say DONT follow the recommended intervals exclusively, do your research and do what you think is best. Or ask a car guy if you don't know...

Just had my first FREE oil change today. I LOVE my dealership...these guys are AWESOME! Let me in the back to watch and got to talk to a Master Tech that's been with Subaru for over 30 years. Had them install my Fumoto Oil Drain Valve. Tech stated that the first oil change should be done at 3K and then the next at 7500. My car has 3700 miles on her. They do a free hand car wash...guy spent over 45 minutes washing exterior...cleaned all the windows inside and out...vacuumed the interior and cleaned all the Weather Tech floor mats. Thought I was going to get a free wax there for a minute...very meticulous. He said, besides oil changes, that all I need to do is the following:

15K miles - cabin air filter

30K miles - cabin air filter, engine air filter, brake fluid change and front & rear diff fluid

There are many things I can do on my own but was interested to hear what he thought I should have done as I maintain ownership of my car.

Happy camper...Brown's Manassas Subaru in Northern, VA

Just had my first FREE oil change today. I LOVE my dealership...these guys are AWESOME! Let me in the back to watch and got to talk to a Master Tech that's been with Subaru for over 30 years. Had them install my Fumoto Oil Drain Valve. Tech stated that the first oil change should be done at 3K and then the next at 7500. My car has 3700 miles on her. They do a free hand car wash...guy spent over 45 minutes washing exterior...cleaned all the windows inside and out...vacuumed the interior and cleaned all the Weather Tech floor mats. Thought I was going to get a free wax there for a minute...very meticulous. He said, besides oil changes, that all I need to do is the following:

15K miles - cabin air filter

30K miles - cabin air filter, engine air filter, brake fluid change and front & rear diff fluid

There are many things I can do on my own but was interested to hear what he thought I should have done as I maintain ownership of my car.

Happy camper...Brown's Manassas Subaru in Northern, VA

Thats where I bought my car from. :)

Perhaps shenanigans but I just had my 15' to the dealer for a 30-day check up.

I asked the SM about the break-in oil period.

He said they check things out at 30 days for any obvious issues (or to record any customer issues) and to check the engine wear.

He said they also estimate the rough time frame when the car will hit 5k miles based on milage delta from the time the car was purchased 30 days ago to schedule that service to ensure the oil is changed out.

In my case, all service within 3 years, 36k miles is "free" with the dealer package I got so for me, I have no issue getting it done when they want within the spec of the manual.

I also get a complimentary rental at my dealer with the dealer package so theres zero reason I won't service the car at the designated intervals.

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine

Yeah, it was one of those, prepay your service up front and get half off

So for like $1,000 I get:

-(6) 5k maintenance coupons w/Roadside assistance

-FREE NYS inspections for as long as I own it ($21 each normally)

-(2) Alignments

-(2) Full detailing

-Paint sealant application that includes 7 yr environmental paint warranty (so like a simoniz) can be re-applied once every 6 months for as long as I own the car

-Interior protection package (for all the upholstery, like a scotchguard) includes 5 yr warranty

-3yr / 36k milage alternate transportation (free rental when I bring it in for service)

-$300 trade-in bonus (they'll give you $300 more than the salesman offers if you trade it in, might be shenanigans, who knows)

So for $1000, yeah I wasn't turning that down

^^^ I believe I read the list correctly but I reread it to make sure I didn't miss anything. I have reposted it in case you missed something.

-(2) Alignments

-(2) Full detailing

-Paint sealant application that includes 7 yr environmental paint warranty (so like a simoniz) can be re-applied once every 6 months for as long as I own the car

-Interior protection package (for all the upholstery, like a scotchguard) includes 5 yr warranty

-3yr / 36k milage alternate transportation (free rental when I bring it in for service)

-$300 trade-in bonus (they'll give you $300 more than the salesman offers if you trade it in, might be shenanigans, who knows)

^^^ I believe I read the list correctly but I reread it to make sure I didn't miss anything. I have reposted it in case you missed something.

-(2) Alignments

-(2) Full detailing

Everything on that list is BS except for "5K maintenance" (which I assume is oil changes) and alignment. The paint and interior protection is snake oil and at best the 'detail' will be having the lot porter vacuum and wash the car.

My dealer included state inspections and free loaner cars without me even asking (or wanting, really)

Popped into the dealer parts dept. and picked up oil & filter for my 'break in' oil change:

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x208/TOO40GAWLF/sub_oil.jpg

I gotta say, the parts guy was super courteous and nice. Usually when I go to my local Ford parts counter, I get treated like crap by the surly old guy that is annoyed someone is bothering him for something or the half wit Honda parts guy who thinks I should pay 2.5X the cost for a part at his counter when I can get it online for much cheaper AND have it shipped to my house (thus saving me a trip to see and deal with his ass again).

Anyway, even at retail OEM parts counter prices, I got 7 qts of synthetic oil, a filter, and 5 drain plug gaskets for $65.xx. Thats a hell of a price for the dealer parts counter.

Everything on that list is BS except for "5K maintenance" (which I assume is oil changes) and alignment. The paint and interior protection is snake oil and at best the 'detail' will be having the lot porter vacuum and wash the car.

My dealer included state inspections and free loaner cars without me even asking (or wanting, really)

All fluids, tire rotations, etc... Basically everything that isn't "normal wear and tear parts" (brakes, tires, etc)

Alignments I get (2) included.

You def got a nice deal with some of that included!

BS or not, I guess you can say I will be able to rest easy knowing its all taken care of.

I've never had a new car before so to me, theres value in it.

All customers get up to (2) free car washes a week as well.

Also, if you do all your maintenance there, they warranty the entire drivetrain and a select part of the suspension as well for the life of the car.

Call me a sucker perhaps, but I'm happy and really that's all that matters =)

As long as the dealership is close to you and convenient to bring your car to get serviced then it makes it a good deal.

The do make a lot of money with the upfront paid services, but it does give you peace of mind.

In the south we get 4 free oil changes included and some dealerships do give you loaners.

Also roadside assistance is included for free from Subaru for the 3/36K period.

---

All fluids, tire rotations, etc... Basically everything that isn't "normal wear and tear parts" (brakes, tires, etc)

Alignments I get (2) included.

You def got a nice deal with some of that included!

BS or not, I guess you can say I will be able to rest easy knowing its all taken care of.

I've never had a new car before so to me, theres value in it.

All customers get up to (2) free car washes a week as well.

Also, if you do all your maintenance there, they warranty the entire drivetrain and a select part of the suspension as well for the life of the car.

Call me a sucker perhaps, but I'm happy and really that's all that matters =)

TWO FREE WASHES A WEEK?!?!?!?! WTF!!! Shortline Subaru doesn't even wash the car after it's been serviced.:eek:

Archived