LegacyGT.com

'Break In' oil change

What are folks' thoughts on this. Wife and I have been thrashing the new car to get proper break in. We're at 600 miles or so now. I was thinking of doing a break in oil & filter change at 500-1000 miles.

I know with modern day filter technology, this isnt as essential as it was back in the day, but it still would make me feel better to do this.

Anybody else have any opinions?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Welcome to the forum your input will be a plus. Setup your profile so we'll be able to help you better. Also Take a few minutes and read through some threads also use the Search function (Magnifying Glass) to see it your questions could be answered faster. Again welcome and looking forward to your experiences.
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Welcome to the forum your input will be a plus. Setup your profile so we'll be able to help you better. Also Take a few minutes and read through some threads also use the Search function (Magnifying Glass) to see it your questions could be answered faster. Again welcome and looking forward to your experiences.

Roger.

Sorry, I should've been more thorough with the search function. :redface:

I've had mine 5 months 4,000 or so miles, just checked my oil and it's still super clean. Was going to do it sooner but now planning to do the first one at the normal 6 month mark, seems unnecessary to do it sooner

Didn't notice you had the 3.6 should've seen that lol. Although I'd assume the oil pan setup is somewhat similar and could be gunked up even though the dipstick is clean.

I get off pouring fresh oil into my engines.....yup, freak! Hah!
Should I be worried?? Prayers for you bud...:lol:

Do whatever let's you sleep at night but I follow Subaru's maintenance

schedule. I see no reason to doubt the engineers that made the car. By no means

go beyond the factory recommendations, regardless of what the various oil companies tell you. They don't hold the warranty.

go beyond the factory recommendations, regardless of what the various oil companies tell you. They don't hold the warranty.

Agreed... It's my understanding that by doing any maintenance outside of the normal schedule recommended by the dealer can actually void the warranty if anything was to go wrong. Chances are, nothing would go wrong, but I know for myself I'd feel better that if anything was to get messed up that it's on the dealer's hands, and not my own for screwing something up.

EDIT: Rowlette did post a good point that of course the oil can be changed early. In my point, I am taking advantage of the deals with the dealer for the oil changes... and won't be doing any of my own maintenance if I can avoid it.

And unrelated... but 100th post on here!! :spin:

Just remember, Subaru wants the 3.6 to be changed at 3k or 3 months then very 6k miles.

2.5i is different. I get off pouring fresh oil into my engines.....yup, freak! Hah!

New Car Break-in period

1000 miles: Drive calmly for the first 1,000 miles and vary your driving with a normal mix of city and highway.

Always note the blue 'cold engine' light on the dashboard- its a visual reminder that the engine is cold.

Avoid hard starts and stops.

Avoid over-revving the engine, try to keep RPMs under 4000.

Vary your speeds over the full range of city and highway driving

Don't use cruise control much, if at all.

City and freeway driving is fine because that will vary the speeds

1st oil change

all models- 6 months or 6,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Its ok to change early, especially with hard driving, cold/hot weather, or manual transmissions that are revved up or downshifted. Its up to the individual owner

Some engine oil will be consumed while driving. Under the following conditions, oil consumption can be increased and thus require refilling between maintenance intervals:

> When the engine is new and within the break-in period

> When the engine oil is of lower quality

> When the incorrect oil viscosity is used

> When engine braking is employed

> When the engine is operated at high engine speeds

> When the engine is operated under heavy loads

> When towing a trailer

> When the engine idles for long periods of time

> When the vehicle is operated in stop and go and/or heavy traffic situations

> When the vehicle is used under severe thermal conditions

> When the vehicle accelerates and decelerates frequently

Under these or similar conditions, you should check your oil at least every 2nd fuel fill-up and change your engine oil more frequently. If your oil consumption rate is greater than 1 quart every 1,200 miles or 1 liter every 2,000 kilometers, contact your Subaru dealer who may perform a test under controlled conditions.

what oil to use

2015 model

engine

oil

Outback2.5L

0w-20 synthetic

3.6L

5w-30 conventional or synthetic

Legacy

2.5L

0w-20 synthetic

3.6L

5w-30 conventional or synthetic

Forester

2.5L

0w-20 synthetic

2.0L turbo

5w-30 synthetic

Crosstrek

2.0L

0w-20 synthetic

2.0 Hybrid

0w-20 synthetic

Impreza

2.0L

0w-20 synthetic

BRZ

2.0L

0w-20 synthetic

WRX

2.0L turbo

5w-30 synthetic

STI

2.5L turno

5w-30 synthetic

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Agreed... It's my understanding that by doing any maintenance outside of the normal schedule recommended by the dealer can actually void the warranty if anything was to go wrong.

