LegacyGT.com

'Break In' oil change

The highest temp

My oil has ever seen in the summer is 228F.

That was the highest engine oil temperature I'd seen, too, until last July. On a long uphill climb on I-25 between Albuquerque and Santa Fe, at 75 mph with ambient temperature in the lower 90s (F), I saw the oil temperature briefly reach 237 F. (2015 Legacy Premium 2.5)

Temps here in the

winter can get down as low as -20F. 0W-20 synthetic

covers it pretty well.

I agree.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My understanding is that 0W-20 is a thin oil used primarily to maximize fuel economy. I wouldnt be 100% comfortable using this oil in an engine that I thrashed on a regular basis.

Consider that the crankshaft and rod bearing clearances in the FB25 engine ... right at 0.001 inches ... are designed for 0W-20 viscosity engine oil. The engine oil pump specs published in the 2015 FSM, page LU(H4DO)-2, are stated at 248 F (120 C), so we know that the Subaru engineers designed for satisfactory lubrication using 0W-20 oil at oil temperatures as high as that.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Consider that the crankshaft and rod bearing clearances in the FB25 engine ... right at 0.001 inches ... are designed for 0W-20 viscosity engine oil. The engine oil pump specs published in the 2015 FSM, page LU(H4DO)-2, are stated at 248 F (120 C), so we know that the Subaru engineers designed for satisfactory lubrication using 0W-20 oil at oil temperatures as high as that.

Exceptional reply - you Sir are a ruby floating within an unflushed toilet.

... you Sir are a ruby floating within an unflushed toilet.

To paraphrase Abraham Lincoln (or was it Mark Twain?), "If it weren't for the honor of the thing, I'd just as soon pass."

spacer.png

Guess it's a waste of money based on that. So much for getting what u pay for...

I could've sworn this was discussed in depth and filters cut open to show the material. I don't change my Amsoil 0w-20 every 6k. I want a high quality synthetic. Most important single thing u can do for ur car.

Because there are much better quality filters out there that do different things and meet different needs.

What filters are better quality than OEM Subaru? Im asking not to be confrontational, but Im curious as to what they are and what made you believe so.

What are folks' thoughts on this. Wife and I have been thrashing the new car to get proper break in. We're at 600 miles or so now. I was thinking of doing a break in oil & filter change at 500-1000 miles.

I know with modern day filter technology, this isnt as essential as it was back in the day, but it still would make me feel better to do this.

Anybody else have any opinions?

I wonder about "wife" and "thrashing" being used in same sentence.... Somebody's gotta drive normal!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

I wonder about "wife" and "thrashing" being used in same sentence.... Somebody's gotta drive normal!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Well, yeah, youre right. But I told her to vary RPMs and not to drive it like a mouse. I on the other hand, got my fill of proper break in procedures in before the 1000 mile mark. Since then, Ive let her have the car exclusively. I only drive it when it needs to get gas. Im fairly confident the engine is broken in very well.

You need to teach her how to gas it up too:lol:

No. I record the gas data of all our cars and track it. I dont care about efficiency, I just want to monitor to see if there are any drop offs, bad fuel, etc. Plus, I have a favorite station and she wont go there if I rely on her to do it.

There are things I don't let my do either...;)

Hey, I have to give my wife credit - for a woman she is super knowledgable about car stuff - more than most latte sipping men. However, with me around, she knows that she doesnt have to be super on top of things maintenance wise for the car because I will get it.

Just did my first oil change, really glad I got the Fumoto valve as I went through plenty of paper towels wiping out the underbody aero panel. Other than that it was great, the filter right on top is awesome.

So for anyone curious, this is the results of my UOA:

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x208/TOO40GAWLF/UOA.jpg

Nothing unexpected, but Im curious as to the low viscosity of the Subaru brand oil. If it keeps up, I will likely just switch to Mobil 1.

I'm glad my dealership gives free oil changes for life (as long as I own the car, of course)! With these puppies taking Full Synthetic Oil, the cost will add up over the 7-10 years I plan on owning the car.

Right on, that $25 jug of oil and $5 filter (doing it yourself) or ~$75 at the dealer 2 times a year would be a financial back breaker, huh? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

EDIT: Its very admirable that you are planning on keeping the car for a decade. I too plan to keep our for at least that. However, timely oil changes are a small part of the cost of owning and maintaining a car. The time investment that you will make taking your car to the dealer, waiting, and bringing your car back will far outweigh (in my opinion) the small amount saved by not doing it yourself in 30 minutes at home.

Wow! ^^^ That's pretty amazing!!

Yeah, with all that metal floating around in the oil, I just didnt want to let it go for another 5000 miles before its scheduled first oil change. I know the filter does a great job, but it really doesnt hurt just to take the precaution and give it an early oil change.

Archived