Yes. I savor the thought of the carnage that would be unleashed on the poor schmuck that tried to pull the argument that changing the oil prior to the recommended interval caused damage.

Yes. I savor the thought of the carnage that would be unleashed on the poor schmuck that tried to pull the argument that changing the oil prior to the recommended interval caused damage.

I can never understand why this even gets brought up. Is there really someone out

there that said that changing your oil early will cause damage to the engine?

I don't think anyone is against changing oil early for any reason except that

it is really not necessary, at least if it was I think Subaru would suggest it.

Bottom line, your car, your decision. Enjoy your new Legacy!

If you change out your factory fill early, you'll lose out on all the extra molybdenum that gets mixed into the oil from the assembly lubricant! That extra moly will help coat the metal surfaces and prevent damage from the extra wear metals that may be floating around in your oil while the engine is breaking in!

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/moly-basics/

Ok, so I'm just bored and felt like trying to argue in favor of keeping the factory fill in longer. On a more serious note, I agree with the quote below.

What's an oil change? :iam::hide:

On all my Subarus I have waited for the recommended interval. On my 2.5 I waited until the 6K miles. I also drive my car hard and in extreme heat. I've never had issues with oil consumption.e

---

New Car Break-in period

1st oil change

all models- 6 months or 6,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Its ok to change early, especially with hard driving, cold/hot weather, or manual transmissions that are revved up or downshifted. Its up to the individual owner

Hmmm, looks like they did change the requirements on 2015 models. Same engine though (3.6) and they wanted it changed early last year so it really doesn't matter to me....it's been changed already.:cool:

In my own post, I put in that changing the oil early wasn't a bad thing. My point was that there is going to be some dumbass that doesn't know what they are doing when they do it themselves, and is going to screw something up in the process. Thankfully 99.9% of people know what they are doing and wouldn't do anything wrong.

The only reason I mention this is that I saw someone I know that blew the engine in their new car within a couple weeks of changing the oil on their own. Of course it wasn't a Subaru (mistake #1), and they didn't put the drain plug back in properly (mistake #2) so all the oil drained out and seized the engine. Because they did the change themselves, the damage was not covered under warranty.

I was going to put in that it was a woman that did this, but didn't think that was relevant... :lol:

:spin:

:hide:

In my own post, I put in that changing the oil early wasn't a bad thing. My point was that there is going to be some dumbass that doesn't know what they are doing when they do it themselves, and is going to screw something up in the process. Thankfully 99.9% of people know what they are doing and wouldn't do anything wrong.

The only reason I mention this is that I saw someone I know that blew the engine in their new car within a couple weeks of changing the oil on their own. Of course it wasn't a Subaru (mistake #1), and they didn't put the drain plug back in properly (mistake #2) so all the oil drained out and seized the engine. Because they did the change themselves, the damage was not covered under warranty.

I was going to put in that it was a woman that did this, but didn't think that was relevant... :lol:

:spin:

:hide:

Yes, running the car with no oil and changing the oil prior to recommended interval are two different things.

Honestly, I really dont care what the stupidest few % among the population do. If you cant figure out what drain bolt drains what fluid and what filler takes what fluid than you should learn the hard way. Changing oil is so easy on this car, that Im confident you can train a chimp to do it correctly 100% of the time.

Stupid morons are why we live in the nanny state **** **** existence we do today.

^^^agreed but did laz get broken in correctly and will he lead a long and happy life:confused:

I always lead along happy life!! I have a "No Fatties Allowed" sicker on my window. My car will never suffer! :hide:

I checked the oil around 5800 miles and it was still full and not dark. As a side note synthetic oil gets a lot darker than conventional when it is used, it does not mean it is ba.

---

Archived